• Show
Clear All

SOIL Crossing SweetCheese/Afghan

Hello dear GWE community!

This is my first post.

Today I switched to 12/12.
    My current grow consists of a fem.
    Sweet Cheese from Sweet Seeds.
    14 weeks of vegetative growth. Main-Lining.

Since I have pollen from two beautiful afghans from Spliff Seeds, I would like to partially pollinate.
    Just one of my eight main buds.

My procedure:
    1. Circulating Air and exhaust off. Close window.
    2. Put some Pollen in a zip lock. (Other room)
    3. Add a few drops of Water.
    4. Apply the Water-Pollen Mixture with a Brush.
    5. Put a cellophane bag over the bud, close it. (24h)
    6. Exhaust air only, for the next 24 hours.
    7. Pregnant (?)

Do you think this could work?
    So far I have only done group sex.
    This time I want it to be a little quieter. More flowers.

I expect ten to twelve weeks of flowering.
    Pollination should take place in week three or four.

I will report in any case and am curious about your opinion on the planned procedure.

Seeya. Have a good week!

I would say you have a great chance of succeeding in what you are attempting to accomplish. As you are aware, of course there is a chance things will falter, due to pollens size, weight, and ability to travel over long distances. 10 miles outdoors. I'd add could consider wiping tent out periodically until cellophane bag is out of the tent. Good luck bud, hope things work as planned
    Last edited by GroBuddy; 08-21-2022, 08:19 PM.

Comment

I've done selective pollination a few times. The learning curve taught me not to try and cover the bud itself because it can get really difficult to apply pollen and when you remove the bag it spreads it. What I learned to do is use a large sheet of plastic and make a cross cut in it and pull the branch I want to pollinate through that opening covering the rest of the plant with the rest of the sheeting. I'm not sure of the purpose behind adding water to your pollen because it seems like that may just create a paste that won't want to come off your brush, Most folks just dip the brush in the dry pollen and then gently flick the bristles across the buds you want to seed. The sticky trichomes do a pretty good jog of keeping hold of it. Occasionally a few surrounding buds might get a couple seeds but not enough to make poor buds. Good luck -

Comment

That sounds risky to me because 1. you don't know what the pollen will do after it drys, could it blow around, 2. would the seed production draw energy from the whole plant? I had 3 but you know, I lost it while typing the others. I have seen videos of it being blown on but not your method, nor pollinating a few buds of a plant. Have you seen either of these before? How cloning, then you could pollinate in isolation to avoid contamination as GroBuddy mentioned. Good luck with your plan.

Comment

When I tried to selectively pollinate I ended up with a seedy grow for all 6 plants in the tent.

My method was to remove the one plant I wanted to seed from the tent. I had the pollen in a baggie. So I used a paint brush to get a bit and I picked a few buds to impregnate. Then I sprayed the buds with pH'd water thinking I'd get any stray pollen off random leaves or whatever and reduce the spread.

Whomp-whomp. The whole tent was seeded by the time I harvested. It varied from a few seeds to many but all the plants were impacted.

If your method results in a successful way to selectively pollinate that does not spread throughout the tent then please post back and that will be very helpful information. Thnaks!

Comment

Thank you all for your input!

GroBuddy

Wiping out the tent during the process possibly gets things going which I don't want.
            A bag removed by a careless movement for example. That's the kind of thing that happens to me. :P
            I hope so too. Fingers crossed.

crucialbunny

The method you describe is also on my mind.

A paste is exactly what seems beneficial to me.
            It seems to limit, at least in theory, the otherwise extremely easy spread of pollen to the water droplets.
            Bound to the water and therefore much more immobile?

I am almost certain that the brush picks up the liquid and the bud picks up the mixture.
            If this happens only partially, it is enough.

Satyaban

To the best of my knowledge, the pollen "dies" after it has completed its task of fertilization.

I think you might be right about the energy redirection.
            However, nature wants to reproduce at any cost. Therefore, I think the other flowers will continue to do their best to achieve this.
            They form more and more hairs to increase the probability of further fertilization.

