Brownies Trial Two

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brownies Trial Two

I'm going to make up another batch of brownies again over the weekend, and what I was wondering is instead of using dry bud, could I get away with using the half dried bud instead? This means it wont be cured and fully dry. Its still damp but I won't be smoking it, I'll be making oil instead. The bud itself is a mixture of over-ripe and under ripe plus I have a bag of leafs that I read takes 2 days to cook in oil, and since I'm moving, I figure get rid of the bud now and keep my good stuff for smoking. Any feedback would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Lord-Xanthor; 02-17-2017, 04:58 PM. Reason: Adding tags

if you deoxycarbolize (mspll or not a word) first would that maybe take care of the not-yet-dried issue?
    "i try to play the ball not the opponent."--Roger Federer

Comment

• bobsakamoto
      bobsakamoto commented
      Editing a comment
      thank you, Dagmar ...knew i didn't have it right but didn't have time to look it up...

• Lord-Xanthor
      Lord-Xanthor commented
      Editing a comment
      Dagmar, bobsakamoto, and DW2. If I'm doing that with the bud, can I get away with doing the same to the 3 ounces of sugar leafs and cut out a day and a half time cooking it all in oil? Thanks again for your input too! Your all a great help!

• DW2
      DW2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Definitely, I nipped some small little buds with the sugar leaves on them (the buds were way down at the bottom of the plant, in the shade.... enough justification! lol), wrapped the in a foil pouch, and baked them for about an hour. They were green, not dried at all, and they shriveled quite a lot, turned very dark, almost brown, and crisp! I tried them in my can and it smoked very smooth, for so fresh.

If you pre-bake it, You can get rid of some of the 'green' taste (I think that was what bob was trying to say?). I over baked some at 220 deg F, forgot to set the timer, and left it in for a hour and a half. When I tried it, it was surprisingly smooth, like it had been cured, but not as smooth as if it had.
    Hope they turn out!
    Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

I usually save sugar leaves, popcorn buds and trim in the freezer (fresh to frozen) until I'm ready to used it. Then I lay it out on a screen for 2-3 days to dry out. Then I have used it in different ways. Decarb for cooking etibles, or for tinctures, or RSO.
      I like big buds and I can not lie.

Somango XXL (3 gal)
      Blue Mystic (7 gal)
      VIPARSPECTRA 450W LED Grow Light
      Coco Coir w/30% perlite
      Fox Farms Nutrients plus Cal-Mag Plus

Comment

Don't forget your bib this time is all I got on the subject! Saw the subject title and feared you were at it again!😂😅😂
        x1 LED Cirrus T5 500w, x3 Sun System LEC315, x1 Nanolux LEC315, Saturn 5 controller, x4 6" can vents, 8800 btu A/C, 70 pint dehumidifier

Comment

Last recipe the bud was bought and I used an ounce of combined: Girl Scout Cookies, Gorilla Glue, Sugar Cookies, Wedding Cake, Jack Frost, and Sweet Dreams into 2 cups of oil, which at the time I was only going to use 1-1/3 cup of that oil, but instead I didn't filter it and used it all in the brownie mix. My day and a half nap told me enough it might have been a little to strong. This time around I have an ounce and a half of bud before drying in oven so decided to dry it all and use it for tonight's brownies I just weighed the ziplock bag of sugar leafs and they weigh 5.5 ounces before drying. Going to use the bag to make a seperate bottle of cannaoil. Is that enough to make a full bottle of 33 ounces of Canna Oil? I'll check the weight of the bud itself after drying in oven for an hour. As for the smell, I put my spare charcoal filter fan right in front of the oven with the exhaust outside so no smells so far.

Comment

Looks like I'm going to have to do the leafs too in this recipe. The bud alone weighs 1/3 of an ounce after drying.
            Forgot to mention this time I'm using Big Bud and Mango.

