Soil & Coco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soil & Coco

I'm able to grow 4 plants legally, so I plan to grow two in soil, and two in coco,

I'll be using FoxFarm soil - Foxfarm FX14053 Ocean Forest Plant Garden PH Adjusted 12 Quarts Potting Soil Blend Mix for Containerized Plants
    And for coco - MOTHER EARTH Coco Bale 5 kg, 100% Coconut Coir Fibers.

I understand that the soil already has nutrients in it, and the coco does not. I assume that I will have to add the nutrients from the beginning in the coco, but NOT the soil, which brings me to my question;

How will I know when the soil needs nutrients, I've read that I can measure the PH of my runoff water to see if it's within limits, and adjust the PH accordingly.
    Does that mean if my PH is off, my plants need nutrients?

If not, is there a method to determine if they need to be added.

Thanks

Here's what I've got:

4'x4'x80" Maxsisun tent
    2 - MF2000 Maxsisun 230w LED lights
    3 - 5 gal fabric containers -
    MotherEarth Coco bale 100% coco
    RapidRooter plugs
    390 CFM exhaust fan
    2 - 6" Fans
    1 - 12" Oscillating fan
    Fox Farm Nutrients - Hydroponic Food, Tiger Bloom, Big Bloom
    Cal-Mag
    Current grow - Gelat.OG x 3

Hey OldManGrower . I've been using FF Ocean Forest soil and am changing over to Coco w/perlite. I'm starting with this link. Check out the whole site. It's gold.
    How to Grow Cannabis with Coco Coir | Grow Weed Easy
    More elephant!

Coco/perlite
    3x3x6

Comment

Hello, pick up a bag of perilite for lighter soil with the coco. I mix coco coir, coco peat, perilite and worm casings but you'll learn as you go. I also reuse that soil an refresh it with new worm casings. Weed sprouts don't need much food to get going more about the temp & humidity, small amount of light just to get them above ground. Keep the mix light for good root growth, use lots of perilite to all those soils.
      Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
      indoor/outdoor grower
      1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
      1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
      I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
      Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
      Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
      Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Sorry, forgot to mention I'm getting Espoma PR8 8-Quart Organic Perlite to go in the soil/coco, thanks for the tip on the perlite,
        I will be using 4 - 5 gal fabric containers (16 qts.), so I was going to split the bag 4 ways, 2 qts for each container, along with 14 qts of soil.
        Is that enough?

Here's what I've got:
        4'x4'x80" Maxsisun tent
        4 - 5 gal fabric containers
        FoxFarm Ocean Forest Potting soil
        RapidRooter plugs
        100 CFM exhaust fan
        Here's what I've got:

4'x4'x80" Maxsisun tent
        RapidRooter plugs
        390 CFM exhaust fan
        2 - 6" Fans
        1 - 12" Oscillating fan
        Cal-Mag

Comment

I have used Fox Farm ocean Forrest in the past and it has about a month worth of nutrients in it right out of the bag. The way I check to see if Fox Farm needs more nutrient is to test the ppm and the ph of the runoff water. Take a measurement when you first water and use that as your starting point. I have had FF start at over 2400 ppm. When you runoff water gets down to 500 ppm it’s time to fertilize. Or you can start your seeds in smaller 1 gallon pots and then transplant your plants into 3 or 5 gallon pots filled with fresh Fox farm soil and you may not have to fertilize at all.

I always water with ph balanced water and that will normally take care of any ph problems in Fox Farm.

Comment

O.K., I plan to germinate using the wet paper towel method, start in RapidRooter, transplant to 1 gallon, then to 5 gallon.
            I plan to test the PH of my water every time, I'm getting Up&Down for that.
            I've heard about testing for ppm - Parts per million of Total Dissolved Solids (?)
            I've found some testers on Amazon, links from this site, so I'm good there.

