Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HYDRO root rot

Hi all,
    It's been a while since I've tripped through the forums here. I hope all are alright. I've got a question.
    Might it be helpful to cut out some of the lesser branches of my plant to let the larger ones have the best opportunity of maturing? Or could the action of cutting cause more stress at this point?

I have a hydroponic system, no light leaks, no fungus gnats, good nutrition, hydroguard, good ph, good oxygenated water. The water probably got too hot, it's been in the high 70s low 80s air temp. I've really dialed in for a healthy hydro and temp is the only thing I can think of that has allowed for root rot. I rinsed the roots and changed the water about 40 hrs ago and the plant is wilting

Pineapple express is about 3 weeks from harvest. While I think I'll miss out on quite a bit of bulk added I would at least like to get some more maturity to the tricomes/medicinal aspect.

Thoughts please
    Last edited by Gracey; 03-06-2022, 04:22 PM.

Howdy Gracey, I'm about to finish up my 11th hydroponic grow and if the water temperature gets above 70° F for an extended period (more than 23 to 36 hours), the root rot (brown algae) can grow and cause many problems with the grow. I have been keeping my water temperatures at or below 70° F by using ice bottles directly in the reservoir (Bubblephonics style), changing them out as needed. I also have the light leaks blocked out (I even cover the tops of the net pots with aluminum foil) and never use any clear tubing for the air stones or the water drip lines. I do not use any hydroguard (I used it early on, before I got the temps under control) as I am using GH Floralicious Plus, and it smells like a compost pile and may have beneficial microbes in it and I do not want to kill them off.
    Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

Thanks DW2. I love the aluminum foil! I just started using it this last grow to cover the net pots and the lid. My tubs have yellow lids that really let the light shine through. Aluminum foil is where it's at for sure. My husband started the hydro grow at our house after years of dirt in the closet. I took over a couple of years ago and have cleaned it up substantially. I let the temps up because of another grow I started in that room. I hate it because everything has gone to plan so far, which is a first.

I've moved out the other 2 plants sharing the tub they look good still. I don't use GH because they were bought out by Monsanto who now goes by the name bayer, I think. All that may have changed though I've settled on fox farms hydro and schedule which works well and even has a portion that's omri cert.

The question remains, Might it be helpful to cut out some of the lesser branches of my plant to let the larger ones have the best opportunity of maturing? Or could the action of cutting cause more stress at this point?

Thanks and ✌

Comment

• DW2
        DW2 commented
        Editing a comment
        Gracey, I do not trim many leaves from mt plants at all. Occasionally, I will trim one or two away if I cannot 'tuck' them out of the way from shading a developing bud. Mostly the lower leaves will drop off when they do not get enough light. I feel that they are needed by the plant so I leave all that I can. Besides, when the canopy develops and fills out, less of the light reaches the reservoir surface, warming the water and causing more problems. When I first start my grows, the reservoirs require from five to six ice bottles each day to keep the temperatures down, after the canopy fills in, I only use one to two ice bottles each day.
        Good luck with your grow.

• FlyingDutchPaddy
        FlyingDutchPaddy commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi gracey,

Yellow lids, interesting.
        Maybe you could spray them over with several coats of white spray paint?
        Perhaps even one layer of black, and then 2, 3 at most layers of white.

I grow hydro as well, 1 plant per bucket (25L water)
        Black storage boxes with lids painted white 2 times.

Just a thought.

FDP

After I installed a chiller, I never got root rot again. Look around to try to find it cheaper, like try Ebay.

Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
      2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
      Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• gbauto
        gbauto commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree.
        After 3 years of fighting pythium, I invested in the 1/4hp model for my 40 gal. system.
        ZERO issues since.
        3 years and multiple crops make me wish I had switched earlier.

Hi gracey,

I sympathise, I’ve been there with a recirculating system and all of them got it.
      can you share what type of hydro system you have?

FDP
      GreenQube 1.5m x 3.0m x 2.2m tent
      2x CDMH 315W lights
      870m3/hr fan
      8 x 42L DIY DWC buckets, 2 airstones each

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X