It's Too Darn Hot!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's Too Darn Hot!

Climate change has reached my garage. My tent has been clocking temps of 86 degrees or more for the last month. It has never been this bad before ,when I usually clocked in temps of 78 degrees. This has occurred in the middle of my first "all auto" grow. I have started adding silica to my water and watering more often.

A year ago I built a 12" platform for my tent. The added elevation made it much easier to work my grow but I noticed an increase in temps when I did this . Apparently the concrete floor acted a pretty efficient heat sink. Right now the temperature difference between my tent and the concrete is 9 degrees.

IF anyone out there has any brilliant ideas, I am certainly open to hearing them. Removing the platform is a major hassle and I really do not know if it will make a difference.
    Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
    5 gallon cloth pots
    30"x30"x60" tent
    Spider Farmer SE3000
    Coco Pearlite mix
    GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

How about running some aluminum duct around on the floor and then into the tent as an air input?
    Drying: Strawberry Cough photo started indoors Apr 27. Moved outdoors June 25. Harvested October 8.
    Past grows: Speakeasy Bourbon Berry Auto F1 (Ogreberry x Whiskey Zulu),
    Whiskey Zulu, Trizzlers

Comment

• OldManGrower
      OldManGrower commented
      Editing a comment
      That would only work using a fan to push/pull it through. The temp differential is not enough to cool the air quickly enough as it comes in but its an interesting idea.

• OldManGrower
      OldManGrower commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting idea. However the temperature differential is not sufficient to cool the air as a fan pulls it through.

If you have room water makes a great temp moderator. Takes a long time to heat up and cool down. I use to store water in my grow closet in 7 gallons storage containers and one gallon jugs.

I would like to see a flat water storage container one could use as a base in the tent.

Comment

• OldManGrower
      OldManGrower commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! Very interesting. I do not have much room as I have 5 plants in a 32"x32" space but I will look into this.

• 3Berries
      3Berries commented
      Editing a comment
      If you have room for a milk crate you can put 4-1 gal jugs in that and then stack them.

Do you have a dimming feature on your lights? If you do, try to lessen the intensity of the lights, it may help.

Comment

• OldManGrower
      OldManGrower commented
      Editing a comment
      I cannot dim them but I have raised them.

Wish i could send you what we got right now, cool and rainy overnight again. I've not had that issue like you yet but i'll find out when summer finally does arrive here. I plan on using the garage to set up my tents. I put a 8x10 old rug down and hung fly paper so far LOL . Man i will use a stand up ocillating fan also. I have not grown indoors during the heat of summer in a tent yet ever and only do indoor grows in fall an winter time. Wish i could help you out
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• OldManGrower
      OldManGrower commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks SoOrbudgal. Hasn't rained in a week and it was 80 degrees at 7am today, heading to 99. I have an internal fan and an exhaust fan. Doesn't help much with a very high ambient temperature,

Switch the lights to be on at night and dark during the day might help.
    Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

• OldManGrower
      OldManGrower commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks CK. I have already done that. I also raised the lights.

How about a clear sheet between the plants and the LEDs and exhausting them separately?
    Drying: Strawberry Cough photo started indoors Apr 27. Moved outdoors June 25. Harvested October 8.
    Past grows: Speakeasy Bourbon Berry Auto F1 (Ogreberry x Whiskey Zulu),
    Whiskey Zulu, Trizzlers

Comment

• OldManGrower
      OldManGrower commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting idea 90Gizmo. I shall consider it.

Can you leave your tent open when the lights are on, and use an external fan?
    More elephant!

Coco/perlite
    3x3x6
    Nutes
    CalMag

Comment

• OldManGrower
      OldManGrower commented
      Editing a comment
      I have do so but the interior of the garage is not a whole lot cooler than the tent.

How about some sort of portable swamp cooler? The ones I'm thinking of are much too big for just you plants but maybe for the entire garage? I think I got mine at Home Depot...
    A Legend...in his own mind - , 48" X 60" X 80" 2-in-1 Grow Tent, Flower light: Vivaspectra P2500 LED. Veg light: Mars Hydro TS600 & Mars Hydro TS1000 LED lights. Nutrients: GH Flora Trio/Calmag coco/perlite, GH PH Down or pure lemon juice, in case PH down isn't available.

Comment

• OldManGrower
      OldManGrower commented
      Editing a comment
      BR2K Great Minds Think Alike. I have a tiny cordless AC evaporation unit. I'm gonna try it tonight or tomorrow. Have to cut the fan back to keep from sucking the cold out, but I don't see that as much or a drawback.

You can make swamp coolers out of 5 gallon buckets, some water wicking material and small fans.

Comment

• Gingerbeard
      Gingerbeard commented
      Editing a comment
      I can disarm a nuclear bomb with an emery board, a standard size ice cube, and a bird feather.

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Gingerbeard You are the Great White Red-Bearded Healer.

Also, is there a window you can keep open at night?
    A Legend...in his own mind - , 48" X 60" X 80" 2-in-1 Grow Tent, Flower light: Vivaspectra P2500 LED. Veg light: Mars Hydro TS600 & Mars Hydro TS1000 LED lights. Nutrients: GH Flora Trio/Calmag coco/perlite, GH PH Down or pure lemon juice, in case PH down isn't available.

Comment

AIR CONDITIONER! I don't know about a swamp cooler's humidity production; I'd be skeptical about using one around cannabis plants for that reason. Why not install an AC? If that's your grow room, it's worth the investment; it may be a necessity with global warming. This is why I bought some solar panels around 5 years ago, because I knew electricity costs were going to go up. Another reason why I'm firmly committed to indoor growing...
      Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
      2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
      Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• BR2K
        BR2K commented
        Editing a comment
        Back to the swamp cooler idea...

• bdeegan
        bdeegan commented
        Editing a comment
        You don’t necessarily need a window to vent a portable ac, but definitely a through-wall vent. How well insulated is the garage?

• 90Gizmo
        90Gizmo commented
        Editing a comment
        Could be adapted to for under a garage door.

How about popping a couple extra dryer vents in your walls and work some inline fans? Super easy if you're not into the handyman thing.
      More elephant!

Coco/perlite
      3x3x6
      Nutes
      CalMag

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X