Fake Seeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fake Seeds

You look at the seeds offered by ILGM or Seedsman or Crop King and so many, if not all, are fakes.

Yeah it's true you may have bought seeds from them and they may have turned out well but that doesn't mean they aren't fakes. For example, "Bruce Banner" is a clone only cut, it is owned by Darkhorse Genetics. If the "Bruce Banner" you have isn't from Dark Horse it's fake. That includes "Bruce Banger" from Seedsman or even "Hulkberry" from Royal Crown Seeds.

Comment

• PeterMatanzas
      PeterMatanzas commented
      Editing a comment
      This may be an unpopular opinion but there is no way in the world another breeder has the Bruce Banner genetics. Same goes for strains like Blueberry (owned by DJ Short), Cherry Pie, Ghost OG - they are clone only originals. Someone may have closely copied the genetics but that doesn't mean they aren't fake. EDIT: if the breeder got a clone cut from Dark Horse then they can say they have the genetics but he doesn't give out clones.
      Last edited by PeterMatanzas; 10-03-2021, 02:13 PM.

• PeterMatanzas
      PeterMatanzas commented
      Editing a comment
      Here is one of the worst : https://anesiaseeds.com/

This breeder appears out of nowhere, says they've been in business for years but nobody has heard of them, and they offer dozens and dozens of strains that are cut only. On top of that this breeder often advertises their seeds at +35% THC - what a lot of horseshit that is

Do the same people operate these websites?

NS lookup on seedsman, ILGM, maryjanesgarden, anesiaseeds

C:\Users\peter>nslookup maryjanesgarden.com
    Server: dns-cac-lb-03.rr.com
    Address: 209.18.47.63

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name: maryjanesgarden.com
    Addresses: 2606:4700:3037::6815:c63
    2606:4700:3035::ac43:9814
    ---------------------------------------
    C:\Users\peter>nslookup seedsman.com

Name: seedsman.com
    Addresses: 2606:4700:10::6816:1eb
    2606:4700:10::ac43:944
    2606:4700:10::6816:eb
    C:\Users\peter>nslookup ilgm.com

Name: ilgm.com
    Addresses: 2606:4700:20::681a:9bd
    2606:4700:20::ac43:48ec
    2606:4700:20::681a:8bd
    C:\Users\peter>nslookup anesiaseeds.com

Name: anesiaseeds.com
    Addresses: 2606:4700:10::6816:4768
    2606:4700:10::6816:4668
    2606:4700:10::ac43:a83

Comment

• PeterMatanzas
      PeterMatanzas commented
      Editing a comment
      some of them are certainly hosted in the same building, doesn't mean they're the same people though, but this looks fishy

I deal with sensible seeds, they deal with different breeders. To be honest I never liked ILGM, anyways their seeds are unbranded.

Comment

• PeterMatanzas
      PeterMatanzas commented
      Editing a comment
      yes you are right, they are unbranded, also known as "white label" seeds

They could be using the same webhosting service. I'm not an expert, though. I've grown quite a few ILGM varieties but haven't had the chance to compare the produce from them to the "originals". Their Bruce Banner seems to grow out per its description with the expected effects when smoked. The only other copycat company's seeds I've grown were freebies. I did get a bit leery about genetics and started ordering from the original breeders when possible. I was forced to go with Dutch Passion's Blueberry because DJ Short's has been sold out for what seems like two years now (but it probably hasn't really been that long). Still, they were the most official providers of those seeds until DJ started his own shop. Also, the Blueberry I produced from their seeds is astounding in its quality. I do have three free Blueberry fem freebies I can try out next time I start a round of seeds for bud production and see how it compares. I even have one from Canuk coming that I could try alongside the Seedsman freebies.

I suppose any breeder who does get their hands on a true clone-only cutting could easily produce their own feminized seeds or cross with a very similar strain's pollen then triple backcross with the original to produce some stable regs. I've got a pretty fair collection of homemade regs (straight and hybrid) that I'll be sprouting next year. I'll be able to see how true the crosses breed then. Some of these varieties out there aren't clone-only but F1-only such as 24K Gold. I intended to cross a Kosher Kush with Tangie pollen last grow for some homemade 24K Gold seeds, but the timelines got out of whack and I tried crossing it with Blueberry instead.

