Best method for automatic watering of Cocoa Coir/Perlite grow medium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best method for automatic watering of Cocoa Coir/Perlite grow medium

I really like the Bubbleponics/DWC grow medium that the founders of this site explained in great detail, and I will definitely continue to use it in the future. However as I look forward to my 2nd grow, I am compelled to broaden my horizons and experiment with something different. Cocoa Coir/Perlite seems to be one of the popular grow mediums used by folks on this site, and I think I will give it a try.

From reading one of Nebula's articles I saw that she has used Blumat Classic Plant Watering Stakes in the past to automatically water plants while away for a few days. I also read on another site about setting up a nutrient delivery system using Bloom Brothers 9 Inch Hydro Halo Water Rings.

Has anyone else used either of these...or possibly something different? Thoughts?
    Last edited by UberMensch; 01-08-2022, 03:03 PM.
    Grow Tent: 3' x 3' x 72", 4' x 4' x 80"
    Grow Lights: 2 x Vivosun VS1000, Vivosun VS2000, HLG 600
    Grow Medium (Bubba Kush): Coco/Perlite Hydroponics Flora Trio
    Grow Medium (White Widow): Coco/Perlite,General Hydroponics Flora Trio

I used the blumats before. In living soils you have to keep the soil from drying. If you let the top inch or two dry out you are killing the work force that feeds the plant. They are a bit tricky to figure out but once you do, your plants grow like hydro no kidding. I wouldn’t use them if I was feeding bottled nutrients because I think they would clog up the lines, and with bottled nutrients it’s best to let the plant dry out a bit at least from the tutorials and my experience. If you want to set it and forget it you are better off trying a living soil type of grow set up. Then you literally fill the reservoir with clean water when needed and just sit back and watch the plants grow insane. I believe Nebula is using them now? I read it on the weekly Sunday email.

Comment

I love GWE, and grow in living soil now, but I would check out cocoforcannabis.com if that’s what your thinking and you haven’t. Everything you need is there.

Comment

Originally posted by Cali View Post
        I used the blumats before. In living soils you have to keep the soil from drying. If you let the top inch or two dry out you are killing the work force that feeds the plant. They are a bit tricky to figure out but once you do, your plants grow like hydro no kidding. I wouldn’t use them if I was feeding bottled nutrients because I think they would clog up the lines, and with bottled nutrients it’s best to let the plant dry out a bit at least from the tutorials and my experience. If you want to set it and forget it you are better off trying a living soil type of grow set up. Then you literally fill the reservoir with clean water when needed and just sit back and watch the plants grow insane. I believe Nebula is using them now? I read it on the weekly Sunday email.
        Thanks Cali,

It sounds like you may have been using soil as the grow medium, and simply using the Blumats for watering and it sounds like they worked well for your application once the learning curve was complete. I had planned to use the same nutrients I used with the DWC (GH Flora Trio). I bought them in bulk since they were cheaper that way, and I hate to let them go to waste, regardless I will certainly be on the lookout for clogging. I wouldn't plan to use the Blumats on a regular basis, just when I am away, which would be at most a week at a time.

I will probably give the Blumats a test run to see how they work. If I notice clogging issues, I will resort to the Halo Water Rings which receive nutrients pumped from a reservoir on a timer.

Thanks for your feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by Smallgrow View Post
          I love GWE, and grow in living soil now, but I would check out cocoforcannabis.com if that’s what your thinking and you haven’t. Everything you need is there.
          Thanks Smallgrow,

You are right, that is precisely where I saw the article on the Halo Water Rings. It looks very interesting...just a little more work to setup. Hopefully for just a week away I can get away using a simpler system such as the Blumats!

Regards,

Comment

Look into a AutoPot system. No electrics to go wrong while gone.

Comment

UberMensch no problem. If you haven’t already you can go on YouTube and watch the KISS Organics channel with Tad Hussey, he has interviews with the people from blumat and they explain how to set it up for the first time and explain what you can run thru the lines to avoid issues. I believe they even say you can run nutrients? It’s a few interviews very informative channel on cannabis. Tad helped me set up my grow and you can email him and he will gladly help out. Good people. GWE kinda people in my opinion. And you don’t have to buy anything from them either. Like you said for a week I doubt you will have any issues.

Comment

Originally posted by bboyfromwayback View Post
                Look into a AutoPot system. No electrics to go wrong while gone.
                Thanks for the reminder on this. I actually bought one of these last year, then completely forgot about it after seeing the Bubbleponics setup on GWE. I suspect it is somewhere hidden under some boxes in my garage. As I recall it is a good solution for growing in Cocoa/Perlite.

Comment

• bboyfromwayback
                  bboyfromwayback commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It’s a set and forget for 6-10 days system.

Originally posted by Cali View Post
                UberMensch no problem. If you haven’t already you can go on YouTube and watch the KISS Organics channel with Tad Hussey, he has interviews with the people from blumat and they explain how to set it up for the first time and explain what you can run thru the lines to avoid issues. I believe they even say you can run nutrients? It’s a few interviews very informative channel on cannabis. Tad helped me set up my grow and you can email him and he will gladly help out. Good people. GWE kinda people in my opinion. And you don’t have to buy anything from them either. Like you said for a week I doubt you will have any issues.
                Thanks Cali, I will definitely check out that YouTube video. If I end up going with the fiber pots I was hoping there might be a video on how to use the Blumats.

Comment

A bit of a side thought Uber, just my 2cents , but when I started growing seriously a year and a half ago (5 runs complete now), I was excited to try and automate.
                  I’m busy (and sometimes lazy), and it seemed like a good idea. After doing a couple runs it was obvious to me that it was a very important exercise in education to hand water when your getting started. Seeing and being around the plants daily is the best way to learn.
                  That idea was really hammered home when I did my first real outdoor run last summer, and I could see the plants 5-6 times a day. Watching them in nature was probably the best thing I’ve done to learn.
                  KISS is not just a soil system 😉

happy growing

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
                    SoOrbudgal commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Well said Smallgrow very true to be hands on the first few runs. It's a pleasure to me to engauge with the plants, spend time with them.

• UberMensch
                    UberMensch commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Agree completely Smallgrow. I'm simply looking for a way to keep them alive when I have to be away for a week.

Thanks for the feedback, this is a great forum.

One of the recent weekly newsletters mentioned a watering system used while on vacation. You may want to inquire to see how it worked out.
                  Newsletter scroll down https://archive.aweber.com/newslette...ed-indoors.htm
                  and the system mentioned https://www.amazon.com/Blumat-Classi...f_=as_li_ss_tl
                  "That's your fortress of fucking solitude. That puts you, for the rest of your life, at a level of fuck you. Somebody wants you to do something, fuck you. Boss pisses you off, fuck you! Own your house. Have a couple bucks in the bank. Don't drink"

Comment

Originally posted by GreenState View Post
                    One of the recent weekly newsletters mentioned a watering system used while on vacation. You may want to inquire to see how it worked out.
                    Newsletter scroll down https://archive.aweber.com/newslette...ed-indoors.htm
                    and the system mentioned https://www.amazon.com/Blumat-Classi...f_=as_li_ss_tl
                    Thanks!

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                    X