CFL's and reflectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CFL's and reflectors

I see in some Pic's that some people that use the CFL bulbs (not the long 48" bulbs, but the short incandescent type) use them with a reflector and some do not, just wondering why? More Light? Any Difference? Or doesn't it matter?

It matters a lot. Like every other cylindrical bulb when used horizontally half of the light emitted goes upwards so a reflective barrier will redirect that light back down to the plant

Comment

I agree with 9fingerleafs, a reflector is very necessary with CFLs. If You rely on the 'reflective' surfaces of the grow space alone to use the available light, you will be loosing some of it before it reaches the plants. The light from CFLs (either the spiral or straight tube type) does not 'penetrate' as far as the higher out put lamps like LED and HPS lamps. The average reflector is only 90-95% effective so you have lost 5-10% on the first 'bounce' and as the light travels thru the atmosphere, it is further diffused and the intensity lessened. The more of the light that reaches the plants the better, until you reach the point of incineration! LOL!
      During my first two grows I did not have any reflective material on my grow space walls and the plants took a longer time during the vegetative period. I applied aluminum foil to the walls for the third grow, and what an amazing difference, just that one change took about 3 weeks off of the grow time!
      Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

Thanks, I have and use the reflective hoods or whatever you call them, but when I look at some of the pics of the great growers here some use them some don't, so you kind of wonder what is best, and with me I can wonder a while but then I have to ask, lol. . The other thing is that I don't have one of those fancy light measuring things so I couldn't test it myself. Again thanks for your replies.

Comment

You can at least calculate how many lumens/area you need/have just add up all the lumens emmited and divide into area of footprint. Rough estimation without taking into account inverse law of light. But enough to know if you need more light

Comment

Thanks for that 9fingerleafs, I believe I have enough light for my grow area, I was just wondering if anyone here ever did measure the light with a reflector and without a reflector, and how much of a difference it would make?

Comment

I downloaded a light meter app... Not sure how accurate it is but i just used it to show me where to better position my plants.

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
                9fingerleafs commented
                Editing a comment
                Care to share what app is it? I'm curious about that

• PuravidaC
                PuravidaC commented
                Editing a comment
                Me too!

You guys...so sorry I have not responded. Not really a "poster". "Lurker" is a better description.

I just searched "light meter" in Google store apps, picked one (or 2 or 3...) Installed them, tried them. Can't tell if they work or not, but still fun to play with.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X