Ph?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ph?

I bought a Ph meter for liquids, the only name on it is "pH" and if I turn it upside down it reads 'Hd". I also received a TDS&EC meter that came together. My problem is as follows. My tap water is reading 7.9, which I believe is high. I will include a couple of pics and I don't believe they are suffering. I don't trust this meter without corroboration. I use a Nikon coolpix so I don't think I can do much more with detail.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0469.JPG
Views:	331
Size:	1.81 MB
ID:	574235Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0468.JPG
Views:	299
Size:	1.85 MB
ID:	574236Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0471.JPG
Views:	298
Size:	2.04 MB
ID:	574237Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0455.JPG
Views:	292
Size:	2.03 MB
ID:	574238

Based on your pics, the dark green leaf color, and overall health I'd venture to say that you're in the golden zone as far as PH goes.

Comment

• Satyaban
      Satyaban commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. That means a lot to a first time serious grower. I will test some run off the next time I have some.

What kind of meters? The cheap ebay ones are junk. I just sent three TDS meters back for a refund.

Got a Apera TDS 20. The old meters would show my well eater at 440 ppm but the Apera show it at 730 ppm. You can calibrate the Apera too easily.

Comment

• Satyaban
      Satyaban commented
      Editing a comment
      That is the one that came with the Ph meter. Is that a Ph meter as well, I have hardly looked at it and worked with the other.
      Last edited by Satyaban; 08-22-2022, 10:06 AM.

• 3Berries
      3Berries commented
      Editing a comment
      There are similar looking pH meters they are no good too. The one pictured is just a TDS/PPM/EC meter

Did you calibrate the meter with the solutions that should have come with it?
    Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

• Satyaban
      Satyaban commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, I used the solution that calibrated it to one tenth.

As is said above use some 7.0 calibration liquid. You will be able to tell if your meter is accurate if not switch to calibration mode and set at 7.

Comment

Dunk it in a cup of milk, if it reads around 7 you're good.

Comment

• Satyaban
        Satyaban commented
        Editing a comment
        Cool, I am going to try that as a check. It is easy enough to re-calibrate.

• Smokesteve
        Smokesteve commented
        Editing a comment
        This is an inaccurate approach.

When I turn it upside down it says hd😂😂😂. You don't smoke weed do you.
      keeping it green with the soil thing
      love me some frosty autos
      braap
      BRAAPZAI https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...162-braaap-zai
      Mephisto run. yeah i know spellcheck https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-memphisto-run
      the fruit basket https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...et-auto-runrun
      blue strawberries in a four assed galaxy https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...r-assed-galaxy

Comment

Originally posted by 3Berries View Post
        What kind of meters? The cheap ebay ones are junk. I just sent three TDS meters back for a refund.

Got a Apera TDS 20. The old meters would show my well eater at 440 ppm but the Apera show it at 730 ppm. You can calibrate the Apera too easily.
        Seriously, what is that gizmo for? My guess is it would be good for hydroponics. I put the hot soil on the bottom so I don't have to feed them any more. I bought the Ph meter and this came with it on Amazon, junk is junk no mater where it is bought or how much it cost.
        Last edited by Satyaban; 08-22-2022, 12:26 PM.

Comment

• 3Berries
          3Berries commented
          Editing a comment
          That is a Total Dissolved Solids/EC/PPM meter. You just dip it in the liquid mixture.

I ditched my meter for this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1 much easier.
        Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

• Satyaban
          Satyaban commented
          Editing a comment
          I looked at that and I think I read some reviews, that and the notation that it is not for water caused me to decide not to buy it. If the accuracy is confirmed there isn't anything easier than dipping this in water or liquid. I thought about going to the fish store for a kit but I remembered what I had to do when I had 3 fish tanks with the biggest being 50 gal.

• Ckbrew
          Ckbrew commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't know what you mean by not for water, or maybe I misunderstand you. Yes these papers are designed for measuring pH in an aqueous (water) solution, and while they do not have the accuracy of a properly functioning and calibrated meter, they are accurate enough for growing cannabis. Just dip and read.

• Satyaban
          Satyaban commented
          Editing a comment
          The damned thing would not stop moving long enough to read it when I stuck it in water, numbers would bounce around and stop at all zeros. To hell with it, I am just going to put lemon juice in my tap, maybe 3 teaspoons for every 5 gallons of water, otherwise I am going to do nothing.

Don't let that pH probe dry out!

Comment

I invested in Bluelab pH meters for liquid and soil and had no issues with them. I haven't used either in six months because I moved to organic living soil. All I do now is let the water stand about 24 hours with an airstone going in the bucket. Most cities' tap water is weakly buffered mildly basic to avoid lead leaching into drinking water. It doesn't take a lot to drop it below 7.0.
          Coconut Grove
          4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Liberty Haze, Acapulco Gold, Lavender and Sweet Amnesia Haze.

3x3 tent, Platinum P300 LED. Flowering two Tangies.

Flower tent:
          4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Super Lemon Haze, Durban Poison and two Tangie x Blueberry crosses.

Nursery:
          32"x32" tent with Feit white LED. Vegging four Mother's Finest.

Coco/Perlite/worm castings/mycorrhizae living soil mix.
          Down-To-Earth dry amendments. Gnarly Barley added weekly. Eisenia fetida.

On deck: Winter indicas.

Comment

The tap water where I live:

How do we measure pH?

pH is measured with a probe that is lowered by staff or volunteers into the water at each station location. pH readings are recorded half-way between the water’s surface and the river bottom. We assess the pH data using the State of XXXs instantaneous numeric threshold range of 6.5 – 8.5 (SU pH), which ensures the protection of the ecological health of animal and plant populations in the State’s streams and rivers from harmful acidic or basic pH conditions.

What I didn't include is that this water is collected into reservoirs. I am going to add lemon juice to my water just to be safe.
            I just made a short visit to my basement and the plants are literally exploding with growth so something is working right. I will put new photos up in the Runts thread.

Last edited by Satyaban; 08-23-2022, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X