New strain every grow??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New strain every grow??

Who feels like they don't want to repeat a strain? I just chopped my Jack Herer Auto Fem and I'm going to try and squeeze in a late summer/fall grow of a Strawberry Kush by Jean-O's Genetics. Next spring I think I want to try something else after that. This leads to having a seed collection, right??

Absolutely. Everyone should have a seed collection, because you never know when a pandemic's gonna come along and make things difficult, or when bureaucracy is going to jam up the works and make it hard for breeders to sell seeds. I have a shit ton of seeds.

And while I try new seeds all the time, I grow my fans' favorites on a regular basis. But when new Cup Winners come out, or the THC percentage is way high on a new seed, I'ma have to try it.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	seeds.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	2.71 MB
ID:	572348
    Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
    2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
    Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

I love trying new strains and yes i too have a good selection in my collection all i need is a warehouse size of tent an lights if i want to live long enough to try them LOL, naww two tents are enough.
      Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
      indoor/outdoor grower
      1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
      1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
      I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
      Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
      Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
      Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

I had the same mindset about repeating strains but then I wondered If I grew a strain in a repeat could I do a better job and get a better harvest? So I've changed my mind. And yes, I do have a good supply of seeds, but then again is there ever enough?
        Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11", HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Autopot system, Coco 50/50 perlite: Ace Seeds fem photo Purple Haze x Malawi x 2 Seeds dropped 2-2-24
        Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: 100% Sativa Ace Seeds Malawi x 4
        Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

Comment

Well gee! I agree with all of you. I grow five plants at a time. I buy my seeds in three packs and generally grow three strains at a time, So, I always have four seeds left over (assuming all of my seeds germinate). This means that I grow each strain at least twice. Variety is the spice of life. While I am always on the lookout for something new and I have begun to eschew bargain seeds, I don't go for the latest and newest. Usually I order something that has been around long enough that other people review and comment on it. If you learn from others, you can save yourself a ton or trial and error.
          Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
          5 gallon cloth pots
          30"x30"x60" tent
          Spider Farmer SE3000
          Coco Pearlite mix
          GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
            SoOrbudgal commented
            Editing a comment
            It's so tempting to try different hybrids when you hear about them. These strains of autos now adays can give you pretty decent highs an once you get the hang of not overdoing stuff an slowing them down they can produce decent ( i've not experience greatness like my photos) amounts quickly. But not the highs i get when growing indoor photoperiod, man i gotta get someone to help me set my tents an lights up by mid Sept. do a fall/winter grow in my garage before it gets too cold.

I like to add a new strain each season. This year it's Vanilla Frosting. I'm doing a repeat of last season's FreakShow because it was wildly popular among my friends. My roots (so to speak) are in bag seed, so I always like to pop a couple of those just to see what I end up with. I'm bummed that the local dispensary I have been getting my Humboldt Seeds from has discontinued offering seeds, so I guess I'll have to start looking elsewhere. Unfortunately, many of my seeds are getting old (7-10 years) and are becoming more and more difficult to germinate.

Comment

I was just trying to recall my previous 10 grows. I can account for thirteen different strains grown over that period. I'm probably missing one or two.
            Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
            5 gallon cloth pots
            30"x30"x60" tent
            Spider Farmer SE3000
            Coco Pearlite mix
            GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

Tried and true breeders like Royal Queen, Nirvana, DNA/Reserva Privada and Barneys always make really good seeds. I also make it a point to buy Cup Winners because they are proven! I usually give away my freebies or they sit for years because I'm growing the strains I purchased. Always feminized photoperiod for me.
              Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
              2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
              Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

I’ve always grown different strains each grow but I can see the benefits of planting the same strain back to back . Definitely a good way to make sure you have your nute formula dialed in and can repeat your results.

Comment

I certainly grow something I like again, I also like variety. So I breed my own crosses from what I like, and grow crosses from other growers here.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X