outdoor auto question, lights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

outdoor auto question, lights?

I have some outdoor autos going now about 1 week in 5 gallon soil. I get a little more than 10 hours sunlight now. I am thinking about putting them under some kind of light at night and keeping them outdoors. I have no room in the house and wife says no way. I have a carport to hang lights from and I can run extension cord. Thinking lights would also keep plants warm at night. I have never used artificial light before so I have no idea if this would or could work. Can this work? Can grow lights be used with extension cord? I am thinking this could be fun experiment or disaster. I see used lights for sale cheap.

Not an electrical engineer here, I used a short heavy duty cord last year to make it to my timer outlet, np. Hey, how did your Wild Thai turn out?
    Soil: Coast of Maine Stonington Blend, perlite; Seedlings: CoM org potting soil
    Indoor: 2 x 5.5 x 8' Closet grow
    Viparspectra XS2000; EnjoYield 220W full spectrum light added during flower
    Various size fabric grow bags
    Cal-Mag & GH Trio if needed; Flower Fuel & molasses during bloom; ReCharge
    4 clip fans. Exhaust into attic is vented to the eaves
    Current grow: DEAD FLOWERS

"Joker, smoker & midnight toker, I sure don't want to hurt no one"

Comment

• desertdan
      desertdan commented
      Editing a comment
      One turned out well produced 1.5 pounds of buds but smells like blueberries. Did not expect that. The other the root aphids got to it and I will make hash from entire plant. It produced almost 2 fair quality pounds despite root aphids.

• Puglover1
      Puglover1 commented
      Editing a comment
      That's good! You had a heck of a time with storms, rain, and wind in the desert this past summer. Hmm, blueberries, that'd be cool. I'm getting much closer to restarting my closet grow, decided to clean the house thoroughly so I can devote my time to the girls. Buying what I might need when I see deals, catching up from not having a clothes dryer for 5 months. ATM I'm watching Da Bears play AZ, Bears are not looking too good but they are more used to playing in the rain.

"Can grow lights be used with extension cord?"

Yes. You need to properly size your cable. You need to know how many amps your power draw is (watts x volts = amps) , and how long is the distance from power source to power usage. That will determine what size your cable gauge needs to be.

Here is a calculator that will tell you how to determine what cable size you need: http://www.paigewire.com/pumpWireCal...ookieSupport=1

When dealing with electrical power it could always be a disaster if you do not do it correctly. Done correctly it is always fun. As for the lights, cheap is as cheap does, but what ever it takes to make it happen.
    Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

• desertdan
      desertdan commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks much. Thought long cord could be a problem. will calculate now. talking cheap because it is experiment outdoors and who knows what could happen

• Rwise
      Rwise commented
      Editing a comment
      Try this formula
      Converting watts to amps can be done using the power formula, which states that I = P ÷ E, where P is power measured in watts, I is current measured in amps, and E is voltage measured in volts. Thus, the current I in amps is equal to the power P in watts divided by the voltage V in volts.

Heres some info on this typ of conversions
    Tutorial on how to Convert Watts to Amps, or how to convert Amps to Watts, conversion at fixed voltage or fixed current, how many watts in a volt, how many volts in a watt

Comment

as long as the temps overnight don't drop below 10C they should be fine. as long as the 10 hours is in direct sunlight (but not too hot) they should do fine...maybe just grow a little slower. Overnight lights might also attract unwanted attention depending on where you are.
      I hope there is an afterlife...there are a lot of friends and family I'd like to see again, one day.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X