Patience, Tolerance & Diversity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Patience, Tolerance & Diversity

"BE NICE OR BE OFF!" The note on the door read...

Years ago my Father-in-Law posted the note on the front door during the holidays.

PLEASE NOTE: This post is personal opinion NOT site policy

This may be a bit long but it's something I need to say...

Over the course of the last several years in this country people have become less tolerant, more abusive, and overall distrustful of everyone and everything that is not experienced personally or disagrees with their opinion! Opinions have become more based on beliefs that are based on opinions than opinions that are based on beliefs based on fact. It's like watching a crazy monkey chase it's tail. Slow down take a toke of what you've been growing, relax and take the time to get your head on straight before your mouth and fingers overtake your better judgement.

There are a hell of a lot of really, and I mean REALLY good people that frequent GWE. Over the years I've had the privilege of getting to know several of you a bit and my life has been enhanced by your knowledge, kindness and willingness to share what information you've had available. On the other hand I have also seen just the opposite happening with an alarming escalation of incidents occurring with greater frequency.

If there's two thing that are needed today it's tolerance and inclusiveness NOT divisiveness and distrust! EVERYONE deserves to be taken seriously and at face value not blown off and harassed - at least until they prove themselves worthy of the derision. Not everyone is a troll, not everyone speaks English, not everyone comes from your culture! You want people to be mindful of you, return the favor.

Politics and Religion are generally peoples ideas of how to accomplish the same goals - a better life for themselves and their loved ones and a better world for everyone. I found that for me, in my life, Thomas Jefferson said it best; "I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend."

In my opinion, NOW is the time to do the right things simply because they're the right things to do.

It is our differences that make us better NOT worse ... and this is me, hanging the sign on MY door, please "BE NICE OR BE OFF!"
    The Sphere
    RUSH

We can walk our road together
    If our goals are all the same.
    We can run alone and free
    If we pursue a different aim.
    Let the truth of love be lighted,
    Let the love of truth shine clear.
    Sensibility, armed with sense and liberty,
    With the Heart and Mind united in a single perfect Sphere.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BU2B; 06-30-2022, 03:19 AM.

BU2B Thanks for that. It seems to me that covid really unhinged a lot of folks in this country, and the result has been a lot more anger, hostility and intolerance. I've always viewed Cannabis as the great uniter, but even she can't overcome the anger. Yup. These are hostile times...
    Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
    2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
    Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

Interesting points, BU2B , my suggestion is to put it to the test and see what happens, if allowed make three threads one on politics and another on religion, and philosophy is one I would love myself. let us see how tolerant people are.

Comment

• Ace1973
        Ace1973 commented
        Editing a comment
        Ckbrew , I agree, this site is my escape from the world in general and would hate to see it tainted, I have learned a lot from this site and value its neutrality, in fact it is why I enjoy being on this site.

• Bowhunterwoody
        Bowhunterwoody commented
        Editing a comment
        Ckbrew exactly. Your words " learn, share, relax, escape" say perfectly why I'm here on this site.

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed. It does always suck to talk about politics. As for the other two categories, my religion and philosophy are Cannabis.

My point is not to make a point about politics, religion or philosophy.
      Everyone here is doing one of three things to varying degrees:
      1) learning to grow.
      2) sharing what they’ve learned about growing.
      Or 3) enjoying the company of others who enjoy cannabis as much as they do.

A person is either doing those things in a constructive or light hearted manner or they’re not.

But when people start ripping on others for attempting or even successfully growing cannabis - JUST LIKE THEY ARE DOING - it starts to feel a bit Lilliputian. Just because someone doesn’t post like you, think like you, post pictures like you, have a well spoken way about them, or says something you don’t understand You are both doing the same thing; just differently. In my view it’s not much different than going to war because someone ‘like you’ likes their eggs but they break them at the wrong end. It’s like religious in-fighting about the same deity or political intolerance of how to achieve the same goals or getting upset about a philosophical difference that has no actual consequence.

The Sphere
      RUSH

We can walk our road together
      If our goals are all the same.
      We can run alone and free
      If we pursue a different aim.
      Let the truth of love be lighted,
      Let the love of truth shine clear.
      Sensibility, armed with sense and liberty,
      With the Heart and Mind united in a single perfect Sphere.
      Last edited by BU2B; 06-30-2022, 08:27 AM.