I have a clone of the Sweet Cheese topping already in the garden.
            ​​I will probably try the indoor experiment anyway, just to see how it works.
            ​​​​​

billyboy

I hope this does not happen to me. Anyway, at least you had enough seeds. :P
            I use the brush method outdoors! It seems a bit risky to me indoors,
            even though many report success, with little "collateral damage".

I like to keep everyone interested up to date!
            Pictures will follow as soon as I have the time and desire for it!
            Last edited by MouseBeaver; 08-22-2022, 05:46 AM.

Comment

So actually i found time and desire to share some pictures. :P
              ​​

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
                SoOrbudgal commented
                Editing a comment
                Good luck with the breeding

• MouseBeaver
                MouseBeaver commented
                Editing a comment
                Thc! I'm just messing around a little bit.

I am less concerned with selection.
                It's more about the joy of the often unique diversity.

Satyaban

"I have seen videos of it being blown on but not your method,
              nor pollinating a few buds of a plant. Have you seen either of these before?"

I think I'm way too high right now. Do you mean have I seen videos of someone blowing pollen on their plants?
              Out of the palm of their hand, so to speak. Very funny idea.
              Last edited by MouseBeaver; 08-22-2022, 05:04 PM.

Comment

• Satyaban
                Satyaban commented
                Editing a comment
                I meant have you seen videos of any of these methods, blowing it on, painting it on, or pollinating individual buds on a plant.

• MouseBeaver
                MouseBeaver commented
                Editing a comment
                Ah. No, i dont. Usually i go with try and error. If i feel very unsafe i take a look at video how to's.

Water usually destroys pollen; I wouldn't think that making a paste would work. Also, I'm growing some unintentional Tangie/Blueberry crosses that came to be because I forgot to unplug an oscillating fan before trying to pollinate just a few Kosher Kush buds. Isolation is the best way. Spritzing the female before returning her to the tent is advised.
              Coconut Grove
              4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Liberty Haze, Acapulco Gold, Lavender and Sweet Amnesia Haze.

3x3 tent, Platinum P300 LED. Flowering two Tangies.

Flower tent:
              4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Super Lemon Haze, Durban Poison and two Tangie x Blueberry crosses.

Nursery:
              32"x32" tent with Feit white LED. Vegging four Mother's Finest.

Coco/Perlite/worm castings/mycorrhizae living soil mix.
              Down-To-Earth dry amendments. Gnarly Barley added weekly. Eisenia fetida.

On deck: Winter indicas.

Comment

• MouseBeaver
                MouseBeaver commented
                Editing a comment
                Pollen germinates in contact with water.
                And thus becomes infertile, as you describe.
                I've read that before from various sources.

Tangie/blueberry definitely sounds like a tasty mix! Have you tested any seeds from it yet?

Still, with nature's survival instinct and ingenuity, I find it hard to imagine it happening within a very short time.
                At least, I think some of it may well do its job.

The plan is to have a structured procedure so that from mixing the pollen with water,
                to applying it, takes less than 30 seconds.

Since she is the only lady in the house in this run, isolation doesn't matter.
                And since spritzing down after application is recommended, and seems to work,
                I can imagine that my approach could be successful.

I am very excited and will report to you!

• UndergroundFarmer
                UndergroundFarmer commented
                Editing a comment
                I've only started two of those TXBB seeds ever and they are in early veg. It will be interesting to see what the finished product is like or if the bud from those two will be the same or not - if both are females. Good luck with the SCXA.

UndergroundFarmer

How are your TXBB doing?
              What week vegetative phase?
              Feel free to upload photos to this thread if you'd like. This is valid for everyone. As long as we have the reference to cross.

If they show very similar growth, there is a possibility. It's totally exciting. Two more weeks until I can pollinate.

More photos will follow next week.

Sweet Cheese / Sweet Seeds / 14W Veg / 2 Days after 12/12
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220823_152623_028.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	573.1 KB
ID:	574938

Comment

• UndergroundFarmer
                UndergroundFarmer commented
                Editing a comment
                They're doing fine. They are about three weeks old and are nearly big enough to top. I'm going to manifold them like everything else I'm doing in the pickers. I can see you've got yours mainlined. It's almost the same except you get eight tops from the first and third nodes from the two main stems instead of topping three times.