I think the bud was dried too much. No stickiness and came right off the branches. The leafs, should I cook them till they just break apart or dry enough where they are oily and sticky?
            Last edited by Lord-Xanthor; 02-17-2017, 11:40 PM. Reason: forgot to ask something important

Comment

BTW, using a toaster oven to do this. Unfortunately, my regular oven has been broken for 6 months and when I tried to buy a replacement, my landlord refused to let me have it installed.

Comment

• DW2
                DW2 commented
                Editing a comment
                If the toaster oven will not get hot enough, just let it bake a little longer to allow for the lower temperature. The decarbonizing should continue, it just will be slower.

• Lord-Xanthor
                Lord-Xanthor commented
                Editing a comment
                It's a Black & Decker. Goes up to 475 degrees. The leafs are almost done. I been opening the oven every 15 minutes to stir up the contents so the whole thing dries evenly. Lot of it is getting crispy. Will use my grinder on them once done. Buds took only 25 minutes to do and was definitely over dried. Combined, I'm considering making at least 20 ounces of oil. Will check the weight before the next step. My son walked into the kitchen and was like "That smells good, What is it?" Which told me the filter fan is definitely doing its job. Then he opened the oven to take a whiff, and was like "OMG, PLEASE DONT TELL ME WERE EATING THAT FOR DINNER!!!!!!" That's when I handed him a Salisbury Steak and he left with a smile.
                Last edited by Lord-Xanthor; 02-18-2017, 12:20 AM.

The leafs are finally done. The final weight after drying is 1.15 ounces. The bud itself was .30 ounces so going to make up some oil combining it all. I'm thinking 20 ounces of oil or should I go with 10? Any suggestions? Pictures as follows.

Comment

• Lord-Xanthor
                Lord-Xanthor commented
                Editing a comment
                I am obviously making the CannaOil correctly despite using leafs this time besides bud because the smell is just as bad if not worse than last time and my Charcoal Filter is on Full Blast.

Question. Since I'm cooking both crushed bud and crushed leaf together in 8 cups of Crisco, how many hours should I be cooking this? More than two?

Comment

• bobsakamoto
                bobsakamoto commented
                Editing a comment
                i make edibles for my best friend and have found that 2 hours is the minimum (this is of course predicated on his reporting of "strength" but we've been doing it for so long now that i'm semi confident in my info). and anything after that is incrementally better but weighed against it taking longer.

and he used to smoke only so i feel like he's a good "guage"/measuring stick...

• Lord-Xanthor
                Lord-Xanthor commented
                Editing a comment
                My first batch I made with just bud two weeks ago, I cooked the oil for 3 hours. The only heads up that told me I did something right was the fact that 3 one inch squares 3/4 in thick brownies put me to sleep for a day and a half. My wife on the other hand raided the rest without even sleeping an extra hour. Go figure. The oil stopped steaming and is golden brown. Might give it another 2 hours.

• bobsakamoto
                bobsakamoto commented
                Editing a comment
                i remember that!!! i remember being worried about you, ala Lucky's comment above. something also about missing car keys, no?

Finished the oil, and even though I kept stirring it, it looks like the bud and leafs somehow burned? I hope the brownies come out better than the way the oil smells. Had cooked it about 4 hours on low.

Comment

• DW2
                DW2 commented
                Editing a comment
                Lord-Xanthor, I have not ever made any oil or butter, what kind of oil do You use? Way back in the 70's we just ground up the smoke, put it in the brownie mix (with extra chocolate syrup) and baked them. the quality of the pot, back then, was not as good as it seems to be today.

• Lord-Xanthor
                Lord-Xanthor commented
                Editing a comment
                I use Crisco. The oil is fine, its just that the contents burned up in the oil. Sort of like what a French fry looks like when they fall out of the fry basket into the oil for over an hour. I strained everything, but wonder if its going to have a burned taste even though absolutely nothing burned on the bottom of the pot.