I know what you mean about the other breeders you mentioned. I'd rather know for sure that what I'm paying for is what I'll be getting when I spend my money for a particular set of genetics.
    Coconut Grove
    4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Liberty Haze, Acapulco Gold, Lavender and Sweet Amnesia Haze.

3x3 tent, Platinum P300 LED. Flowering two Tangies.

Flower tent:
    4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Super Lemon Haze, Durban Poison and two Tangie x Blueberry crosses.

Nursery:
    32"x32" tent with Feit white LED. Vegging four Mother's Finest.

Coco/Perlite/worm castings/mycorrhizae living soil mix.
    Down-To-Earth dry amendments. Gnarly Barley added weekly. Eisenia fetida.

On deck: Winter indicas.

Comment

• UndergroundFarmer
      UndergroundFarmer commented
      Editing a comment
      I've grown Seedsman BB before but that grow was so effed up (by me) that I don't consider it a fair comparison. Still, what I harvested from it didn't much resemble what I sampled yesterday. I could more easily see these seeds of clone-only varieties as more likely to be counterfeit since damn few home growers have firsthand experience with the real thing.

• Ace1973
      Ace1973 commented
      Editing a comment
      There is truth in experience, I got a hold of some DJ's about 4 years ago, not the same as ILGM, of course maybe ILGM sources seeds from other growers?
      Last edited by Ace1973; 10-03-2021, 05:53 PM.

• PeterMatanzas
      PeterMatanzas commented
      Editing a comment
      JD Short is saying the only other breeder that got a clone of his father's Blueberry was Dutch Passion Seeds but that was when the strain first went on sale. He doesn't know what the status of Dutch Passion Blueberry, they no longer have a partnership. I just looked and Dutch Passion is selling a Blueberry.

MSNL sent my seeds in little ziploc baggies with hand written initials of the strain. A crazy old head I was getting seeds from was giving me %95 germination and two males out of more than 30 plants. He'd been treating some of his plants to produce seeds and had a half gallon ziploc full of different strains. Best seeds I've grown.
    If I grow good bud, I grow good bud. I have my trichome color ratio dialed in on whatever gets grown. Only individual plants are disappointing.
    More elephant!

Coco/perlite
    3x3x6
    Nutes
    CalMag

Comment

Add GDP and GG4 to those fake seeds as both are clone only, yet there is seeds for them all over the place. One of the GDPs was $60 per seed, not me, I'm out.
      I picked up some BB3, then when I wanted more they were no longer on the site so I emailed and ask about them. I was told they cannot sell them any longer, still have the seed (I was told to ask for them as the free seed and got some). I have breed them and made BB4 which is not like the parent, good but the spinal pain relief is not as much.
      And to go along with the seeds being faked, the prices for them are absolutely outrageous, I mean how many seeds can one plant make?
      F1 hybrids anyone can do, so why would I buy them? Take a grow, make your own seeds/strains/hybrids and share with friends.

Comment

• UndergroundFarmer
        Editing a comment
        I'm pretty sure one plant can provide a thousand seeds or more if it's a large one. I've got a number of accidental F1 crosses and some intentional ones. Blueberry Kolache (Kosher Kush x Blueberry) and Tropicana Cookies (GSC x Tangie) are a few of the intentional ones. I've got unintentional Tangie x Blueberry, Purple Haze x Ghost Train Haze, Laughing Buddha x GTH, etc.

• soonboomer
        soonboomer commented
        Editing a comment
        The part I don't understand is that if you cloned a new strain (making it available in clone form only), and gave me a cutting from your mother plant, and I grew it and it happened to make just a few seeds. If I planted those seeds and one happened to be female and grow to the finish, would my clone produce buds with the same characteristics as your mother plant? Once again, I have little to no knowledge in this area.

