Cloning problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cloning problems

Hey folks, can’t figure out why my cloning procedure is not working to the 10 day root sprouting schedule I follow by GWE. Maybe I’m keeping it too wet inside clone dome or maybe too much rooting powder at insert to cubes? I try to use most bottom healthiest cuttings, new razor to cut 45 degree slice about 2 1/2” below 1st set of leaves, shave off harden skin at base of stem by new slice, dip in water, then in rooting powder and plant into cube and add a tsp of water at stem insert to cube. They start off wilted but within a couple hours are standing straight up and looking healthy. But-14 days now and only 2 of 12 clones are shooting roots. I also see like wilting and upper leaves dying.Any advise to speed up or get better response in the numbers?
    Attached Files

The two with roots are doing well? Looks like the plants are eating itself to stay alive, your yellow and dead curled leaves. If they have no roots after 14 days that would make sense. You said you shaved off the hardened skin on the base of the stem. If you went to deep that may be a problem. I usually just scrape up the stem with the sharp edge of the razor so it looks damaged. Also keep the stem / root area wet. You can try adding some aloe to the solution that you are feeding to them. Use fresh plant squeeze out the gel from inside and mix with water. about 4cm of leaf to 1L of water. Lots of hormones to help the plants grow. As soon as they pop roots, transplant and cut off the yellow.
    Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

• Brianm
      Brianm commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Ckbrew, I’ll remember that going forward

What will you be transplanting them into soil, coco, or hydro?

Comment

• Brianm
      Brianm commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Dphipps, I’m a soil grower in bush doc’s cocoanut husk soil- great stuff. All my plant really do good in 1st 2 months. After that my work begins to maintain proper balances. Problem is getting clones to sprout roots to the GWE schedule. I must be doing something wrong? It always takes way longer to sprout roots and by then plants looks almost dead. What am I doing wrong?

• dphipps1020
      dphipps1020 commented
      Editing a comment
      The way I have started cloning is really easy, and almost guaranteed to work every time. Get a 1 gallon pot and some plastic freezer bags. Cut the zipper off the bags and fill your pots with soil. Water the soil fairly well, you want pretty much the whole pot to be moist. Take a pen/pencil or your finger and make your hole for your cutting. Dip in your rooting gel/powder or aloe or whatever you're using and stick down in the hole probably 1.5" and pack the soil in around it. Give it another light water and stick the bag over it. Then all you have to do is wait about 3-5 days (usually, sometimes it takes a few extra days) without watering or spraying or anything else. After about the third or fourth day, you should be able to take the bag off for an hour or so to see if it's ready to go on it's own. If she droops really bad after an hour, put the bag back on for another day and repeat. If she doesn't droop after an hour or more, she's probably got roots going and is good to go. I used to use the cloning tray and dome as well but I found this method to be much easier and I feel like I get better results as well.

The trick with the dome is to leave the vents open after a few days and make sure there's a little water in the bottom of the tray to keep the cubes moist. And don't spray as much after the first couple days. That will force the cuttings to look for water since they're not getting as much through the leaves, therefore promoting root growth. Hope these suggestions help, sorry for the delayed response. Happy growing!

If the leaves are getting water, why would they grow roots? I use aloe for cloning gel works very well, and the aloe plant was given to me, so free cloning gel.

Comment

• Brianm
      Brianm commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Rwise, your the second person to mention aloe for cloning. I will try that going forward. Thanks again 😎

• Ckbrew
      Ckbrew commented
      Editing a comment
      I think it was Rwise who turned me on to the aloe.

Hey bud 😂,
    Rwise- I appreciate your advise and it sounds like I may have a issue to get under control with too much watering and keeping things to wet. My 5 new girls are in trouble and want to seek your advise of what I can do to bring the ladies back healthier? All indications show to be overwatering.
    Presently I give plants 3 days with last watering. But when I water I tend to get more than 20% run off and always have to clean up. Is that too much water at once? I do keep a dehumidifier at tent door to keep it between 43-50, temp kept between 73-79, 4 fans circulating air but not blowing on plants. Any advise would be great 🙏🏻
    Attached Files

Comment

Brianm Too much to often. Pick up the pot there's a big difference between wet and dry. Light pot-- water, heavy pot don't.

Comment

Thanks, I do tend to do that and be sure it’s dry to first nickel but I’ll keep at it and pay attention like that. B

Comment

What PRIMO said, lift the pot, if its heavy let it be and reduce the amount given when watered.

Comment

• Brianm
            Brianm commented
            Editing a comment
            Kool, that’s what my common sense is saying also to reduce amount given. I’m waiting until 4th day before watering again or if I see leaves starting to wilt.
            Interesting note on this: these are 3 diff. strains with 2 cones from first topping of mothers- purple k & blue berry. Also a white widow (not cloned) I’m growing 2 clones in small pots to just grow naturally and kept small. My watering methods have not seem to be effecting the mother or clone BB with yellowing leaves and spots? But, the clone of the pk and WW adult have the symptoms?

Heys folks so never did get it figured out what was causing yellowing leaves weather it was watering, lighting, too much dehumidifier or what? But, I did discover I had infest of nats and I treated with earths power pesticide. Now only 2-3 weeks until completed 2 month flower stage and pistols just starting to brown & curl. At this point all I can think is to do is pull lights further away, tone them down a bit and just flush them till harvest. Mostly all yellow with top sugar leaves turning a reddish color and I just pray the 5 plants will still be good?
          Any feedback would be welcomed. B
          Attached Files

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X