Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Never adjust pH again? Yes it can be done by building your own soil! It's EZ!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool I never did the dry amendment route. Always used just homemade compost. Congrats on your first auto grow btw. Looks delicious. I would add dolomite lime to your recipe as I have found too many times now the bigger an auto gets the more they want calcium. Every time I've not used it I've had pH problems mid flower. The lime is a great buffer as the soil alone can only do so much.I'm also of the belief that if going organic you do not want to let your pots dry out too much. Especially if you have earthworms in your pots. After my last run I still had several live wigglers in each rootball. they work.
    as far as all this buying amendments because it has beneficial bacteria or some such. Go outside and dig up some dirt from your lawn. Just a cup. Mix it with your soil. Bam.stop being scammed.
    keeping it green with the soil thing
    love me some frosty autos
    braap
    BRAAPZAI https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...162-braaap-zai
    Mephisto run. yeah i know spellcheck https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...-memphisto-run
    the fruit basket https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...et-auto-runrun
    blue strawberries in a four assed galaxy https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...r-assed-galaxy

Comment

• TOKABIGONE
      TOKABIGONE commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes indeed I will be adding more like azomite, oyster shell, which replaces dolomite lime, and kelp, which I forgot last time, for the next go which will be back to photos. Will have to be on my toes because photos will deplete the soil just from the longer veg time, 6 more weeks than photos. I would not use dirt because I have no idea exactly what's in it and my practically lifeless soil is desert ash, glass and sand. You'd have to sift a ton of it to find a few bacteria. Recharge and its ilk is $15 a bag which lasts many grows. It's like instant gratification of microbial colonies. The microbes replace buffering as they convert the raw elements to a form ready for uptake by the roots in their crap! There's a lot more in a tablespoon of Recharge than a cup of soil. Just add water (not adjusted!) and wait a couple weeks for them to establish so they're ready when the roots get there. I even left the bag unsealed for 6 months and it still is very good. 30% castings hold water well while the coir and perlite provide good drainage. The texture is very friable, excellent texture! Bonus points for reuse many times with no more expense! Less work, less worry, great harvest. Sounds like a no lose deal to me!
      Last edited by TOKABIGONE; 12-03-2021, 11:11 PM.

• crucialbunny
      crucialbunny commented
      Editing a comment
      TOKABIGONE For the past 4 years I've been adding a good dose of coarse sand to my soil and I have seen a difference. Lots of minerals like silica and it enables better drainage. Last year was my first season using Azomite. It works great, especially in my rooting soil for seedlings and clones.

• TOKABIGONE
      TOKABIGONE commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah I don't think I mentioned the volcanic basalt I added...course sandy texture adds many trace minerals. Thanks crucialbunny!

Another good place to check out is Buildasoil YouTube channel. Jeremy the owner makes videos, right now he has a few series done and one close to harvest. Super informative if anyone is looking to transition to living soil/ organic that’s the channel you want to watch. He explains everything I mean everything and does live FAQ so don’t miss out. All his soil recipes are based on the original the one and only Clackamas Coot mix.

Comment

• TOKABIGONE
      TOKABIGONE commented
      Editing a comment
      Haha, been there done that, lmao. Bought my Neem/Karanja meal and volcanic basalt there. Haven't check their U Tube but I am going to read up on Clackamas Coots today. Thanks for that!

• TOKABIGONE
      TOKABIGONE commented
      Editing a comment
      OK I'm back..they were short articles but what a wealth of info so thanks again Cali Of course I was happy to see I'm on track to do what I set out to accomplish. The coots recipe uses what I did with more I missed because I was in a rush to start my auto grow. I would have to go back to my high school biology and chemistry teachers for extra credit to understand the lingo in some of it but the basics are there for me as reference going forward. The only thing I question is the use of Sphagnum Moss versus Coir. Right now I believe they serve the same purpose so i'll continue with Coir. Maybe one of these days I'll get some CSPM to run a comparison. The conservationist in me makes me want to use a renewable resource. Coir is, decomposed Moss is not so that's where I am for now. I'm glad I started this thread as I have learned a ton about the true biology involved in what I want to do. Forget about pH and concentrate on healthy vigorous plants with a spectacular yield! Now I'm off to Build A Soil to see what Jeremy has to say about it.
      Last edited by TOKABIGONE; 12-04-2021, 02:24 AM.

• TOKABIGONE
      TOKABIGONE commented
      Editing a comment
      So I read and watched Build A Soil's Jeremy vid about soil mixing which really is an infomercial for there mix but the recipe is pretty clear and reaffirms what I've done but takes it a few steps further in addressing just about every element in nature they add. He helped dismiss a few of my misconceptions as well so I should have a well rounded medium for my next go. I'm going back to price their kit to see if it's worth buying vs trying to recreate it.

crucialbunny funny you bring up the flushing idea. Check out the Buildasoil YouTube channel, Jeremy just made a video recently in that check it out. I don’t bother with it.

Comment

TOKABIGONE you are definitely on the right track. I would recommend you search Clackamas coot and listen to the man talk on YouTube he explains his recipe and also teaches what you can use for IPM. Teaches about pest control which in organic soil it’s a must. Jeremy has recipes on his site which once again is based off coots advice and those recipes teach you how to properly emulsify Neem oil or other oils that if made yourself can save you a lot a lot of money vs going to buy the same product watered down and paying an arm and a leg for it. That reminds me. I source out almost everything for my mix now it’s cheaper. For example I can buy a 3.5 cubic feet bale of SPPM for about 12 bucks at Lowe’s and online they are like 60 bucks plus shipping. Damn I wish I can go to Oregon that where Most of my shopping around leads me to online and the products are cheap it’s the dipping that gets you

Comment

• TOKABIGONE
        TOKABIGONE commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes thanks, see my comment above from 3am. They have pre-mixed or amendment kits already portioned out for diff mediums including when you reconstitute used. Prices are better than DIY which surprised me. You add your own medium, perlite and castings but still cheaper. I like it.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X