Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I reduce evaporation in hydroponic system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! How can I reduce evaporation in hydroponic system?

Hi y'all

So I have a little problem here. I've got a hydro tent (first one), its all doing pretty good, except the huge amount of evaporization. I have 4 20L bucket in there, and I have a dehumidifier going 24/7, filtering around 10L water a DAY!!! Thats a looooooot. I'm planning to upgrade my other two setups to hydro as well but I'm worried about the humidity. I could get more dehumidifier, but to be honest it's energy consumption is crazy.
    So I'm wondering if anyone had the same issue, what could be the solution here. The buckets seal pretty good, the only "open area" is at the stem with the clay pellets. Should I cover that with something too?

Help please.
    TIA

Sounds like your dehumidifier is causing your evaporation. If you have an issue with humidity, use an inline exhaust fan instead.
    I'm going to suggest this in hopes of being corrected or affirmed. Your plants are losing a lot of water through the leaves because of the dehumidifier.
    More elephant!

Coco/perlite
    3x3x6
    Nutes
    CalMag

Comment

I agree with Gingerbeard, take the de-humidifier out of the tent and place it in the room itself. Then use an exhaust fan to run the dry room air thru the tent. That de-humidifier is working overtime the way you have it set up.
      Shappel S3000 3.5x6x6' ice hut
      Fusion Board LED Panel 480w
      6" Fusion Breath, Fan/Filter
      Canna Coco/perlite
      General Hydroponics Flora Series
      Cal/Mag.

Tent
      Bruce Banner
      Kushy Kush
      2Cookies and cream

Comment

Oh no sorry the dehumidifier is not in the tent, it's in the room where the tents are. I run the setup without the dehumidifier for a month, everything got moldy, the water was literally dripping from the wall.

Comment

Cover the top of your net pots with aluminum foil. Keeps the light out of the buckets too. Don't know what it looks like in your tent but if its crowded, defoliation can help with that also.
          DIY 4x12 Farmacy box w/2 4x4x6 grow areas
          TrolMaster HydroX runs the whole show
          Dual tank Co2 injection w/ rain tubing
          10000 btu thru the wall A/C / 5000 btu heater
          50 pint dehumidifier/ cool mist humidifier
          8" intake fan w/ hepa filter / 8" exhaust fan
          2 Timber Fatty-vs COB 950 watt draw fixtures
          w/ added 4 2ft T5 Pure UV bulbs on each fix.
          2 DIY Hybrid DWC 5 gal bubble bucket systems w/ 55 gal reservoirs w/ PH dosers
          2 2"x2"cyl.stones in each bucket, 8"disk in reservoirs
          GH Flora series (entire line) + Orca
          Grow 3 = Blueberry 1 dwc 1 soil.
          . Cherry pie 1 dwc 1 soil
          Soil is great lakes "just add water" in 7 gal fabric bags

Comment

Not sure if this is helpful for hydroponics, but a trick I learned from my sous vide adventures was to add ping-pong balls to the water to reduce evaporation by reducing the exposed surface area and providing a local surface for condensation to form and drip back into the bath. You need enough to completely cover the surface 2 layers deep.

Comment

Your tent sounds like mine when I’m starting babies and I have all the fans and exhaust turned off inside the tent. More air flow and a better exhaust system is your answer

Comment

Howdy ufzsolo. You did not say what the water and air temperatures are in Your tent. Higher temperatures result in greater evaporation rates. Also, what is the ambient humidity of the room/area that the tent is in? Is there a way to vent the dehumidifier to the outside (of the grow room)? The addition of an exhaust fan (and filter) to move some of the humid air out of the grow area could help as well.
                Good luck with Your grow.
                Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

• ufzsolo
                  ufzsolo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hi yeah sorry good point.
                  Tent internal humidity is 52% with 21C temp. Outside room is pretty much the same.
                  The tent is 1.2m*1.2m*2m, it has 4 20L buckets. Have two VKO fan for air inflow and two for outflow and an external ventillator too. They all run 24/7.

What Im doing is trying to regulate the room environment rather than the tents individually. I have an A/C for temp control and a dehumidifier for humidity control (they are not in the tent, they are in the room).

For "legal purposes" im living in central europe, so I wouldn't call the place humid AF.

I’m a hydro guy… I agree with DW2; what is your environment data? In the tents and in your room. If you live in Arizona, I’d suggest growing in soil
                But it seriously sounds like you’re having and in dire need of exhaust fans.
                It boggles my mind that your tent is dripping? …it’s not from your buckets… it’s the air in the tent. Do you have a fan running in your tent 24/7 and an exhaust fan in each tent running 24/7? You shouldn’t try to grow weed in a humidor, …I’m funny today.
                Cheers,
                SwitchH2O
                8” powered outtake with 6” Carbon Filter (NVP)
                RDWC 4x 5gal with 1x 5gal reservoir (17.5g)
                Rockwool starter (Supersoak) with clay pellet medium
                G. H. Flora 10-Part Professional Series
                Last grow - White Tahoe Cookies - Currently out being tested for THC/CBD and terpene profile.

CURRENTLY GROWING
                Sowing Godfather OG, Green Crack and Gelato
                All feminized

UPCOMING…
                Mainlining/Manifold for next grow…

Comment

This is the tent, I don't think its crowded at all. This is a photo I did before defoliation btw.

Comment

If there's condensation it's because of too much temp contrast between inside and out. Maybe insulate the top of the tent?

Comment

Coco coir is considered a hydroponic system.
                      “Rather laugh with sinners than cry with saints” Billy Joel Only the good die young
                      ”I think I can, I think I can…”the little engine that could

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                      X