Questions for a 'first timer ' LED lamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HYDRO Questions for a 'first timer ' LED lamp

I am going to 'get into the 21st century' and get a couple of LED grow lamps. I have been using CFL bulbs with some good results, but due to heat problems, supply, and costs (both environmentally and monetarily), I am going to get a couple (or more) LED lamps.
    I have been looking at the following units:
    Viparspectea P1000
    Vivosun V100
    Spider Farmer SF1000D
    and some units that I have not ever heard of like Bloom Plus.
    The lamp cannot be larger than about 20 (22 max) inches to fit into my grow space.
    I would greatly appreciate any and all advice and / or experiences with any of the above (or even in the not above! lol)
    Thanks,
    Good luck with Your growing
    Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

I've been using the SF4000 and I am happy with it. What ever you get, if you are shelling out, don't skimp on it. Get as big as you can afford. A dimmer is a nice feature. What ever you get, I think you will be happy with the upgrade. Lots if good info on the main site.
    Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

• Ckbrew
      Ckbrew commented
      Editing a comment
      Coverage is important. Your space may dictate that you use say 2 x 200W instead of 1 x 400W. 22in is narrow for a big light. Maybe some of the bar style lights would be better for your use.

• DW2
      DW2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Ckbrew, my thoughts were kind of along that very idea, two (or three) smaller lamps 'daisy chained' over each reservoir. I am just not sure whether the lower priced no-name units are worth the risk. some of them have veg/bloom switches or or listed as 'full spectrum'.
      Thanks for Your input!

• Ckbrew
      Ckbrew commented
      Editing a comment
      I stayed away from the knock off brands. It is all coming from China, and you never know what you're going to get.

Well, I've gone and dun it, I have two Mars Hydro TS1000W full spectrum, dimmable, LED lights. They are listed as 150 watts actual usage. If they do not turn out to be enough light, they are daisy chainable, and I can add a couple more lights.
    Last edited by DW2; 07-14-2022, 01:23 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I've been using Bestva lights with great results. I know you already pulled the trigger but if you can look at the Bestva B2000 Pro. 2000w light with dimmer, Meanwell Driver, Samsung LM301H diodes. $219 on Amazon.

Comment

DW2 You got my support!!! When I switched to LED COBBs, things cooled down enormously in the grow room.
        Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
        2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
        Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          DW2 It takes us some time to figure out the logistics of our grow environment: I certainly learned to keep the doors of my boxes open during flower, unless it's the middle of winter (mild here anyway). Whatever it takes to get that heat down... I look forward to hear how this works out for you.

• DW2
          DW2 commented
          Editing a comment
          alltatup, the lamps will not be here until next week (i hope). I will still have to figure out changing out the mounting setup for the new Leds in order to get as much height clearance as possible (this was also a problem with the CFLs as some of the plants grew up past the reflectors!). The next grow (#12) will start in late October, if the weather cooperates. I'll keep You posted on the (hopefully) progress as it progresses.
          Thanks for all of Your input and insight, You have been a great help to me and all of the other growers!

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          DW2 And thank you for your kind words. I'm seriously excited for ya, can't wait to see the set up!!!!

Eurika! The new Mars-Hydro TS1000W (150 watt actual) were delivered yesterday! Now is start planning for their installation in the grow room. If anyone has suggestions on some ways to mount the lights such as, how close can they be to the celling, etc. Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.
        Also, any advice on distances to maintain between the lamp and the plants would be welcome as well.

Comment

Short answer is as close as you can get'm without burning them. It really depends on what growth cycle the plants are in. Seedlings I wouldn't put them any closer than 24" but it also depends on the lamp power.

Comment

• DW2
            DW2 commented
            Editing a comment
            Howdy Rootsruler. Thanks for response. The data that came with the lights said that they are actual 150 watts but will replace a 250-watt HSP or MH. the data also listed distances above the canopy of 12 inches to 18 inches and dimmed at 25%-50% for the seedling stage, 50%-75% for the vegetation, and 100% for flowering. I could get the CFLs (that I used to use) as close as 3 inches without much light burn, in fact, the leaves just about had to touch the bulbs to get 'fried'.

• alltatup
            alltatup commented
            Editing a comment
            The LED Cobbs in my grow boxes allow me to grow the buds a couple of inches below them with no problem.

I have a 2000w LED light that equates to roughly a 600w HID. For seedlings I hang them at around 22" - 24" to start and let them get hardened off. After that I lower them a little each day until they start to complain. At that point is where I use my dimmer to fine tune the light intensity.

I try not to use the manufacturers data literally. Moreso as a guideline than anything else since many factors will determine what the plant likes in a given situation. Just trust your eyes and your instincts and you should be fine.

Comment

• DW2
            DW2 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Rootsruler, thanks for the information.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X