Fimmed the FIM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fimmed the FIM

Newbie question (by the way, I love this site)!

This plant is my first attempt at growing weed since college (40 years ago). After reading some excellent articles (most on this site) pertaining to LST and HST, I tried FIMing Bubba (last name Kush). I think I failed miserably, and was about to abort the grow when I decided to let it go and see what happened. From most of the photos I have seen, I don't think this is what FIMming was supposed to do, however it does appear to be producing some bud sites for a project that didn't go the way I planned. The growth on Bubba I marked with arrows seem to be dominant, the center appears to have been subdued.

My question is this: Should an "untrained plant look like this, or is this the result of a botched "FIM"?

Thanks!
    Grow Tent: 3' x 3' x 72", 4' x 4' x 80"
    Grow Lights: 2 x Vivosun VS1000, Vivosun VS2000, HLG 600
    Grow Medium (Bubba Kush): Coco/Perlite Hydroponics Flora Trio
    Grow Medium (White Widow): Coco/Perlite,General Hydroponics Flora Trio

Welcome to the forum UberMensch In a minute about twenty people will be here to say give us much more grow info on your setup. Judging by appearance You probably did ok with the fim cuz you got good lower branch growth towards the canopy. You are however under lit. How many watts draw from the wall on your lights? They are quite lanky showing they've been reaching for light. Could be a prob in flower as they will want it strong to develop buds.
    Grow # 3 50/50 S/I Critical Mass photo fem
    Seeds drop in water 1/8/2022

Medium: FF Coco Loco plus 30% Perlite in 7 gal cloth bags
    Space: 30x48x62 DIY cabinet lined w/space blankets
    Lighting: Bloomspect SS1000 Quantum board x 3 - 300 watts actual draw
    Soil Supplements: Worm Castings, Crab Shell, Oyster Shell, Neem and Karanja Meal, Volcanic Basalt Dust (for minerals), Recharge root micros. Grow 3 is with reconstituted super soil to which I've added several additional minerals and supplements. A more complete list based on Cackamas Coots super soil recipe can be found in my Auto Toka thread
    i don't grow plants anymore, I grow soil that my plants can thrive in!
    My filtered tap water runs over 7.5 pH but the soil microbes
    make pH correction unnecessary
    Ventilation: Vipospar 4" Exhaust Fan w/RH controller, 12" Carbon Scrubber
    8" bottom intake fan, 6" clip on fan, 6" heater as needed
    Cabinet on screen porch. N AZ @ 4000 ft.

My salute to all who have served
    Semper Fidelis!

Comment

Thanks for the feedback TOKABIGONE.

At first I was just using a single 100W LED, I added a second 100W LED (for a total of 200W) halfway through veg. I have had multiple problems ranging from too many nutrients to burned leaf tips from too much light (got carried away after adding the second light). I'm just hoping to learn from this first grow (and hopefully get a little weed in the process). I'm hoping for better things the next grow cycle.

Thanks again for the feedback...this is a great forum.

Comment

• TOKABIGONE
        TOKABIGONE commented
        Editing a comment
        OK if the light is 100 true watts from the wall then how far away have you had it?The PAR value drops off considerably by inverse square law. A few inches can make a big diff with 1 light and the damage was done. No harm, no foul but with one 100w fixture you could have been closer I think. As close as 15 inches. You just have to watch closely. How close when they burned? You have the right attitude with it. Grow and learn and Happy Pharming!

The burned leaf tips occurred when I advanced the power to 100% on my Vivosun VS1000 lights, I set the lights 12" from the plant canopy.

Clearly 100% power at 12" created a problem.

I moved the lights back to 18", and so far so good. I will continue to experiment and learn how these lights work during the remainder of this grow. Hopefully I will have everything resolved for the next grow!

Comment

Multiple Fimmings like Multiple Orgasms are a joy to behold!

Comment

Originally posted by starramus View Post
          Multiple Fimmings like Multiple Orgasms are a joy to behold!
          Indeed! Once I master this technique, I'm hoping to do just that!

Comment

Hey UberMensch . How'd you pick that handle?
            More elephant!

