Show your failures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Show your failures

Got to thinking about someone else's post and I have not seen a thread where people post their mistakes or hard lessons learned in one spot. Might be interesting and informative. I'll start by saying my biggest mistake throughout my growing career (indoors) has been occasionally resorting to using a pot smaller than usual resulting in root binding, nutrient deficiencies and overall languishing plants. I've since sort of come with a formula that basically goes for every vertical foot it grows you want half that in pot depth. Rule of thumb, not anything set in stone. But it seems to provide enough soil through the whole process so they don't get bound up underneath.

Outdoors my biggest pet peeve/mistake has been when trying to keep a level of concealment underestimating the amount of overhead foliage would appear during the summer months. You know, you find a nice spot somewhere on the edge of a field, plant your babies and then come back a month later and realize the trees are completely shading it over, despite only a little bit of branches overhead when I scouted the area in the early spring. By the time they're established it's too late to move them.

So what are your biggest mistakes as a grower?

Well i've got no pictures saved of my errors but maybe i will keep a few IF i do wrong by the plant, but i hope i don't LOL. Sure i've made timing errors repeatedly outdoors by placing them out too early and getting 4-5ft tall plants to go into revegg now that's heartbreaking work to do when it happens. All you can do is wait for them to finish going back into veg from early flower then massive cleaning up each plant to expose the buds again it really bites in the worst way. So WAIT make sure that sun stays overhead for at least 13hrs a day, it's the best free light in the world.
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Black Domino/Black Domina:
      1. Ruined 8 plants before they were 3 weeks old.
      2. Broke the two mains after first topping, at the same time.
      3. BD included in crop that got destroyed by WPM.

I currently have one growing. I will neither confirm nor deny it's state of health.
      More elephant!

Coco/perlite
      3x3x6

Comment

My hour of shame comes from failure in a proper watering regime. Pics say it all...nuff said! If you really must see the gory details visit the ongoing Purple Bubba thread.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20220320_140337_6183.jpeg
Views:	281
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	562535
        Grow # 3 50/50 S/I Critical Mass photo fem
        Seeds drop in water 1/8/2022

Medium: FF Coco Loco plus 30% Perlite in 7 gal cloth bags
        Space: 30x48x62 DIY cabinet lined w/space blankets
        Lighting: Bloomspect SS1000 Quantum board x 3 - 300 watts actual draw
        Soil Supplements: Worm Castings, Crab Shell, Oyster Shell, Neem and Karanja Meal, Volcanic Basalt Dust (for minerals), Recharge root micros. Grow 3 is with reconstituted super soil to which I've added several additional minerals and supplements. A more complete list based on Cackamas Coots super soil recipe can be found in my Auto Toka thread
        i don't grow plants anymore, I grow soil that my plants can thrive in!
        My filtered tap water runs over 7.5 pH but the soil microbes
        make pH correction unnecessary
        Ventilation: Vipospar 4" Exhaust Fan w/RH controller, 12" Carbon Scrubber
        8" bottom intake fan, 6" clip on fan, 6" heater as needed
        Cabinet on screen porch. N AZ @ 4000 ft.

My salute to all who have served
        Semper Fidelis!

Comment

• User420111
          User420111 commented
          Editing a comment
          Too bad, looks like they could have amounted to something. Water is important!

Well i blame mother nature and some uneducated nieghbours but these two beauties turned out a couple hundred thousand seeds...FAK! Well into flower i found out there were three very healthy males just on the other side of the fence. I couldnt give the stuff away lol. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0043.JPG
Views:	291
Size:	4.94 MB
ID:	562547
        Shappel S3000 3.5x6x6' ice hut
        Fusion Board LED Panel 480w
        6" Fusion Breath, Fan/Filter
        Canna Coco/perlite
        General Hydroponics Flora Series
        Cal/Mag.

Comment

• User420111
          User420111 commented
          Editing a comment
          Time to start a walking journey as Johnny Potseed and just sort of throw them around randomly, lol

An abandoned bud rot extreme and what eventually happens to them.

Name:	BUD ROT EXTREMEA.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	992.4 KB
ID:	562550

Name:	BURNED ROT A.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	562551
        Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

• User420111
          User420111 commented
          Editing a comment
          That is one sad looking plant!

Even canopy, headed for the attic July 2020

Name:	20200717_141346.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	2.02 MB
ID:	562553
        Soil: Coast of Maine Stonington Blend, perlite; Seedlings: CoM org potting soil
        Indoor: 2 x 5.5 x 8' Closet grow
        Viparspectra XS2000; EnjoYield 220W full spectrum light added during flower
        Various size fabric grow bags
        Cal-Mag & GH Trio if needed; Flower Fuel & molasses during bloom; ReCharge
        4 clip fans. Exhaust into attic is vented to the eaves
        Current grow: DEAD FLOWERS

"Joker, smoker & midnight toker, I sure don't want to hurt no one"

Comment

• User420111
          User420111 commented
          Editing a comment
          Must be hard to get even lighting on those

• Puglover1
          Puglover1 commented
          Editing a comment
          A wonderful member mentored me through the grow: topping them almost half off, training, etc. I added another light panel. I've upgraded both lights since. It was a jungle in there. Trim time at harvest was killer.

One of my first ventures in indoor growing. Compact fluorescent lights (not grow lights, just off the shelf 60watt twisty bulbs). Tiny room, practically no air flow. How on earth did it even flower?? Looks like I was trying to reveg it since it's in there among the seedlings.

Comment

Speaking of bud rot. Here's one that like I mentioned earlier was put into an area that seemed like it would have had good sun but was quickly overgrown by shrubs and trees. That's the real danger with guerilla grows. Not being detected but being so secreted they can't even survive

Comment

Hummmm, what failures have I had? Way too many lets see;

1. Bought a useless PH Meter. Destroyed or damaged 2 grows.
            2. Over watering
            3. Poor training
            4. Poor Nutrients
            5. Bad Soil

It wasn't all bad. I made every single mistake possible and learned so much about growing, by the process of trying to fix my plants. I still make mistakes but at least I get decent harvests.
            Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
            5 gallon cloth pots
            30"x30"x60" tent
            Spider Farmer SE3000
            Coco Pearlite mix
            GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

Had a hard time this year. Started on tents last fall for Veg and a bigger one for Flower this winter. All while grows in progress. Different light setups and temp issues. Many changes.

Lost 4 out of 8, three from aborted seedlings and one from a heater failure. The grow before had yellow leaf issues. All because i switched from hard well water to rain water with no added calcium.

So here I am, got the calcium issues sorted, two in flower due out near the end of June and two in veg I just transplanted to the big pots. So they will be ready for flower in a couple of weeks.

I need another small nursery tent.......

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X