'Marigolds' and hollow stems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Marigolds' and hollow stems

Some y'all's Freak Show pictures look a lot like the 'marigolds' I'm growing so I thought I'd ask y'all.
    I'm a pincher for supercropping. Not to bend, just thicken stems. When I was pinching 'M', I noticed the bud stems are hollow. Any y'all notice that?
    I've been dab-googling about hollow stems and determined there is definitely no answer for hollow stems being good or bad. It's a strain thing. My other 5 plants have real thick and sturdy stems. 'M's stems are thin and hollow. Same nutes and watering.
    I've pinched everything bud related. I might understand that the pith of the stem carries moisture while the walls carry nutrients. Underwatered plants can lose the pith. We'll see what happens.
    Before that last dab really takes hold. healed stems should start carrying more nutes? More water will bring back the pith? How wet did you keep your FS?
    More elephant!

Coco/perlite
    3x3x6
    Nutes
    CalMag

I think almost all of mine have been hollow so I don’t think it is a negative. Even the 13 footer this summer was hollow.

dab-googling, lol. That one is going to catch on!

Comment

• Gingerbeard
      Gingerbeard commented
      Editing a comment
      Does that mean I'll be a trend setter?

• TOKABIGONE
      TOKABIGONE commented
      Editing a comment
      Gingerbeard You have been a trend setter since you came here...just because no one follows doesn't mean it's not a trend??

TOKABIGONE Mandudebro! That warms my heart. I feel like someone's paying attention.
    More elephant!

Coco/perlite
    3x3x6
    Nutes
    CalMag

Comment

I want to start a new thread about this next bit. What d' y'all think.

M got a gallon of water at the same time as the G-13 and they have been no more than 6" away from each other in the meantime. M feels like she has a couple days before another watering. G-13 will need water tomorrow.
      M has the hollow stems: no pith. G-13 has solid stems.
      Could it be that hollow stems need less water than solid stems because they use less than solid stems? If so, would hollow stem plants need more or less nutrients because they aren't getting absorbed as fast?
      Could the hollow stems be a trait of a strain as to it's 'natural' environment? Like Sativa vs Indica growing conditions?
      Are Sativas more likely to have hollow stems than Indicas?

I know root ball and plant size make a difference. This is only about stems.
      More elephant!

Coco/perlite
      3x3x6
      Nutes
      CalMag

Comment

Interesting theory on the stems vs water intake. I have two side by side that have very different water needs. I’ll report my findings when I chop. I had one I just took down that had hollow stems and it typically took a little longer to dry out.

On the hollow stems, I thought I read somewhere it could be a sign of magnesium deficiency (typically paired with red stems and yellow leaves).
        Thoughts?

bd

Comment

Ever hear of a carbon deficiency? That's one of those 'things I read somewhere' bdeegan . Same-same with red/purple stems: light, nutes, genetics.
          DeadlyFruit Your hollow stem plants. Sativa or Indica?
          More elephant!

Coco/perlite
          3x3x6
          Nutes
          CalMag

Comment

• DeadlyFruit
            DeadlyFruit commented
            Editing a comment
            I don’t think I have ever grown any true landrace and most of what is out there leans toward hybrid indica I think that is likely what mine were although I’d have to look through my grow documentation to be sure. After this summers big harvest I was thinking of growing something smaller yielding but fun like dr grinspoon from Barney’s farm or something similar - a landrace saliva.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210529_035627003~2.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	1.78 MB
ID:	548143 I found a way to combat the stretch that's kinda like supercropping maybe just a tiny bit more extreme than the usual method but did what I wanted it to do

Comment

I'm convinced M uses less water than Sister G-13. Whether hollow stems or a strain thing. Two waterings since first post. M has been heavier than Sister.
            More elephant!

Coco/perlite
            3x3x6
            Nutes
            CalMag

Comment

Both above mentioned plants have been chopped and both had hollow stems. Not much of a difference between the two either as far as “how” hollow they were. Both were autos hybrids one indica leaning and one sativa. Anyway just thought I’d report my findings.

happy growing!

Comment

I would assume a pith stemmed plant would hold more water that the hollow one. I have two plants now with hard solid stems and they are slow with the water use.

Does calcium have any effect on the pith? My plants get plenty of calcium.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X