Coco/perlite
            3x3x6
            Nutes
            CalMag

Comment

Originally posted by Gingerbeard View Post
              Hey UberMensch . How'd you pick that handle?
              I read a lot...and I have a rather twisted sense of humor!

Comment

• Gingerbeard
                Gingerbeard commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm a reader, myself. The colloquial and formal, 'ubermensch' is a pro-Nazi term. It has gone beyond Nietzsche. There is no humor.

Gingerbeard I have a policy of not engaging in debate with angry fools, which I am pretty certain you qualify. If I were to respond to you it would probably be something like the following:
              (1) No, you like to think you are a reader. If you took the time to read Nietzsche you would understand that his concept of the Ubermensch was much different than the Nazi use of the term. Nietzsche's Ubermensch centered on rising above the dogma and tyranny imposed by religious authorities. Furthermore, Nietzsche is well known to have contempt for German nationalism. After Nietzsche's death his sister capitalized on her association with her brother and his work to rub elbows with the Nazi's.
              (2) Once again, my use of it is somewhat of a joke...however in order to get the joke...it takes a certain level of intelligence. Clearly you didn't get it.
              (3) If you have nothing better in your life than to start quarrels on an internet forum, you truly are a complete loser.

Comment

• Gingerbeard
                Gingerbeard commented
                Editing a comment
                Okey dokey little pokey.

• starramus
                starramus commented
                Editing a comment
                Friederich had a fondness, and much respect for the Jewery. He well lays it out in Antichrist. His greatest moment I believe was his theory of "grand recycling" in the theory of eternal recurrence voiced in detail in On the Vision and Riddle contained in Thus Spake Zarathustra. He was most definitely the over man. It seems mad men have the best minds.

Originally posted by UberMensch View Post
              Newbie question (by the way, I love this site)!

This plant is my first attempt at growing weed since college (40 years ago). After reading some excellent articles (most on this site) pertaining to LST and HST, I tried FIMing Bubba (last name Kush). I think I failed miserably, and was about to abort the grow when I decided to let it go and see what happened. From most of the photos I have seen, I don't think this is what FIMming was supposed to do, however it does appear to be producing some bud sites for a project that didn't go the way I planned. The growth on Bubba I marked with arrows seem to be dominant, the center appears to have been subdued.

My question is this: Should an "untrained plant look like this, or is this the result of a botched "FIM"?

Thanks!
              I FIM a lot, it always makes the 4-6 branches under the cut develop - and a bushy grow on general.

I've found the initial FIM works best being done quite yearly, on the 4th or 5th node. Once the new branches underneath start growing I remove the FIMed node, making it into a topping instead, typically 3 to 4 days after the FIM.

Tried all sorts of filming and topping on a bunch of plants growing outside last year, the technique above worked best done multiple times.
              The location did not have a lot of omnidirectional, but mostly overhead light, 6-8 hours/day. So by trimming the plants to have a flat canopy the tops were all at the same height getting the same amount of light.

Got between 500-700 grams harvest per plant, most on the one where I managed to keep it perfectly flat.
              Not to big of a difference though, guess it all ends up being about canopy area size and photons hitting it

/stride

​​​

Comment

Originally posted by stridex View Post

I FIM a lot, it always makes the 4-6 branches under the cut develop - and a bushy grow on general.

I've found the initial FIM works best being done quite yearly, on the 4th or 5th node. Once the new branches underneath start growing I remove the FIMed node, making it into a topping instead, typically 3 to 4 days after the FIM.

Tried all sorts of filming and topping on a bunch of plants growing outside last year, the technique above worked best done multiple times.
                The location did not have a lot of omnidirectional, but mostly overhead light, 6-8 hours/day. So by trimming the plants to have a flat canopy the tops were all at the same height getting the same amount of light.

Got between 500-700 grams harvest per plant, most on the one where I managed to keep it perfectly flat.
                Not to big of a difference though, guess it all ends up being about canopy area size and photons hitting it

/stride

​​​
                Thanks so much stridex, folks like yourself sharing what has worked for them, is a huge benefit to those of us who are new to this!

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X