Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found a banana and need advise on how to proceed

I need advice from my community.

Yesterday I found a banana on one of my plants. I cut it out but didn't have time to go over the hermied plant or any of the others until today. I was too late to stop the pollenating of my plants. All the plants are about a week to a week and a half away from harvest - at least that's the length of time the parents to these clones took. The hermie has been isolated in another part of the house. It has some nice buds as do the other plants. Since it's away from the other plants, would it be better to wait to harvest when the trichomes are ready or should I harvest now before the seeds take over?

I know that once a plant is pollenated, all energy is focused on making seeds, not buds. Does the plant continue to 'ripen' (will the trichomes still go thru the clear to cloud to amber) even though its priority has switched to seeds? Also, what about the other plants? I've found seeds on about half of them but I'm sure they all will soon. Should I harvest now to avoid a lot of seeds or wait until the trichomes say it's time?

My first fail as a grower. I hope it's not an epic fail.
    I like big buds and I can not lie.

Somango XXL (3 gal)
    Blue Mystic (7 gal)
    VIPARSPECTRA 450W LED Grow Light
    Coco Coir w/30% perlite
    Fox Farms Nutrients plus Cal-Mag Plus

Don't think of it as a fail, think of it as an opportunity to learn.
    Completed auto grows 3

2x4 Gorilla tent
    600W HPS
    Coco
    GH Flora Series trio + Armor Si, CALiMAGic, RapidStart, Liquid KoolBloom, Floralicious Plus, FloraKleen, Diamond Nectar, FloraBlend, FloraNectar (Pineapple Rush version), Dry Koolbloom + Great White mycorrhizae & Terpinator

Grows using this setup: 1
    Largest yield from this setup: 20oz / 567g

Previous grows:
    http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...row-first-grow
    http://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum/...world-of-seeds

Comment

• Dagmar
      Dagmar commented
      Editing a comment
      I love to learn but some lessons are hard. Thanks

[QUOTE=Dagmar;n54023]I need advice from my community.

Yesterday I found a banana on one of my plants. I cut it out but didn't have time to go over the hermied plant or any of the others until today. I was too late to stop the pollenating of my plants. All the plants are about a week to a week and a half away from harvest - at least that's the length of time the parents to these clones took. The hermie has been isolated in another part of the house. It has some nice buds as do the other plants. Since it's away from the other plants, would it be better to wait to harvest when the trichomes are ready or should I harvest now before the seeds take

I would watch the trichromes and let them go till you think it is as you like it. I have nver grown anything but feminized seeds but I have got maybe 15 seeds from 2 dozen grows. Good growing !!
    Focus and relativity.

Comment

• Dagmar
      Dagmar commented
      Editing a comment
      You've found seeds without ever seeing a hermie or banana and had no exposure to a male? Can that happen without pollen or do you think you missed something?

Thans, Eliot.

• Eliot Pryor
      Eliot Pryor commented
      Editing a comment
      I had a Kandy Kush which definitely went hermie. Research showed that strain had a history of going hermie. I pulled that one. I had another seed so I tried again. That time the plant grew to finish with excellent buds. Amongst about 2 oz. of excelent smoke I found several seeds. I cloned that one and the clone produced great and had 3 or 4 seeds out of a good crop. I grew two of the seeds, they were pure no seeds. Besides that one I have 4 seeds that I found in some Acapulco Gold I grew. Those showed no signn of hermie. I haven't grown one those yet. Good growing to you !!
      couple of ak-47 as well
      Last edited by Eliot Pryor; 02-09-2017, 10:57 AM.

I agree! I would wait until the trichomes are ready, especially since you're so close to harvest and have already separated the hermie. Don't beat yourself up, every grower has had a few seeds and the buds still work great!

Comment

• Dagmar
      Dagmar commented
      Editing a comment
      I think it's the answer I already knew but just needed input from those in the know.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Exactly what they said, ride it out to harvest especially since you are so close to the finish line! Peace and positive vibes!
    Perpetual setup!

