Nutrients

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nutrients

My soil/dirt, I believe is played out and I am trying to bring it back to life. I have been composting all my greens in dirt and I was wondering about egg shells for calcium in the soil

Adding compost to your soil is a great way to rejuvenate tired soil. Egg shells are a great addition but take months to break down enough to be used as a nutrient your plants can absorb. You're probably better off with the addition of lime to your soil. Also try adding some coarse sand to your mixture. Adds lots of minerals and aids in soil drainage. Worm castings will really accelerate the composting process as well.

Comment

Try about a cup each of oyster shell and/or crab meal per cf of your mix. They will do more for your compost than egg shells and ready to go out of the package.
      Grow # 3 50/50 S/I Critical Mass photo fem
      Seeds drop in water 1/8/2022

Medium: FF Coco Loco plus 30% Perlite in 7 gal cloth bags
      Space: 30x48x62 DIY cabinet lined w/space blankets
      Lighting: Bloomspect SS1000 Quantum board x 3 - 300 watts actual draw
      Soil Supplements: Worm Castings, Crab Shell, Oyster Shell, Neem and Karanja Meal, Volcanic Basalt Dust (for minerals), Recharge root micros. Grow 3 is with reconstituted super soil to which I've added several additional minerals and supplements. A more complete list based on Cackamas Coots super soil recipe can be found in my Auto Toka thread
      i don't grow plants anymore, I grow soil that my plants can thrive in!
      My filtered tap water runs over 7.5 pH but the soil microbes
      make pH correction unnecessary
      Ventilation: Vipospar 4" Exhaust Fan w/RH controller, 12" Carbon Scrubber
      8" bottom intake fan, 6" clip on fan, 6" heater as needed
      Cabinet on screen porch. N AZ @ 4000 ft.

My salute to all who have served
      Semper Fidelis!

Comment

if you have a liquid good nutrient mix, the soil doesn't need anything added. You can technically reuse soil over and over in grows as long as you thoroughly flush it with plain water after each grow. It's kind of like using Coir. Coir allows you to know exactly how much nutrients you give your plant from the start and it dries out quicker.
        I hope there is an afterlife...there are a lot of friends and family I'd like to see again, one day.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X