Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LST on plants of unknown gender.. worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LST on plants of unknown gender.. worth it?

I have 2 bagseed seedlings going that I'm hoping are ladies (first grow, I'm a noob with growing bud but have general gardening experience).
    They're currently at 4 nodes, the plan is to grow out to 6 nodes, top to the 3rd and either flux/ manifold one and use the second as a mother.

Is it worth doing when the gender is unknown? I figure if one/both turn out male I'll toss 'em, and in only out some veg nutes and a bit of time and electricity, but if they turn out female it'll be game on.

I've got a 30x loupe coming in the mail to keep an eye out for preflowers and thought they might be easier to spot if I'm already underway with the LST?
    2.5x2.5x6' tent
    2x 55w COB veg, 400w HPS flower
    Coco/perlite with mycorrhizal mix in fabric bags
    2-part base nutes + veg/bloom boosts, bud boost, calmag
    Carbon filter/exhaust, 6" oscillating fan, usb static fan
    Gear and controllers for heat/humitidy used as needed

Strain unknown

Absolutely keep them going transcend ! The worst thing that can happen is you get some good experience with training. Also, identifying males.
    A lot of us started with bagseed from an old head, closet grower person who has since disappeared somewhere in the Dominican Republic. The best thing that can happen is you get lovely things.
    It's worth the effort.
    More elephant!

Coco/perlite
    3x3x6

Comment

Thanks Gingerbeard, that's a good way to look at it ​​​​​​
      2.5x2.5x6' tent

Strain unknown

Comment

For now I would keep them growing, where did the bud the bag seed was in come from? IF it came from a despo, it is likely feminized and they had a hermie that polluted their grow. In this case the seed would be female however you will need to watch for hermies, they dont have to but the chances are increased. Something that could toss a tire tool into the gears is they could have had a real male. A grow near me had 1000 white widow males from a batch of seed. IF it was from wild grown then its 50/50 for male/female. Genetics is the real deal here, you (may) know what the mother was but who was the daddy? Quality can be a toss up but hey the seed was free (kinda).
        When I started growing all there was were bag seed.

Comment

• transcend
          transcend commented
          Editing a comment
          I haven't a clue on the genetics, was in some bud I got off a pal and I just kept the seeds as it was a really good buzz for playing guitar on 😄

This being your first grow, you need the experience of growing. Keep them. Grow them out and manifold them how you like. Only delete them if they are male and you have female that you want to save. Regardless of how it turns out, nothing beats practical knowledge.
        Last edited by Ckbrew; 02-03-2022, 11:18 AM.
        Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

Sure that's a great way to learn and get the feel of training. For sure keep a very good eye on the sex of the plant
          Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
          indoor/outdoor grower
          1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
          1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
          I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
          Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
          Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
          Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Thanks guys, yeah I do want the experience of training so it'll be a win either way. Reminds me of an old saying: the only true failure is one you learn nothing from
            2.5x2.5x6' tent

Strain unknown

Comment

So the LST was a success... I think lol I'm looking at switching to 12/12 in a week or so.

I'd like to flower in a 5gal bag (currently in 2s), is it possible to repot during early flowering (once I know for sure the gender)? Some say the stress of it can cause hermies, others say it's fine.
              I'd just like to avoid wasting resources on a male/s if possible.
              2.5x2.5x6' tent

Strain unknown

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X