Inexpensive LED lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inexpensive LED lights

I have a light fixture in the kitchen which takes 4 x t-12 4 foot fluorescent bulbs. The fixture is old, the tubes burnt, and the ballasts cranky. I tore out the ballasts, and tubes and replaced them with LED lights.

When I first turned the light on after the conversion I thought I was in a grow room. It was so bright that I removed 2 of the LED tubes, then removed a third. The light in the kitchen is better than ever with just one replacement LED. This got me to thinking, could these lights be used to grow? Four of these lights is almost 100 watts. They use 110 - 220V ac straight from the wall. With some sockets for the tubes, one could build a light with close spacing of these lights. I think there is some of the desired spectrum of light missing, perhaps there are other similar lights with different spectrum. Anyone try this yet?
    Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Hello, I've had some experiences at the beginning with commercial light / not made to grow and then switched to regular grow leds with much better results for the same power/price. In grow light, a lot of research is done on spectrum, light penetration, heat, reflection, ect... while commercial leds tend to focus mainly on how bright the light appears to be to the human eyes. I've had great experiences using multiple mars hydro ts600 full spectrum light, they are stupid cheap and powerful. I wouldn't grow again without professional grow light made for this purpose. It's just worth the investment.

Comment

I'd like to find two 8 foot tubes like these, I have an old double fixture downstairs, both tubes are burned out.
      Soil: Coast of Maine Stonington Blend, perlite; Seedlings: CoM org potting soil
      Indoor: 2 x 5.5 x 8' Closet grow
      Viparspectra XS2000; EnjoYield 220W full spectrum light added during flower
      Various size fabric grow bags
      Cal-Mag & GH Trio if needed; Flower Fuel & molasses during bloom; ReCharge
      4 clip fans. Exhaust into attic is vented to the eaves
      Current grow: DEAD FLOWERS

"Joker, smoker & midnight toker, I sure don't want to hurt no one"

Comment

• Ckbrew
        Ckbrew commented
        Editing a comment
        I bet you could get away with one 4 footer, unless you want to wear shades inside.

• Puglover1
        Puglover1 commented
        Editing a comment
        I have a couple of 4 ft fixtures also but my basement is 24' x 52' with 4-5 cheap basic light bulb holders spread around, all on one switch, thrown together fast by my cousin. When I bought the 3-year-old modular ranch there was one switched light to go downstairs, above the hard turn. Then you had to walk in the dark to pull a string for the laundry area in the corner's light. I feel like I need an LED flashlight to see down there with all the lights on. However, that dbl 8 ft fixture is above a homemade ping pong table screwed onto an old 8-ft wood dining room table, would make a great work area.

I get mine on AliExpress. Got two 65 watt Samsung full spectrum, w/IR and two 100 w Samsung full Spectrum w/IR,UV for under $200. The two 65w are more than enough for my 3x3x5 grow tent and the two 100w will augment some HPS in a flower room.

They are cheap with no dimmer but that isn't a problem.

Comment

I dunno, Ckbrew . I'm looking at numbers between t-5's and you LED's. 40000 Lumens vs 5000. 6500k vs 5000k. You would have better grow light with t-5's. I guess. As much as I know about light numbers and junk.
        More elephant!

Coco/perlite
        3x3x6
        Nutes
        CalMag

Comment

I was just spit balling the idea for someone on an extreme low budget. I have been using sf 4000 and so far it has done me well.

Comment

I try to look important, sometimes, CK. Those are numbers I've seen people mention. My method of picking lights has been aping others.
            Friends get on different apps and find crazy prices from some local person trying to get rid of something in a hurry. Maybe Offer Up is one? Craigslist, maybe? I'm all for budget! Something that has helped me out is only buying what I need and seeing if friends had, maybe, a pot I could use. Started with two t-5's and two fans. Added what I needed as I went along. When I was able, I put plants in the sun to supplement.
            Also buy the best you can afford at the time. It'll help save upgrading things as often.
            More elephant!

Coco/perlite
            3x3x6
            Nutes
            CalMag

Comment

I get the scientific approach to things, there is also the practical get it done side. When I started I had 4 x t-12 tubes for like 6 weeks until it was warm enough for outside. I bet if I had these on hand at the time instead of the t-12 it would have run better. All part of the learning curve.

Comment

Didn't need to start a new thread for this. Talking about cheap stuff. Buyer beware.
                More elephant!

Coco/perlite
                3x3x6
                Nutes
                CalMag

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X