Light distance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Light distance?

I’m now wondering about relative light distances. I know that all the “hot” lights ie HPS etc... need plenty of space from the top of the canopy, but with LED quantum panels the recommended distances are closer. I was wondering, if I go to a stronger LED Q panel, is the distance more critical? In other words since I’m growing now at @ -12” space from the canopy, no problems in late flowering stage, does that add up to the same DLI if I spent the $ on a more powerful light fixture? I mean, it seems to me that in a 20”x36” tent a 300w LED Q panel would do well but I’d have to keep it up farther away. It seems to me, that learning to adjust the height of a slightly weaker light (2-200w Q panels) would accomplish much the same thing with a bit more attention on my part. Am I wrong? Any input would be helpful and interesting.
    New indoors grower.
    super soil, Pmoss, perlite mix
    2-100w dimmable quantum led panels
    2’x3’ grow space lined with auto windshield reflectors.
    4” carbon filter + other exhaust fans + one 6” fan on the plants.
    Dyna Grow + nutrients

No, you are not. In the vegetative stage, LED grow lights should be between 12-24 inches away from the top of the canopy. During this stage, more light is needed for photosynthesis, so the light source should be located closer to the plants

Comment

BU2B , I just found out, with the Hydra 1000, the change from 12” up to 14” only reduces ppfd from 1000s - 800s BUT, the periphery gains in intensity from @300- 400s up to the 600-700 range. So back up to @14”. Click image for larger version  Name:	819CB667-FCA6-4B75-9686-69E2B4E30641.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.90 MB ID:	552624 Because I spread out the main colas to the periphery where She can use more light not less. It is a balancing act that seems to be less a problem with higher intensity fixtures over all.
      I’m currently waiting for Apple to allow me to reset my password so I can purchase (from them), a light meter app, Photone or something like that. It looks to be fairly good and accurate.
      Last edited by GuitboxTom; 01-09-2022, 12:47 PM.
      New indoors grower.
      super soil, Pmoss, perlite mix
      2-100w dimmable quantum led panels
      2’x3’ grow space lined with auto windshield reflectors.
      4” carbon filter + other exhaust fans + one 6” fan on the plants.
      Dyna Grow + nutrients

Comment

• GuitboxTom
        GuitboxTom commented
        Editing a comment
        Update; 11weeks and 4 days into flower chopped the (smaller one on the right) Black Sugar. Letting the CBD C+C go one or 2 days more due to new pistils on fox tailing growth. She shows a few amber trichomes down lower but the new growth is @1/2 clear yet. I’m not sure if the fox tailing is due to lowering the lights to -12 inches or lights on all night and 89F. one night at @ 4 weeks into flowering. My playing with light distance didn’t help, I’m sure of that.

I run my QB-style panels @ 18-20" above the canopy.
      That will usually give me a spot ppfd around 900 in the center of the canopy when run at 30-35 watts/ sq ft(480 w in a 4x4).
      That's what I run in flower. In veg, I keep the same hanging height but run @ 50% power.
      WHAT???
      5x5 grow space
      900w of Vero's and F-strips
      4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X