• DW2
                DW2 commented
                Editing a comment
                First rule of advertising, if there is a problem with the product that You can not fix, just call it a feature! Just say it's got a grilled smokie taste! LOL

Batch #2. See you all Monday

Seems the overcooked oil didn't have an effect on the brownie taste. My wife just had seconds and she is more picky with food than my kids are. Just got done wrapping them all up. Had to make normal ones for my kids, and then the magical ones for us adults. I make sure to use two different brands to make it more easy to tell the normal from the abnormal. The look my kids give me when I locked mine up, was a look of "Is dad dealing with a full deck?" Type of look.
              Last edited by Lord-Xanthor; 02-19-2017, 04:24 AM.

Comment

bobsakamoto . It took care of the issue for me. The fact Im typing this now shows me these turned out weaker than my last batch.

Comment

• bobsakamoto
                  bobsakamoto commented
                  Editing a comment
                  YAYYYY....yeah, i was WUURRREEED about you and that last batch! (see comment above)

if you don't like the crisco or it's gonna burn on you, and you're interested enough to go down this wormhole, go to

seriouseatsDOTcom and look up different smoking points of oil...the guy that runs the site is a science geek turned cooking geek and he does all kinds of different for real legit experiments to test common knowledge/received wisdom in all areas cooking stuff...

it's cool as shit if that kind of thing floats your boat...

• Lord-Xanthor
                  Lord-Xanthor commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My objective was to make my own strains, one high in cbd, low thc, one high thc, high cbd, and one med cbd, med thc. Been buying medical cannabis to get an idea of where I want to go with this and the brownies proved a very strong point. I need to make huge adjustments before baking because the oil is about 70% higher in chemicals than I thought possible, and as you can see I didn't sleep a day and a half this time around due to only having half a brownie and that alone was like having a house dropped on you lol. Thanks for the additional info bobsakamoto. I think last time I had 6 once inch squares.

Originally posted by Lord-Xanthor View Post
                The leafs are finally done. The final weight after drying is 1.15 ounces. The bud itself was .30 ounces so going to make up some oil combining it all. I'm thinking 20 ounces of oil or should I go with 10? Any suggestions? Pictures as follows.
                Trial part III. I am making a new bottle of Cannabis oil. I'm drying a bunch of leafs I had kept frozen in three large zip lock bags. Its a combination from all female plants from the top of each plant, and some from below. The plants the leafs are from are Girl Scout Cookie, Pineapple Kush, THC bomb, THC Snow and Big Bud auto. The crushed leafs after drying came to two and a half ounces. On top of that, I have two ounces of bud I crushed which include Gorilla Glue (Had to cut manually, this stuff gums up the works) Girl Scout Cookie, Apollo 13, Purple dream, Blue Haze, OG Kush, And something a friend gave me I think called Acid Rain. So now I'm mixing two and a half ounces of crushed sugar leafs plus 2 ounces of crushed bud. Now, I just bought 48 ounce bottle of Crisco Oil. I don't just want to make oil for the brownies I'm making later, I want to have a lot left over to make other things. is 48 ounces of oil enough or do I need to buy more oil or use less oil ? Thanks again.

Comment

• LuckyAcres
                  LuckyAcres commented
                  Editing a comment
                  "You'll shoot your eye out kid!" What is this ? Suicide by brownies?

I vape my stuff and then use the used up stuff to make brownies, and cut into 9 squares to give you an idea what size they are, but one of those is all you want. 2 of them you'll be tripping! You gotta be careful with these brownies! LOL who would have thunk!
                Team AutoMechanics

Comment

• Lord-Xanthor
                  Lord-Xanthor commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sonnyhad You mean you use the resin for making brownies? Its the only thing I can think of being left after vaping weed, as I would of thought the weed itself would be burned up. Then again, I'm assuming vaping is similar to a water pipe? Before I got my license for medical marijuana in December, I hadn't had a chance to smoke a bowl since I believe 1996. Since then a lot of new things had come out for consuming cannabis.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X