Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I do something to safely get clones for indoor grow from outdoor plants?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I do something to safely get clones for indoor grow from outdoor plants?

Hi - looking for some help or opinions.
    I have three plants that i stuck outdoors in pots (recycled organic living soil) with the idea that I would take cuttings for clones to go indoors later in the fall. I dont expect any of these ones will make it to harvest here in Noca Scotia - but i will try.
    However, if i take cuttings what about bugs and stuff - I dont want em indoors. I havent been able ro find anything regarding how to sanitize cuttings - if it's even effective. one - Jack the Ripper is genetics i want to keep. the other two, Lamb's Bread and Blackberry Durban are ones of which i have more seeds so they would just be saving a few bucks on seeds. I wouldnt be in a rush, and have done it without worry before successfully, but think my luck is due to wear out. I also use my own outdoor compost with several manures, lots of seaweed and other good stuff, which might jut be lucky as i have read from many not to bring outside soil inside. so lucky so far. except spider mites that i believe came from a tomoto plant i moved inddors -duhhhhhh!

so - is it difficult to sanitize cuttings for pests? Hydrogen peroxide? thanks in advance.

For interest i attach a photo of my current grow l to r = Panama Red, Dr Grinspoon and Durban Poison - all of which i started flowering earlier than normal because they supposed to stretch a ton. this is at 5 weeks and they are all very cool but smaller than expected- darn i have lotsa room so far. Have fun - or at least give it best effort.
    A happy Canuk. this grow will be using Flora Flex nutrients in coco/perlite. 9 plants in 3 by 3 tent and 8 plants in 2 by 4, in 1 or 2 gallon pots (whatevere is there). manual fertigation planned. veg till around 1 ft high. 2 by 4 tent light is Bloom Plus 2500 and 3 by 3 tent has Mar Hydro Ts3000, both of which seem awesome.

Clone cuttings are pretty small so it would probably be relatively simple to wash each one before rooting.

Comment

yeah, I'm likely worrying about not much and that's why i couldnt fins any info. i just hear how folks get infected clones , it seems frequently. Outdoor girls just showing some pistils so if i take any they will be supercropped.
      A happy Canuk. this grow will be using Flora Flex nutrients in coco/perlite. 9 plants in 3 by 3 tent and 8 plants in 2 by 4, in 1 or 2 gallon pots (whatevere is there). manual fertigation planned. veg till around 1 ft high. 2 by 4 tent light is Bloom Plus 2500 and 3 by 3 tent has Mar Hydro Ts3000, both of which seem awesome.

Comment

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cures… treat all cuttings, clones, plants from friends, etc as if they are compromised and save yourself the grief. It’s easy to miss the incipient stages of infection or infestation.

For me, in this instance, non rooted cuttings would be rinsed off, placed into a rooting bucket then treated with nuke em mixed with yucca as a wetting agent every couple of days, continuing this treatment until being placed into grow medium (approx 2weeks until rooted) then switch up to the normal preventative program.
        Soil - NFTG, recycled & amended.
        Nutes - NFTG - modified regiment, SLA-100, Photo +, Mammoth
        Veg - 4x4 tent, TSW2000, TSW1000 6”vent
        Flower - 4x4 tent, TS3000W, TSW1000 6”vent
        Dry - 2x4 tent, 6”vent

Comment

Greetings Bootsy,

Your concerns are justified. Many a grow room has seen trouble slip in the door via dirty clones.

Happily the solution is fairly easy to apply although it looks a little rough on the twigs. Basically strip it and drown it before you bring it inside. I use this, it works.

Here's a link to an article you may find useful:

seen talk of spider mites and crap. You know most bugs can be killed with BTK, like aphids and thrips. fungus gnats are harmless. You can kill them too with BTK. Used dichlorvos aka VX gas to kill spider mites. That doesn’t work all the time.I studied them and the mites can even resist the most deadly nerve agent. OK crops infested and what do you do? cut em down and make hash - they are ruined. Then take your clones and protocol 0 them. Oh you might even hear talk of protocol 0 around the water...

Regards,
          -Grouchy
          My goal is epicurean quality rather than high yield.
          I'm learning how to create cannabis tinctures and hashish and I almost always use a vaporizer to spare my aging lungs.
          Despite my avatar name I'm generally amenable and helpful. So, if there's a question I'm qualified to answer, hit me up!

-Grouchy

Comment

Thanks. A lot going on so unlikely to do cloning this time but an interesting read for future use. And - I do have spider mites in my outdoor crop, but they have had almost no affect I believe due to our cool and wet weather for last while - they are looking for a way indoors.

Comment

Originally posted by crucialbunny View Post
              Clone cuttings are pretty small so it would probably be relatively simple to wash each one before rooting.
              How do you recommend doing this? I'm quite new to this topic and the truth is that I have some doubts about it.

Comment

• crucialbunny
                crucialbunny commented
                Editing a comment
                Swish your cuttings in a bowl of water before setting to root. I've taken clones from outdoor plants many times and have never had a bug or pathogen issue.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X