Comment

• Ace1973
        Ace1973 commented
        Editing a comment
        Fair enough, your saying people are off the beaten path so to speak. I agree that people who grow should be encouraged, especially, the newer growers.

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        BU2B Are you saying someone is being snide or nasty about growing? Just flag the post and Sirius will deal with it. As I wrote a couple of times, nastiness is not tolerated on this forum, which is one of the reasons I love it.

• BU2B
        BU2B commented
        Editing a comment
        exactly alltatup a note to Sirius who is on practically 24/7 or a thoughtfully worded private message to the person works wonders and stops 99.99999% of problems before they become problems. No need to keep the dung flying. All too often it's simple misunderstanding.

Well said. These are trying times and we will be put to the test of how we really care for our fellow humans who live on this rock covered in the slime that we call life, hurling though space on a course to the unknown. It is a one way trip with no map and no off ramp. We need to make the best of it together. When the end comes we will all be together in the same situation as everyone.
      Last edited by Ckbrew; 06-30-2022, 09:37 AM.
      Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        It wasn't always so slimey...

Everyone thinks and learns differently. If I see someone struggling to communicate I try to adapt to help them. I could be wrong but being ridiculed for my not-diagnosed-until-my-60s ultra-rare disease brought a lot of criticism and bullying to me at a young age only because I was overweight in 1960, that was rare in itself. I have no desire to make another human feel less than and will help as much as I can when I see it. Empathy.

Except for tonight. I've been car challenged, grounded for two weeks, DoS Thursday, 4th of July deals, I was down to the dregs. Me, the Seahorse Pro and a gram of GMO Live Resin Budder are having a sleep over party tonight. Sorry for the short notice. Got some 35% Wedding Cake flower for daytime this weekend. Two RSOs to make medibles, after I experiment w/ratios via the B1G1 gum drops. Bought two B1G1 vape carts, my mood elevator, that should make y'all happier. I'm stocked for a bit. There's better stuff with better prices 15 miles farther away, it's the dealing with I-80 holiday traveler traffic. Ya never know ...
      Soil: Coast of Maine Stonington Blend, perlite; Seedlings: CoM org potting soil
      Indoor: 2 x 5.5 x 8' Closet grow
      Viparspectra XS2000; EnjoYield 220W full spectrum light added during flower
      Various size fabric grow bags
      Cal-Mag & GH Trio if needed; Flower Fuel & molasses during bloom; ReCharge
      4 clip fans. Exhaust into attic is vented to the eaves
      Current grow: DEAD FLOWERS

"Joker, smoker & midnight toker, I sure don't want to hurt no one"

Comment

alltatup I thought about sending you this in a private message, but after giving it some thought I figured it wouldn't hurt to post it here:

More often than not when confronted with a situation or something anyone has done or said the first reaction is always defensive - even if what is being said might ring true. Due to this, and considering that I never got the impression that the person/persons involved were bad people, as I would like someone to do for me; I think they/he/she deserve the opportunity to 'work it out' privately instead of being called on the carpet.

You will have to excuse me, I kind of blew a fuse, and the fact is I being human have been guilty of similar behavior and not been too proud of myself afterward. It's not survivor island and I don't want to vote anyone off but for me I DID need to say 'something'. No matter what kind of day you have had or what is happening in your life; it's probably not the fault of the person you were just rude, shitty or short with and there is NO REASON they should have to wear it!

I think we all just need a reminder sometimes of why we are here and why others show up here too and to just be decent to each other as much as possible.

and though it seems slimier than it was... it is my understanding that the primordial ooze period was even slimier

Comment

Philosophy. Read: "How are we to live?" by Peter Singer.
          "a way of being" by Carl Rogers
          Ethics--"which Way?"
          Alan Watt---"Being Yourself."
          These books have answers to our current social/ ethical dilemmas. Like anything else, have an open mind. Acceptance is one word that means a lot that we all have trouble with. The 4 "P's" to life/success: Proper Preparation ='s Perfect Performance. If you have it, you dont need it. If you need it, you dont have it. Treat others the way you like to be treated. If your an ass to someone, dont complain when they are the same back to you. LOA Law of attraction. If you put out negativity, you only attract negativity. Negativity is all around us all the time. However, we always have a choice.

Comment

Beautiful topic. Thanks to everyone.

