which extracts to make?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

which extracts to make?

I have just finished my first grow and have a pile of dried trim. I also have the already-vaped remains of what started as about an ounce of flower.

I have some food-grade alcohol left from a previous experiment. I can access dry ice but haven't bought any bags because I've been overwhelmed by the options.

Question: What kind of extracts should I make?

I have two different materials. I could process each one differently or together. I don't usually do edibles, I typically vape flower and I have a concentrate insert for the vape. I'm thinking maybe dry ice hash or hash oil. Both? I'm not sure how to use the ABV flower.

What's the best way for me to make these into concentrates that involve the least investment of time and money?

Making a smokeable extract involves working at cryo-level temps, so the dry ice will definitely help.
    There are quite a few online resources. This is a really good one- https://www.facebook.com/groups/921284877977347/
    You don't need something like a Source Turbo, it just reclaims the ethanol for reuse.
    Best suggestion would be to remember one thing: cold and quick.
    That will give you the best extract without needing to use supplemental treatment and filtration.
    WHAT???
    5x5 grow space
    900w of Vero's and F-strips
    4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

gbauto If you want simple, toss you're ABV in brownie mix and bake it. Then it'll bake you.

Comment

I've heard of using AVB flower. To me, it stinks like the water fraction dregs from making butter. The easiest extraction is cannabutter but if you don't want edibles then that is not what u r looking for. If you want to smoke it, dry ice hash is probably the least expensive as far as up front costs are concerned. Bubble hash is also an option that many people like. Once you get your bags and bucket, ice and water are inexpensive. For a fine oil, ethanol extraction. That needs some up front costs. If you do not recover the ethanol it will get expensive fast. If you do recover ethanol there will be more up front costs for equipment. Some people use isopropyl or naptha. I would not recommend this as you need to purge your product in a vacuum to remove the toxic solvent, so more cost there. Butane is an option but very dangerous. Also needs purge. CO2 would require a large up front $ and is probably not practical for home use. I suggest that you decide what you want to make first.
        Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

Thanks for the advice and ideas. I am thinking of doing dry ice hash with the trim. I'll wait until I have more AVB then do a water "cure" first to get rid of flavor, then an alcohol extraction to make hash oil, using the culinary solvent I have on-hand.

That might be the only time I make hash oil, because as mentioned, the solvent is expensive and reclaiming it requires an expensive machine. Maybe it will be something that I do once each year or two.

At least I can get the trim taken care of so I don't have to store it. Now, to choose some bags.

Thanks for the input, this really helped me figure it out!
          Last edited by Tone3000; 01-31-2022, 09:32 AM.

Comment

190 everclear is much cheaper and works (almost) as well, only 5% dif in them, and that CS will pick up water as does the EC.

Comment

If the hash oil turns out well, I'll for sure be switching to that once I have used up the CS. Though I have some 151 proof rum hanging around too... You are right, the CS is very spendy!

Comment

I know you're not wanting edibles but that's probably the best use for your ABV. I made firecrackers with it in the past, no bad taste. Throwing it in a boxed brownie mix would probably be best. I wouldn't use the 151 rum.
                Soil: Coast of Maine Stonington Blend, perlite; Seedlings: CoM org potting soil
                Indoor: 2 x 5.5 x 8' Closet grow
                Viparspectra XS2000; EnjoYield 220W full spectrum light added during flower
                Various size fabric grow bags
                Cal-Mag & GH Trio if needed; Flower Fuel & molasses during bloom; ReCharge
                4 clip fans. Exhaust into attic is vented to the eaves
                Current grow: DEAD FLOWERS

"Joker, smoker & midnight toker, I sure don't want to hurt no one"

Comment

• Tone3000
                  Tone3000 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yea, I see now that the everclear is 180 or 190 proof. That would be much closer to the CS. The 151 will not be used for this.
                  No brownies, candy, or butter for me. Still trying to get rid of baby weight, even though the baby is now as tall as I am. I'm open to suggestions for strains that could help.

Now I know what firecrackers are.

Edibles are processed extremely s...l...o...w...l...y by my body. The effect is not what I'm looking for.

• Puglover1
                  Puglover1 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah, you have to preplan an edible experience. I can't do alcohol and a suspect gall bladder limits some fats. I can't stand fake sugar but if you can maybe make something low-cal. I've heard that eating edibles on an empty tummy then an hour later have something with fat in it makes them work faster. I've been struggling trying to make oil and afford the EverClear. I don't mind doing most of the work myself if I can afford etoh recovery in the future. I'd like to be able to press my bud and then do what I want with it. I have a bag of shaky trim in the freezer, not worth using EC, probably making ghee or coco-oil with it. I have a bad hand, not sure I could do the bubble hash thing.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X