• Rwise
        Rwise commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, its kindof a crap shoot, a clone is an exact copy of the origanal, seeds are produced by back ground genetics in the DNA. Anything can come forward. I would think the best chance would be doing S1 seed (plant breed with its self), and then the pheno search is on, then seed and search, can be a lot of fun when it works out.

This is one area where I could use some education. Several posters have mentioned "clone only" strains. Last year, I bought (from a dispensary) an ounce of outdoor grown GG4 from a dispensary. In that ounce, I found about 5 seeds. I planted those 5, wound up getting 3 males and 2 females, pulled the males and grew the two females. Wound up getting a good crop of better than average weed. Early this spring, I bought a few clones from a reputable supply store here in town. One of the plants was marked as a Bruce Banner. It's still 10 days or so from being ready, but I've seen that a few of the bud sites on it have seeds too. My question is, are these types of seeds to be avoided>

Comment

• PeterMatanzas
        PeterMatanzas commented
        Editing a comment
        I bring this issue up because it really ticks me off. What if you or I created a strain, called it Fred Flintstone, and somebody else started selling the same name and claiming the same effect?

• UndergroundFarmer
        Editing a comment
        I've got one of my own called Blueberry Kolache that only exits as F1 seeds so far. I started a post about it here as a kind of poor man's copyright.

• Rwise
        Rwise commented
        Editing a comment
        Ya, like my "Wet Teddy Bears" now an F2 auto, I luv the relaxing affect from it (the F1), who else is going to use that name (other than the dude selling soggy bears). One I have here I see many copies of, Greasy Grapes by Exotic Genetics, or did several folks just name theirs the same, IDK.
        I do grow my own seed, and some from others as well, I do prefer knowing how both parents are, else it is just a bag seed. These can do well, or not.

That is a good point about GDP. At one time you could get the original but no more. There is a listing for breeder GDP on oaseeds\.com but out of stock of the original. Why he doesn't make more seeds, there's a reason but IDK. Rwise

Click image for larger version

Name:	gdp.PNG
Views:	341
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	540748

Comment

Compared to the street weed out there, the dispensaries, and ect. . I have found my weed gets me the highest, I do not care if it is the original, as the original maybe all hype, I do care about the buzz and if it lasts more than 3 hours. I love rqs's sour d. the stuff is insanely good, and last's about 4 hours. I really enjoy trying new strains and even ones that might not be what they claim, sure, I would love originals to try out, that scene is exclusive and not in my reach.

Comment

• PeterMatanzas
          PeterMatanzas commented
          Editing a comment
          I am with you on that, the RQS Sour Diesel is excellent. A beautiful shape to the grow, too.

Talk about out of reach, the price of the originals will shrink your wallet alright. I am also happy with my grows, I grew out a Seedsman "Bruce Banger" and it was pretty good. It wasn't original but it was fine. I gave away the rest of the seeds and a guy is growing an outdoor Banger now, he liked the flower I grew and asked for the seeds.

To state the obvious - the cannabis trade is underground and there's no copyright or patent protection. But you can't name a strain "Gorilla Glue" because the adhesive people got angry and sued.

Click image for larger version

Name:	blue.PNG
Views:	333
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	540756

Comment

• UndergroundFarmer
          Editing a comment
          I've only taken the plunge on stuff like that a few times. Brothers Grimm Cinderella 99 regs were a bust. I saved all the ungerminated ones and put them in the fridge for a later attempt to get something to sprout. Rare Dankness Ghost Train Haze was a big success at making seeds but I stupidly didn't put any aside for sinse. DP Blueberry regs were also successful and I honestly can't see how anyone else's Blueberry could be better. That and Crockett's Tangie are among the few I've grown where they didn't just smell sort of like their name, they smell more strongly of blueberries and tangerines than the real thing! I've got some Sensi Northern Lights fems I'm going to grow out on the next round. We'll see how theirs compares to Seedsman NL auto. When you get seeds from well-established banks it usually pays.

• Rwise
          Rwise commented
          Editing a comment
          I understand "out of reach"

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X