Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hydroponic problems

Hi,
    I'm having a problem with my hydroponic water, I started new seedlings 3wks ago and all was well, I ph'ed the water to about 6.2 and added 1/4 tsp of Flora Micro and a 1/4 tsp of Flora Gro. After 3wks the plants were looking very healthy and large. I changed out the water at 3wks, ph'ed to 6.2 and added 2tsp each of f-micro and f-gro. This was half the recommended amount. The next day when I checked the water ph, I noticed the water was cloudy and a white substance was forming on the bottom of the bucket. The plants did not appear affected. The residue was not slimy, but I have never experienced anything like this. Does anyone have any ideas what might be going on??

Cal-mag, hydroguard? Anything else added besides nutes?Pic? provide any and all info please. Tks
    “Rather laugh with sinners than cry with saints” Billy Joel Only the good die young
    ”I think I can, I think I can…”the little engine that could

Comment

I'm using the General hydroponics Flora Micro, Gro and. Bloom at 1/2 the recommended amonnt. The water is softened well water and it's ph is about 7.6 so I use ph down. No other nutes or additives. Temp is steady at about 72', humidity is at 60%. I'd send pics but am new to the site and haven't learned that yet. The plants are 3wks old about 5 inches tall. Leaves are about the size of an average hand and new tiers are growing well. Stems are about 1/4 " in diameter with a well developed root system. The plants don't appear stressed, no nute burn or curling leaves. There is a little yellowing in some of the larger leaves. I changed out the water and used only ph down, 24 hrs later I noticed the same white buildup on the bottom and the ph had gone up to about 7.4 added more ph down to 6.2 again and also added 1ml of FloraMicro and 2ml of FloraGro. Plants are still looking healthy and growing, except for the minor yellowing

Comment

I asked about hydroguard is it helps prevent root rot. I suspect this may be beginning
        “Rather laugh with sinners than cry with saints” Billy Joel Only the good die young

Comment

I asked about hydroguard is it helps prevent root rot. I suspect this may be beginning

Comment

Pictures needed.
            Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
            2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
            Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

Hi Gwinkel1 I don't grow in a hydroponic setup but I do use the autopot system and have a 12 gallon rez. Could your problem be light getting into your water? I have to work to keep light out of my rez or weird things grow in there. If I'm way off base I apologize.
              Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11", HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Autopot system, Coco 50/50 perlite: Ace Seeds fem photo Purple Haze x Malawi x 2 Seeds dropped 2-2-24
              Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: 100% Sativa Ace Seeds Malawi x 4
              Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

Comment

Howdy Gwinkel1. First off, the water and nutrient mix should be changed out every week and topped off at mid-week with only pH'ed water. Secondly, what is the water temperature and is it being well aeriated?
                I do not use 'softened' water, just the city water right out of the tap (@7.0 pH). depending on the type of water softener system that you have, the white build up could be salts (most likely magnesium sulphate) precipitating out of solution Does the buildup feel 'gritty' or slimy?
                Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

Fellow Bubbleponics growers, I have encountered this white powdery residue in my reservoirs too. Each time it is when I start a new grow. Clean and sterilize all components, add city tap water which goes through a house water filter, PH it correctly, and added Hydroguard. Small water pump and two airstones. Water temp at 69 and no lights running at all.

Did this twice in the last week while my seeds are germinating. Decided to add only water, no Hydroguard, and no change in PH to see if I get the same results. This image is from yesterday when I discovered the same residue present and decided to remove the HG and PH variables to troubleshoot the issue. I suspect it is the Hydroguard growing colonies, as it is supposed to do. Will update this post in the next couple of days.

UPDATE: It appears that the Hydroguard was the culprit for the appearance of white residue in clean tub. See new photo a day later after cleaning and refilling tub with just plain water, no PH adjustment. Hydroguard is supposed to grow colonies of bacteria to overcome the bad bacteria that causes root rot. I felt as though I was overthinking this, but could not find any real answer to what I was experiencing. Hopefully this helps anyone else that sees this in their DWC or bubbleponics system and that it is not anything to fear or that you did wrong. I will eliminate this issue moving forward by only introducing Hydroguard once I have plants roots that have emerged from their net pots towards the water reservoir.
                  Last edited by DanielCraig; 11-23-2022, 12:43 PM. Reason: Solved! White residue is from the HG bacterium

Comment

• Jebidiah
                    Jebidiah commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I grow in the same kind of setup but stopped using the water pump with fears of it holding stuff like that. That’s a lot of solids to come from 8ml of hydrogaurd the pump or air stones were holding onto something it looks like.  Or maybe runoff from the bottom of the lid or growing medium.

I'm using Botanicare Hydroguard and I've never seen this. What's your environment like? Are you running a humidifier? I've seen some humidifiers leave a white residue on things if not maintained.
                  Back to playin in the dirt!
                  Currently growing 8 Scarlet Grape. Check it out here:
                  https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...dalone-journal
                  I do not currently partake. I grow for fun. Someday!

Comment

DanielCraig “ UPDATE: It appears that the Hydroguard was the culprit for the appearance of white residue in clean tub. “

interesting. I have NEVER had this happen before and I’ve been growing in hydro for 10+ years. Bad Hydroguard? Though the label states it is good for 2 years from manufacture it also states it should be used within 6 months of opening. That usually means it gets weaker. It really looks like a contaminated bottle to me if it was hydroguard that caused this reaction. It shouldn’t. ✌️

Comment

• DanielCraig
                      DanielCraig commented
                      Editing a comment
                      BU2B good reminder. I'll check my supply for manufacture date, throw out the old, get new, and see what I come out with. Thank you for your post.

Gwinkel1 softened with salt? Saline overload? If it was me I’d question that. If you can use well water unsoftened that would be preferable but may not be the issue. GH does offer a hard water version of the micro blend (which contains the highest ppm of the trio) if purchased by the gallon. I would continue to use your choice of root inoculation product as it is very important when growing in hydro in the long haul - but maybe dump your current bottle. Running without won’t hurt until you get some (soonish) considering the time of the year.

Happy Pharming.

Comment

Originally posted by Blowdout2269 View Post
                      I'm using Botanicare Hydroguard and I've never seen this. What's your environment like? Are you running a humidifier? I've seen some humidifiers leave a white residue on things if not maintained.
                      No humidifier. In fact humidity in my space is in the 35%-45% range. May have contaminated HG as mentioned by BU2B. If I find any other supporting evidence to the contrary, I will be sure to share with the forum. Thanks!

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                      X