• MouseBeaver
                MouseBeaver commented
                Editing a comment
                You mean the modified main lining of Nebula?

I had time to kill until my Terminator finished its seeds, so I went with Nugbucket's approach.

I generally like to grow my plants outdoors before they went inside. Using the sun to save electricity.

I like your name. Next year I want to grow Crystal M.E.T.H from Dr. Underground.

And cross as well. Probably with a Cheesecake (LSA).
                I love cheese! Psychedelic cheese.

Today we have day 13 after 12/12.

I suspect an incipient nitrogen deficiency.

That's why I applied a thin layer of horn shavings and spread some fresh soil over it, before watering today.

I gave the clone quite a beating.
              My mind is not on the matter.

At least now you can admire the result of excessive treatment with canola oil.
              The mixture was too strong.
              Reason for the treatment were spider mites.
              I hope she recovers.

The last image shows a Brugmansia arborea.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220903_123258_037.jpg Views:	0 Size:	588.1 KB ID:	575259

​​​
              Attached Files
              Last edited by MouseBeaver; 09-03-2022, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Stalker Day 15 after 12/12 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220905_211223_070.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	776.7 KB
ID:	575557
                Attached Files

Comment

Holy smokes! Fucking nice, real nice, man.

Comment

• MouseBeaver
                    MouseBeaver commented
                    Editing a comment
                    This strain is growing slowly, will probably escalate over time.
                    I plan a total of 12 weeks of flowering. Now we are only at Day 16 after 12/12.

In probably two weeks I will pollinate. Let's see if the method works.

I will show the progress until the end. Every week one or two pictures.

As promised, an update.

Sweet Cheese/Sweet Seeds
                  14W Veg. Day 28 after 12/12

150W Baboboard
                  Ercole Supervega 9L

This led board triggered the reddening of the stem, leaves and some of the flowers on every plant so far.
                  I like it very much. No advertising, honestly so. If it were crap I would say that it is crap.

The plant hardly gained any height so far since the change to 12/12. I'm curious to see the final height.
                  Slowly the smell is developing. Cheese is so far only with a lot of imagination to sniff. A touch now and then.

6.5cm growth in the flowers, as a maximum.
                  The stem has a height of a little more than 10cm.
                  Thus, we have so far a maximum height of 16.5cm.

A height as low as possible was planned.
                  I wanted to see how far you can go.
                  And I'm sure more (or less) is possible. :P

The planned experiment will probably take place next Sunday.
                  The QaDAS (QuickandDirtyAqeousSolution) as I would call it, will hopefully work.

Another name could be PAS (PollinatedAqeousSolution).

The current plan is 12 weeks of flowering total.
                  I am toying with the idea of 16 weeks total.
                  We will see how she wants it.

Watering is done with a mixture of distilled water and tap water.
                  I mix 6 drops of BIOBIZZ-Bloom/AlgaMic/ActiVera/CalMag per 2 liters.
                  The water has a pH of about 6.5 after mixing.

I also use during the grow:

Equisetum arvense
                  Urticaceae
                  Mycorrhiza
                  Daily Music and fore sure TLC.

Do you think I should pollinate next Sunday, or rather wait, since I plan a long flowering period?

All the best to you all in these stormy times!
                  Greetings from the Mausbiber.

Attached Files
                  Last edited by MouseBeaver; 09-18-2022, 09:58 AM.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
                    SoOrbudgal commented
                    Editing a comment
                    She looks the right size but seems to need more N

• MouseBeaver
                    MouseBeaver commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thats why i added a thin layer of horn sheets and a also thin layer of fresh soil two weeks before.

Yesterday ive read that sativas have a lighter green. Thats why they really Need more light to thrive.
                    Its cause they have less Chlorophyll in their leaves. Makes kind of sense if you ask me.
                    Their longer flowering periods. And their Origin. Full of bursting Sun, the whole year.

Mainly growed Indica or Indica dominant Hybrids.
                    So i cant say much more about this topic then i read about it.

For those who wonder.

First Picture shows the actuall Baboboard.

Second Pictre shows my Baboboard. ​​​​

Name:	bloomstar_1-bloomstar-baboboard-22-set-150w_3.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	576510

Name:	spectrum-babo-red.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	576511

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X