Your favorite strain? Why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your favorite strain? Why?

There are a lot of varieties out there which can be overwhelming to newcomers so I wanted ask the veterans here which strains are their favorite for growing and if you could explain why that would be great..
    5x7 closet with reflective mylar on the walls
    2 UF-4000 LEDs (set to 25K Lumens at the plant)
    150 CFM bathroom vent installed in ceiling exhausting through a roof vent
    Elitech STC-1000Wifi Temp&Humidity Controller
    1X Sundae Driver in 35g grow bag
    2X Orange Velvet in 35g grow bags

I think you are asking our favourite strain for new growers vs just our fave strains overall?

I would say auto strains are not optimal for new growers because they don’t leave a lot of room to recover from problems. On the photo side for a new grower I would almost always say northern lights for being forgiving of sub-optimal growing situations, mold resistant, decent yields and nice smell. I would only add that the same strain name can differ between seed suppliers - if I am interested in trying something specific I try to find the original supplier. It isn’t that a secondary supplier can’t produce a good seed but it is more likely you will get weirdness from a supplier that has tried to breed up their own version of a popular seed.

Overall (as opposed to for new growers) I don’t think I have a specific recommendation. So many strains to try - I almost always try new ones each grow rather than stick with a favourite. People try to pick something based on what they personally want to achieve (e.g. strength, smell, flavour, colours, plant size, yield, mold resistance, effect, etc etc) so my recommendation would differ from person to person. I personally would probably grow pineapple chunk again if I had to pick one I’d already grown.

Comment

I prefer growing photos myself. I don’t really have favorites, some strains like Purple Kush can be a pain to grow but worth it. I grow a variety for different effects.

A couple good all around strains I’d recommend for new growers that you can smoke all day and are easy to grow would be Gorilla Glue #4 and Girl Scout Cookies.

Comment

Yes, I am asking from a newcomer standpoint. Both posts so far are already very helpful. What to avoid your first attempt, what strains are more forgiving. Good stuff!

Comment

And are we growing inside or outside?

Comment

Originally posted by Rwise View Post
            And are we growing inside or outside?
            Not sure if this was a question to me or a suggestion for included information but I am currently growing indoors. I do want to try outdoors after winter passes so am interested in both.

Comment

Special occasion, Great White Shark, Peanut butter breath. There are many but those 3 come to mind.

Comment

if you want something easy to grow you could try Northern Lights (needs lots of light, hence the name), White widow (very resilient plant good for indoors outdoors in cooler northern climates), OG Kush or Gorrilla glue. These were some of the first strains (Autoflower) I grew and were fairly easy to do.

I hope there is an afterlife...there are a lot of friends and family I'd like to see again, one day.

Comment

I like Super Silver Haze from ILGM as a "favorite" for indoors, in soil. Just got a 10 + 10 deal on feminized seeds (buy 10 at full price get 20) because we have liked it so much. It produces heavy buds, smokes great and not a difficult grow. I have gotten great germination with SSH from ILGM. First time I re-order the same seeds (because my cured reserves of SSH are almost out!)

Comment

For new comers I would recommend bag seed and lots of it. Grow extra plants to experiment on- and if they don't make it, no worries there are lots of them if the experiment does not go well. Once you get skill, then pick strains imo.
                    Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

• Smokesteve
                      Smokesteve commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Bag seed too inconsistent I respectfully disagree.

• DeadlyFruit
                      DeadlyFruit commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I agree in principal. If you are just experimenting and don’t care so much about the outcome so much as learning and the experience then bag seed all the way and lots of it. If you want to increase your odds of a good outcome at a cost then I’m still for growing a few extra plants as a cushion but perhaps with more stable genetics.

I'm with Ckbrew . But with a twist. Old Head buddy has been growing for years and getting seeds out of every crop. The weed was always dank. For the last several years I knew him, OH had been breeding in his closet. He called his weed 'Closet Swirl' because, over the years, the strains have intermingled and swirled around the closet. Here's a picture of a long ago grow and the veg chamber I had to build because my tent wasn't tall enough for the twin towers, which was a once topped plant.
                    Smokesteve the inconsistency of bag seed is fun for me. Growing a bunch of the same is easy. Catering to different needs adds a little more... I don't know... love?
                    ' Been a couple years, now. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6592.JPG
Views:	530
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	549301Click image for larger version

Name:	6.JPG
Views:	531
Size:	1.86 MB
ID:	549302Click image for larger version

Name:	7.JPG
Views:	540
Size:	572.1 KB
ID:	549300
                    More elephant!

Coco/perlite
                    3x3x6

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
                      SoOrbudgal commented
                      Editing a comment
                      LOL closet guru heehee get out of there........I know your new setup just funny when we all started

• click
                      click commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You have totally inspired me. In my other thread on my first growing attempt (https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-after-1-month) I was lamenting having to finish my autos on a 12/12 schedule because of my one photo sharing my closet. I saw your veg chamber and thought "I have boxes. I have aluminum foil. Why am I compromising?" Ferb, I know what we are doing today.

• Gingerbeard
                      Gingerbeard commented
                      Editing a comment
                      At the time, all I had was my 2x3x4.5 closet tent. No problem with subterfuge. A stack of three boxes in the corner of my room looks like storage. Had someone come in the apartment for some sort of whatever they needed to look at, I'd uh' been square.

Purple Punch by Barney's Farms. Photo feminized. Its fast finishing and will sit you down. Auto's ain't worth fooling with unless you get the right strain and even then they are not any faster. Good luck !!
                    Focus and relativity.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
                      SoOrbudgal commented
                      Editing a comment
                      What Eliot Pryor said and.......Blue Dream, Bubba Kush, GSC, sooo many good ones

• bboyfromwayback
                      bboyfromwayback commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I feel the same way about autos, unless you veg a photo forever autos aren’t any faster.

• click
                      click commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I hear you. Wishing I had been able to keep my Chem-Dog auto in veg until I sorted out why it wasn't growing. As it is it started flowering when it was barely 10cm tall and no branches. Nice looking bud though - might be good for a few tokes.

I for one like the Afghani strains, Good for pain relief and ease for hash making. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-12-08 at 10.19.08 AM.png
Views:	551
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	549356
                    Light: Viparspectra P2000, Viparspectra P1500, Viparspectra XS2000, KingLed 1500
                    Medium: organic, Fafard perlite, Fafard Urban Garden organic mix, Organic compost shrimps.
                    Nutrients: Alaskan Fish, Advanced Nutrients Big Bud, Advanced Nutrients Ancient Earth, Advanced Nutrients Sensi Cal Mag Xtra
                    Full auto grow
                    Grow room : 8X12X10, 2 industrial fans, 1 dehumidifier, 1 Vivosun carbon filter & controller
                    12 Wild Thailand Ryder from WOS

Comment

• click
                      click commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Great list. What about them makes them good for making hash? Also, do you recall which, if any, were a challenge to grow?

• Farmbuck
                      Farmbuck commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Not all from the list I grew but the ones I did I made Hash out of it like AG, Afghan, WW and NL.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X