Click image for larger version

Name:	can1.jpeg
Views:	328
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	569267Click image for larger version

Name:	can2.jpeg
Views:	316
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	569268Click image for larger version

Name:	can3.jpeg
Views:	312
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	569269Click image for larger version

Name:	can4.jpeg
Views:	325
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	569270Click image for larger version

Name:	can5.jpeg
Views:	324
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	569271Click image for larger version

Name:	can7.jpeg
Views:	322
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	569272Click image for larger version

Name:	can8.jpeg
Views:	314
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	569273Click image for larger version

Name:	can6.jpeg
Views:	328
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	569274
            Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

Final public post -
              I've cleaned up my mess and have gotten rid of just about everything except tutorial and grow journals for plants I actually knew something about. I hope someone finds the information useful. I'm pretty much outa here if people can't be nice when they're high, they're probably not going to be and all of my efforts and hopes for a happy growing family have pretty much been filled full of holes by reality by now. I wish you all the best and damn I hope you quit beating each other up!
              My contributions to the cause:
              Last edited by BU2B; 07-09-2022, 07:36 AM.

Comment

• Bowhunterwoody
                Bowhunterwoody commented
                Editing a comment
                Jesus BU2B . So sorry you feel that way. You have been one of the most level headed ones here for as long as I've been here. I too miss a lot of the past contributors, and it just doesn't seem as fun anymore. As much as I'm still learning every day here I hope to continue and try to be the best grower I can be, with a large chunk of my optimism coming from learning from contributors like you. Please drop in from time to time.✌️😞

• alltatup
                alltatup commented
                Editing a comment
                Don't go, dude. Don't do it. Just block 'em.

• BU2B
                BU2B commented
                Editing a comment
                Ya, we’ll… I’m not really gone I guess. But I have hacked my phone to say ‘Really!? Think about it!’ In place of Post 😉

I'm less tolerant to new folks who push their ideas onto those who have experience but tend to be less into the " new world of grow techniques " it can be very simple or you can complicate it with too much science and tech. What seems to work for someone on one side of space does not always work for the person 3,000 miles away. That person needs to research best practices for there area . This forum was intended I believe for new recreational growers to learn basics. I'm not letting some bully or BS newbie discord this site, I don't want to see the anger i see on other grow sites brought here. They can stay the heck away not contaminate this place. Yes i miss the fun an humorous easy going gang. I won't keep my mouth shut around passive aggresive speaking, kindness is a 2 way street.
              Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
              indoor/outdoor grower
              1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
              1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
              I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
              Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
              Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
              Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• BU2B
                BU2B commented
                Editing a comment
                I know I said no more posts from me and I mean that... but that doesn't mean no more comments: If this gets me kicked, oh well. Hi - glad to meet you my name is james. After all these years figured it was about time to properly introduce myself and before I continue I would like to point an out an error that is taken as fact these days - NO Kindness is NOT a two way street - thats' Reciprocity; and Friendship a few streets over both of those are two way streets.

You my dear are my greatest defeat and hope. I think you're better than what you give yourself credit for and your potential and knowledge are through the roof - your patience and tolerance of others... not so much. When I first started visiting GWE there were around 800 active members, by the time I became a member that was about 600, last year it was 400, this year GWE at this point is down to under 300 active members. Hasn't ANYONE?!?? ever stopped to ask why? Friends would come back to hang out with friends if they felt there were friends to hang out with even if they had learned how to grow.

Anyone who has been around me much knows I'm a godless soulless heathen buddhist and have no toleration for the accepted norm - just because it's how something HAS been done doesn't make it the right thing to do. You can not talk to people very long without them getting at least some notion of who you are whether they have ever met you or not. I've always gotten the impression you were smart, knowledgeable and often quite funny - but you have a tendency to wear that authority a bit like a crown and in this day and age it doesn't take much of a rumble to set off crowd mentality especially when the crowd leader is encouraging dissention.

When you have the time and you're over being mad at me, take some time to go back through your many thousands of posts and read them in order like you're a newby. When someone replies to your welcome with 'thank you, a nice day has you' it seems pretty darn obvious to me that maybe, just maybe English is not the first language and a little tolerance and patience may be needed in the long run.

YOU have the potential to influence many - what that influence is, is completely up to you. I've said all I've got to say and hopefully in a way that will make you think -
                I know I can't do anything about how people treat others than to follow my own advice. If I had you're mailing address and the health I'd love to give you the book THIS IS WATER, a big hug and tell you to lighten up a bit it will be okay- smile, cry, smoke a bowl and carry on. There are people on here that have literally had their lives and hearts ripped apart in the last year or so - yourself included, if they can be nice - you can too. Please, with all you have to offer, don't become a hard hearted alice.
                Last edited by BU2B; 07-06-2022, 06:30 AM.

