50/50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

50/50

I'm putting together my first grow in coco. The autopot system I use recommends a 50/50 mix of coco and perlite. I'm trying to figure out how to measure that. Autopot also recommends the same ratio when growing in soil, which is what I currently use in my auto tent. I have only guessed at what looks like a 50/50 mix. I'd like to be a little more accurate with the coco/perlite mix. I've read through some of the tutorials on GWE, looked at YT vids, and asked the google machine for help but haven't found anything definitive. Is the ratio defined by volume? Maybe I'm over thinking this?
    Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11", HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Autopot system, Coco 50/50 perlite: Ace Seeds fem photo Purple Haze x Malawi x 2 Seeds dropped 2-2-24
    Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: 100% Sativa Ace Seeds Malawi x 4
    Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

I mixed mine by volume. 70/30. 3 pots worth of coco, 1 pot + a generous handful of perlite .
    Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

• JohnEmad
      JohnEmad commented
      Editing a comment
      hey golfnrl, My advice is don't sweat the exact ratio. Close enough will work fine. Always has for me. The 50/50 is only a recommendation.
      I also use 70/30 coco/perlite or close enough. I go by volume basically.
      Happy growing.

the ratio isn't super important but 70/30 can be good too. Just remember the PH values in coir will be slightly lower and you need to start feeding as soon as the plant gets it's first set of leaves. Coir also tends to dry out quicker so adjust your watering as necessary.
    I hope there is an afterlife...there are a lot of friends and family I'd like to see again, one day.

Comment

Let's work with ten gallons.
      70% is 7 gallons. 30% is 3 gallons. Since you can't subtract coco from a premix, you have to add perlite. Add 4 gallons of perlite to the 3 gallons that are already in the premix. That's 7 gallons of perlite to 7 gallons of coco: 50/50.
      More elephant!

Coco/perlite
      3x3x6
      Nutes
      CalMag

Comment

I used a beer bucket, X buckets of soil, X buckets of perlite to make the ratio right.
        Soil: Coast of Maine Stonington Blend, perlite; Seedlings: CoM org potting soil
        Indoor: 2 x 5.5 x 8' Closet grow
        Viparspectra XS2000; EnjoYield 220W full spectrum light added during flower
        Various size fabric grow bags
        Cal-Mag & GH Trio if needed; Flower Fuel & molasses during bloom; ReCharge
        4 clip fans. Exhaust into attic is vented to the eaves
        Current grow: DEAD FLOWERS

"Joker, smoker & midnight toker, I sure don't want to hurt no one"

Comment

Ok...maybe I've been over thinking or pondering the subtleties of coco/soil/perlite ratios while stoned. I think I get it. Thx for the math lesson Gingerbeard that makes sense. And I like the idea of using a bucket or container of some kind as that is what I did with the soil mix. If that is close enough, I'm good. Thx for the input everyone.
          Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11", HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Autopot system, Coco 50/50 perlite: Ace Seeds fem photo Purple Haze x Malawi x 2 Seeds dropped 2-2-24
          Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: 100% Sativa Ace Seeds Malawi x 4
          Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X