Anyway, I appreciate the tip on the runoff water, I've read some on PPM and how to work with it, so I'll be asking some more questions as soon as my seeds get here...
            ​​​​​​​Thanks,
            Here's what I've got:

4'x4'x80" Maxsisun tent
            RapidRooter plugs
            390 CFM exhaust fan
            2 - 6" Fans
            1 - 12" Oscillating fan
            Cal-Mag

Comment

Here is a good link that talks about using Fox Farm https://youtu.be/AokXRhb7AGM

Comment

Don’t transplant. Germinate then go right to your final pot, way to much stress on auto plant.

Comment

Listen to these guys. SoOrbudgal is right on about worm castings. The more organic you grow, the more "alive" the plants are and they will respond with unreal frost and flavor.
                  Coconut Grove
                  4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Liberty Haze, Acapulco Gold, Lavender and Sweet Amnesia Haze.

3x3 tent, Platinum P300 LED. Flowering two Tangies.

Flower tent:
                  4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Super Lemon Haze, Durban Poison and two Tangie x Blueberry crosses.

Nursery:
                  32"x32" tent with Feit white LED. Vegging four Mother's Finest.

Coco/Perlite/worm castings/mycorrhizae living soil mix.
                  Down-To-Earth dry amendments. Gnarly Barley added weekly. Eisenia fetida.

On deck: Winter indicas.

Comment

O.K., I'm on board with worm castings, so how much would I put in my 5 gallon fabric bags (16 qts), and do you recommend any specific name brand?
                    Thanks
                    Here's what I've got:

4'x4'x80" Maxsisun tent
                    RapidRooter plugs
                    390 CFM exhaust fan
                    2 - 6" Fans
                    1 - 12" Oscillating fan
                    Cal-Mag

Comment

Hey Grumpy, I just mixed a new batch of five 5 gal pots. I used Nature Grow worm castings and extra Harris Premium 8qts Perlite. Mine already had about 25% perlite but I wanted closer to 40% so I added this and it is just right. Were I you I would add 2 bags or 16 qts to your mix. You will need the extra because the castings hold a lot of water. About $20 each on Amazon. My base was Coco Loco which already has some of each but in this case I was going by more is better!
                      Last edited by TOKABIGONE; 09-29-2021, 07:33 AM.
                      Grow # 3 50/50 S/I Critical Mass photo fem
                      Seeds drop in water 1/8/2022

Medium: FF Coco Loco plus 30% Perlite in 7 gal cloth bags
                      Space: 30x48x62 DIY cabinet lined w/space blankets
                      Lighting: Bloomspect SS1000 Quantum board x 3 - 300 watts actual draw
                      Soil Supplements: Worm Castings, Crab Shell, Oyster Shell, Neem and Karanja Meal, Volcanic Basalt Dust (for minerals), Recharge root micros. Grow 3 is with reconstituted super soil to which I've added several additional minerals and supplements. A more complete list based on Cackamas Coots super soil recipe can be found in my Auto Toka thread
                      i don't grow plants anymore, I grow soil that my plants can thrive in!
                      My filtered tap water runs over 7.5 pH but the soil microbes
                      make pH correction unnecessary
                      Ventilation: Vipospar 4" Exhaust Fan w/RH controller, 12" Carbon Scrubber
                      8" bottom intake fan, 6" clip on fan, 6" heater as needed
                      Cabinet on screen porch. N AZ @ 4000 ft.

My salute to all who have served
                      Semper Fidelis!

Comment

Hi, Tokabigone,

Yeah, I've already added a couple of bags of perlite to my next order, but I have a question about cal-mag, I've read a little about it, and from what I read, it's necessary with coco, especially the first couple of weeks. Any input?
                        Thanks
                        Here's what I've got:

4'x4'x80" Maxsisun tent
                        RapidRooter plugs
                        390 CFM exhaust fan
                        2 - 6" Fans
                        1 - 12" Oscillating fan
                        Cal-Mag

Comment

• Catfish22
                          Catfish22 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I use cal-mag 5 ml/gal for the entire grow. It MUST be added in the coco or there will be no nutrient uptake.