I was bullied pretty badly on this site because I prefer to use less popular, less expensive, nutes and growing media. Nobody stood up for me, so I figured this was a wide-open space for that kind of stuff. Also figured the site should be more accurately named, "Grow Weed More Expensively." I was spending way too much time and effort posting pics and progress to get kicked in the teeth and humiliated. Glad you spoke out against it BU2B, but it may be too late for me to be a regular contributor again.
              2'x2'x5' Custom Breed & Seed Cabinet w/ 4 Roleadro flat-panel 75W lights
              2'x2'x5' Custom Seedling, Clone & Young Veg. Cabinet w/ CFL & flat panels
              2'x2'x5' Custom Veg. Cabinet with Vipar Spectra XS 1000 Dimmable
              2'x4'X6' Custom Flowering Cabinet with 2 Vipar Spectra XS 1500 Dimmable Lights

100% Perlite, 2.7- Gallon nursery pots, Fertigation method.

Miracle Gro Vegetable & Herb Fertilizer (includes Soy Protein Hydrolysates), 1 tsp./gallon as base nutrient, supplemented with standard Miracle Gro for high-nitrogen plants, and Miracle Gro Bloom Booster during Flower. A bit of Ph Down to take the edge off. Touch of Cal-Mag as well.

Comment

• alltatup
                alltatup commented
                Editing a comment
                BaccaRacca I don't know what happened, but you have my solidarity and I hope to see your posts and pictures!!!

I think it is unfortunate that you are leaving, stick it out, don't run from it.

Comment

• Puglover1
                Puglover1 commented
                Editing a comment
                It's more than unfortunate. He has no reason to run from this site, he left behind vast knowledge, experience and respect. He was trying to bring experienced growers together to help other growers. I don't feel experienced enough to answer many questions but if I see someone post and no one replies I at least acknowledge their post, and hope someone more knowledgeable follows up. We were all newbs once. It can feel intimidating here at times. I hit the lottery when I joined and will be forever grateful to the helpful members, especially Mr.furley

Very interesting how this topic is evolving. The hardest thing to do is to examine ourselves and see clearly our own "shadow" side, to see the things we don't want to see about ourselves. Many of us may have an emperor complex: even if it's just our little fenced in backyard, we want to rule and command respect.

Most folks are walking wounded if you ask me: humans suffer different degrees of abuse, pain, trauma, cruelty, etc.: I don't think one can be human and avoid those aspects of life. I always tell my students that learning to cope with pain, failure, disappointment & loss perhaps contribute more to a healthy, strong personal humanity than all the happiness, success and love do. Don't get me wrong: I love happiness, success and love, but where would I be as a human bean without all the struggles and pain that have propelled my personal growth?

I'm 69 and still learning new stuff about myself and how to live this exhilarating life every day: I get to see the darker nooks and crannies of myself better now, because all these decades of life have made me a bit more self-aware. Growing up is a lifetime's work for our species: ground apes are complicated that way. I do my best to work with humans: I care very much for the young folks I teach, but I hate academic bureaucracy, authoritarianism, conformism and all the bureaucratic minds that seem to be running most everything these days. The gen-Z'ers are kind of driving me crazy with their inability to relate to anything other than their fucking phones, but other than that, I do ok...

We're all crazy, it's just that most of us don't cause much harm with our craziness. BU2B I will mourn your loss if you leave, but you gotta follow your path...

Comment

alltatup that's an interesting take. I think you're probably right about a lot of it. I am not a conformist, and I detest with a white hot passion authoritarianism, but I'm not to put off by governmental bureaucracy maybe cause I'm a little crazy that way. So I can relate to what you're saying.

Could you expound a little more on this? " The hardest thing to do is to examine ourselves and see clearly our own "shadow" side, to see the things we don't want to see about ourselves." Are you referring to the real us that we don't ever let anyone see?
                Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11", HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Autopot system, Coco 50/50 perlite: Ace Seeds fem photo Purple Haze x Malawi x 2 Seeds dropped 2-2-24
                Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: 100% Sativa Ace Seeds Malawi x 4
                Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X