Bud Washing Re: Dec 19/21 Newsletter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bud Washing Re: Dec 19/21 Newsletter

Outdoor - I would almost always "wash" buds since there's always some contamination I'd rather not smoke, be it from bug & bird poop, those bugs that are living on them for good or bad some others that get stuck to resin & as does other airborne stuff like dandelion seed "fluff" & similar weed/tree seeds, likely also unseen PM that may starting. However, normally though I simply, after trimming run them under lukewarm/air temperature (not cold) water tap at a steady but not too aggressive water pressure/speed, this seems no worse than the effect a good rain shower would have on them? Shake off well excessive water & hang with light fan directly on them ~ 1 hour to drip and evaporate excessive water, then hang to dry as normal. Examining trichomes before & after rinsing in this way Ive seen no noticeable loss of trichomes & doesn't add noticeably to overall drying time.Unless there's signs of PM I won't normally resort to immersing in a bath with peroxide added, then I rinse under tap, immerse in bath ~ 30 seconds, then rinse again. Again Ive seen no noticeable loss of trichomes doing this either & some piece of mind its disinfected for medical reasons. Although I will say it seems in some cases that the peroxide may actually cause buds to dry out faster & possibly decrease "stickiness" of resin in process.
    Indoors - almost never unless there's some compelling reason & normally run an air purifier in grow space to limit airborne contaminants & circulate air (if you grow photoperiods careful of lights on these appliances that may disrupt dark periods!)

Cheers
    SmokinJ

I found that the 3 stage wash cycle was a waste of time and effort and I always had residual baking soda that made bud kind of crispy after dry. Now I just soak in tepid water for a couple minutes, rinse, and that's it.

Comment

• Smokinjzcafe
      Smokinjzcafe commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea found that also, you have to rinse well after anyways Ive tried a few things in past if they had small amounts of powdery mildew, soda serves to raise alkalinity which apparently shocks pests & mildew to release grip which tap water alkalinity usually does anyway & washes crap away, lemon adds acidity so counteracts soda alkalinity so not sure purpose it may do same & disinfects a bit but adds lemon smell, small amounts of peroxide least intrusive & evaporates as oxygen but may actually dry faster, in any case I find buckets get contaminant debri in them quickly & again rinse after anyway, simply rinsing under lukewarm tap seems effective, simple & easiest possibly chlorine in water even disinfects a bit, other than doing nothing & smoking more bugs & other crap. Ive experimented with indoor/uncontaminated bud & seen no difference in quality of cure between simply rinsing & not rinsing. Outdoor bud it gives me more piece of mind Im smoking less bug crap & not losing any quality, if its too bad I throw it away anyways. Otherwise there's no reason to avoid rinsing, if you think so better get an umbrella for plants to protect them from the rain also.

There's a company in states called GreenGro (thegreengro.com) they sell a product called Flower Shower for cleaning bud I can't get it yet here in Canada I will try it when I can get some, but its likely same principles they also have premium quality dry & water soluble fertilizers.

Cheers
      SmokinJ

try a greenhouse made from clear plastic sheets next time...may allow you to avoid the washing.
    I hope there is an afterlife...there are a lot of friends and family I'd like to see again, one day.

Comment

• crucialbunny
      crucialbunny commented
      Editing a comment
      Been there. Facing south, my grow is in constant sun and it becomes an oven. This year going with a mosquito netting tent I found online.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X