Comment

• Dagmar
      Dagmar commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I'm already feeling more positive. And peace to you, my friend.

Keep an eye on things - there may not be as many seeds as you fear, but I think the bottom line is you're way better off just finishing flowering as you normally would. Yes they'll still ripen and finish normally. Unpollinated calyxes (which is probably most of them) should behave like any other unpollinated calyxes. The nanners don't always spread pollen very plentifully.

Comment

• Dagmar
      Dagmar commented
      Editing a comment
      That's good to read! Thanks!

Seeds don't worry me. Should they?

I apologize for this post, it should be a new thread. I have not intention to hijack
    Last edited by Flockshot; 02-09-2017, 09:25 AM. Reason: add appology
    completed 7 grows
    what I have learned so far:
    environment maters more than nutrients
    at least a dab of nutrients in every watering
    effective flushing before harvest is critical to quality

Comment

• NebulaHaze
      NebulaHaze commented
      Editing a comment
      Partly it's just cosmetic. But also it's because flowers which are completely full of seeds won't have nearly as much "good stuff" (calyxes/buds) left after you pick out all the seeds. Growers try to make sure all that energy goes into producing buds instead of seeds. But there's nothing wrong with a few seeds. They won't hurt anything except possibly yields if there's a lot of them

• Dagmar
      Dagmar commented
      Editing a comment
      The worst thing about seeds - back in the 70s, every shirt I owned had seed burns. Today, all you young whipper-snappers don't even know what I'm talking about. (OMG, I sound like my grandparents! )

• Flockshot
      Flockshot commented
      Editing a comment
      When I got back from my all expense paid, one year long vacation in Southeast Asia, complements of my Government, I had he same problem.

I on occasion find a seed in my stash. Think of it like this. If you do find a open banana. It will most likely pollinate only a small area that it sits on, not the entire plant. Plus, it will be a female seed. so save it for emergencies. How many times have you smoked some ass-kicking bud with seeds ?

Comment

• Dagmar
      Dagmar commented
      Editing a comment
      Unfortunately, I had a strong fan blowing on my plants to deter the spider mites that I was attempting to eradicate. It must have spread the pollen around as I have found seeds on all but one of the nine plants.

You guys are awesome! I went into a major panic but I feel so much better. Thank you!
    I like big buds and I can not lie.

Somango XXL (3 gal)
    Blue Mystic (7 gal)
    VIPARSPECTRA 450W LED Grow Light
    Coco Coir w/30% perlite
    Fox Farms Nutrients plus Cal-Mag Plus

Comment

• kingfish
      kingfish commented
      Editing a comment
      could you send a picture of your spider mite (The Borg) investation

• Dagmar
      Dagmar commented
      Editing a comment
      Kingfish, I have trouble getting a decent shot of the buds on my plants with my cheep little camera, no way could I get a shot of the mites. I've had mites in my vegetable garden but I could see them with my eyes. I have to use a jewelers loop to see these guys. I only knew I had mites because of the white spots that showed up on the leaves. They never built webs that I saw. I've see videos where the buds were covered in webs but the plants have to be destroy when it gets that far.

Glad you feel better. You are going to get 'home grown', plus you will be a better grower than you have ever been before.
    completed 7 grows
    what I have learned so far:
    environment maters more than nutrients
    at least a dab of nutrients in every watering
    effective flushing before harvest is critical to quality

Comment

• Dagmar
      Dagmar commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I guess it all amounts to lessons learned.

lol Makes me laugh mentioning the ton of seeds you'd get in a lid during the 70's. Seed would explode and make you think it would your eye out, had to use a bong for safe distance. hahaha

Comment

• Flockshot
      Flockshot commented
      Editing a comment
      I should have planted every one of those seeds. Just like Johnny Appleseed.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X