buds starting too soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOIL buds starting too soon

I have been growing plants on my deck for several years so the length of the day is set by the sun. They always started budding after the summer solstice when days start getting shorter. This year they started budding about a week ago. And plants are smaller as they have not had a long vegetative stage. I am wondering about the clones I bought, although I have used clones before and this never happened. Any ideas?

Not my words I dont run clones. I've been apart of grasscity for a couple years plus roll it up including this one. I've been growing cannabis for 4 years, but I've never ran a clone I know this guy from grasscity hes been doing this a long time

You've made the classic mistake with clones and have them in the middle of flower when they should be vegging hardest.
    As much as I hate to say it it really is faster to buy new clones and put this set out back to do what they will. A month to get fully back in veg from as deep in flower as they are. Then all the buds sites turn into multi headed medusas and you spend days clipping them back to just a few new tops to grow out.

Only June and July have long enough days to veg Cannabis.
    Clones need to be time matched from birth at 15-9 or 16-8 for best set out. This means sprouting and running your plants at 16-8 from seedling to adulthood and running their clones at 16-8 as well.
    This method insure a perfect setout on June 1st with no pre-flowering or need for lighting assist.

Your other approach and the one you need to use with store clones as they are always 18-6 or higher and flower with any hint of long dark. This is to light them up. 24-0 is the simplest and virtually fool proof. It doesn't take much light to keep them in an awake state until Aug 1st. Lights off then and harvest mid Oct.

This is how I get it done.

Even this solar powered 70 lumen walk light was enough to hold them in veg.

My veg row until a few days ago when they went in the ground.

4 Harvest per year in Southern California. (or anyplace with warm winters)
    Aug 1st = Take Clones - Plant seeds
    Oct 15th =Harvest, Set out veggers, Take clones from veggers.
    Jan 1st = Same
    March 15th = Same
    June 1st = Harvest, Set out veggers.

As fast as I harvest I have a new vegged plant to stick in the same hole in the yard.
    10 weeks to veg and 10 more to flower. Summer adds an extra 60 days veg window.
    Last edited by GroBuddy; 05-29-2022, 08:51 PM.

Comment

• sabina
      sabina commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks, If I put a new clone out now (june 1) won't it just flower and not grow in vegetative stage? I think I will use seeds next year! Seems easier, but I would like to have something good from this year.

• GroBuddy
      GroBuddy commented
      Editing a comment
      They only vegging months plants wont transition into flower is june and July within the USA

• GroBuddy
      GroBuddy commented
      Editing a comment
      You could join grasscity Forums look up BrassNwood hed give you spot on advise on best and easiest ways to grow in your environment. He's been doing it in SoCal for 30 years or so. Or just read up on his profile page he has grow journals. Different environments means different means and methods it's best to use local growers to base your grow off of. Not just growing but drying and curing in SoCal environment as well hes got all that

I was growing GG4 years ago when seeds were still unavailable and clones were the only option. I ran into the same problem of early bud then re-veg. The clones it turns out were started by the grower under 24 hr lighting and they were triggered to begin flower when they began to experience periods of darkness. The next year I began tempering them off by bringing them in and giving them artificial light in ever shortening periods until it was nearly replicating daylight hours. The lighting doesn't have to be anything elaborate and it only took a couple of weeks. I just used a CFL bulb in a lamp and it worked fine.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X