Of course this issue is like most, it depends. Did you pre buffer the coco from the bale with Calmag? A reasonable size dose every time throughout the grow will do more good than harm. Coco naturally locks up these elements making them unavailable to plants so extra is generally good.
                        Grow # 3 50/50 S/I Critical Mass photo fem
                        Seeds drop in water 1/8/2022

Medium: FF Coco Loco plus 30% Perlite in 7 gal cloth bags
                        Space: 30x48x62 DIY cabinet lined w/space blankets
                        Lighting: Bloomspect SS1000 Quantum board x 3 - 300 watts actual draw
                        Soil Supplements: Worm Castings, Crab Shell, Oyster Shell, Neem and Karanja Meal, Volcanic Basalt Dust (for minerals), Recharge root micros. Grow 3 is with reconstituted super soil to which I've added several additional minerals and supplements. A more complete list based on Cackamas Coots super soil recipe can be found in my Auto Toka thread
                        i don't grow plants anymore, I grow soil that my plants can thrive in!
                        My filtered tap water runs over 7.5 pH but the soil microbes
                        make pH correction unnecessary
                        Ventilation: Vipospar 4" Exhaust Fan w/RH controller, 12" Carbon Scrubber
                        8" bottom intake fan, 6" clip on fan, 6" heater as needed
                        Cabinet on screen porch. N AZ @ 4000 ft.

My salute to all who have served
                        Semper Fidelis!

Comment

Tokabigone,

I haven't gotten the coco fiber yet, so would you please elaborate as to how/how much cal-mag should I be using - I'm only growing 2 - 5 gal fiber pots with coco, so I don't need to treat the whole bale, but I do need enough for 32 qts of coco.

O.K., here's what I have in my cart...please go over this and give me any recommendations before I place the order. I've got plenty of time to get everything set up since my seeds won't be here for another couple of weeks, so I can make any changes needed.

NatureGrow Earthworm Castings -15LB
                          Bloom City Professional pH Up + Down Control Kit for Optimal Nutrient Uptake (Two 1 Quart Bottles) 64 Total oz
                          Espoma PR8 8-Quart Organic Perlite
                          Botanicare HGC732110 Cal-Mag Plus, A Calcium, Magnesium, And Iron Plant Supplement, Corrects Common Plant Deficiencies, Add To Water Or Use As A Spray, 2-0-0 NPK, Quart
                          FoxFarm FX14050 Big Bloom, Grow Big & Tiger Bloom Liquid Fertilizer Nutrient Trio Hydro-Formula, 3/32-Ounce Bottles
                          Fox Farm FX14049 Liquid Nutrient Trio Soil Formula: Big Bloom, Grow Big, Tiger Bloom (Pack of 3 - 32 oz. bottles)

Just trying to do it right...my "Boss" wants to see a good return on her investment.
                          Thanks to All

Here's what I've got:

4'x4'x80" Maxsisun tent
                          RapidRooter plugs
                          390 CFM exhaust fan
                          2 - 6" Fans
                          1 - 12" Oscillating fan
                          Cal-Mag

Comment

Hey GrumpyOldMan Have you read this: https://www.growweedeasy.com/coco-coir

About the bricks of dry coco. It must be re-hydrated, then drained and rinsed, and fines removed, and sand and rocks removed, then saturated with calmag and drained, and mixed with perlite. What I am getting at is imo it is a royal PITA. I did it once and never again. A 5kg brick took the majority of the day with a lot of heavy lifting. What I am getting at is, get pre-made coco/perlite mix. So much easier to just pour into your pots and saves you time and manual labor that could be better spent elsewhere. Just my $0.02.
                            Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

• Catfish22
                              Catfish22 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              You can get a large bag of mother earth coco and perlite for about 28.00 on Amazon if you watch for sales. It is rinsed and precharged with cal-mag.

Like SoOrbudgal said you can reuse it. I don't do worm castings I charge my initial coco with a 1/8 strength dose of week 1 nutes. Then I use a dose of week 3-4 nutes to pre charge the coco for transplant.

Also as Ckbrew suggested, the coco coir tutorials from NebulaHaze are golden. She is a coco coir freakin Ninja.
                              Last edited by Catfish22; 10-01-2021, 12:24 PM.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                          X