Reusing Coco Coir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reusing Coco Coir

I have my 3 gal. pots of used Coco from my previous grow and would like advice on flushing to reuse it. I'm going to search the internet a bit more but I'm curious about any of methods y'all have used and like.

Hello, I've been reusing the same batch of coco coir for a few years already with great results. I usually do a nice flush before the harvest, then take out most of the roots from the coco after harvest. I water the rest with water and a 2ml/L of Pure Zyme from Plagron (containing enzyme for dead roots to break down) and let the coco in a pot on my balcony for some weeks to decompose the rest of the roots. When I need the coco again I break down (roughly) the remaining roots by hands and use it again. It worked well so far but I would throw it away if I ever have roots fungi/ nematodes or any soil pest

Comment

just flush it thoroughly and it should be fine
      I hope there is an afterlife...there are a lot of friends and family I'd like to see again, one day.

Comment

I run 3 gal fabric bags with coco/perlite in my 4x4 pheno tent.
        Even though these plants are only vegged for a few weeks and then flipped to sex them, they will typically develop a very substantial root ball.
        I have re-used loose material, but most just get composted for the veg garden.
        WHAT???
        5x5 grow space
        900w of Vero's and F-strips
        4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

I should have also noted that I am reusing soil that I bought about 2 years ago. Mixed it this time with some dried root balls from the wheatgrass I grow for my cat. I figure if i ground it up and stuck it in the soil it would act similar to coir as it's essentially just fiber...it also adds a measure of nitrogen to the soil when it breaks down. I like to experiment like this to see what works and what doesn't. so far it's working out fine.
          I hope there is an afterlife...there are a lot of friends and family I'd like to see again, one day.

Comment

I can't fathom throwing coco and perlite out as much of it as I use - it just seems too irresponsible. The best way I've found is to shake it out of the root balls into a plastic tote then move the recovered coco into fabric pots for a good rinsing to get all traces of pH adjusters if any out. I then let it dry in the fabric pots for a few days then transfer back to a tote to sit and wait until it is needed. I add worm castings and dry amendments along with some myco for good measure and it's good for another round of growing.
            Coconut Grove
            4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Liberty Haze, Acapulco Gold, Lavender and Sweet Amnesia Haze.

3x3 tent, Platinum P300 LED. Flowering two Tangies.

Flower tent:
            4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Super Lemon Haze, Durban Poison and two Tangie x Blueberry crosses.

Nursery:
            32"x32" tent with Feit white LED. Vegging four Mother's Finest.

Coco/Perlite/worm castings/mycorrhizae living soil mix.
            Down-To-Earth dry amendments. Gnarly Barley added weekly. Eisenia fetida.

On deck: Winter indicas.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X