Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Besides preventative measures, to do when it rains mid-late flower outdoor grow.?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Besides preventative measures, to do when it rains mid-late flower outdoor grow.?

My outdoor is looking good, but as a lot of others are in the same drenching rain I'm experiencing now, I can't be the only one who's plants are toppling over, and branches are breaking. Now I have a low hours direct sunlight to begin with, and the plants are y'all and lankier than normal. Buds are between 4 weeks in to some I went ahead and harvested. My question is how best to dry out these outdoor buds that are completely soaked so they don't get over run with mold, and I guess best branch mending method where they break at the node. On another semi related note, can I take broken branches, cut off the bottom like a cutting, put it in a case of water and let mature a few more days? Would it effect the smoke for better or worse?

Not an outdoor grower but others have used box fans. I've used tape then put a plant zip tie around it to hold it together until a node break mends. If you can top a plant and grow it you should be OK with putting it in water, not sure about how much it will mature but I don't see how water would affect the smoke. I could be wrong. Good luck!
    Soil: Coast of Maine Stonington Blend, perlite; Seedlings: CoM org potting soil
    Indoor: 2 x 5.5 x 8' Closet grow
    Viparspectra XS2000; EnjoYield 220W full spectrum light added during flower
    Various size fabric grow bags
    Cal-Mag & GH Trio if needed; Flower Fuel & molasses during bloom; ReCharge
    4 clip fans. Exhaust into attic is vented to the eaves
    Current grow: DEAD FLOWERS

"Joker, smoker & midnight toker, I sure don't want to hurt no one"

Comment

• Fishmiser
      Fishmiser commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I thought I'd put it out there and see if any new (to me) techniques out there. I've labored in some large grows and once was shown/and used myself, a leaf blower to "shake the kolas" so to speak. It seemed ingenious to me at first, but caused a lot more damage to plant than I realized, and still losses to mold were extreme. As for the branches in water, I took some branches because they were close and I wanted them out of the weather (seed branches) So I like to trim them fresh, so I put them in a vase like one would a dozen roses. Idea being to keep em fresh and crisp to trim. I also have a lot of immature broken branches hanging on by just the "skin?" Just below the joint or node. I've seen these ripen to maturity in the past. Some of these there's not enough "skin" to support the branch, and the branch dries up immature. I wondered if with these maybe you could put in water and clay pebbles and how long could one possibly keep it there before total stem melt down into slime. Also, would the buds even mature any more. Would they increase quality? decrease? I guess I got myself a science project. thanks for your input.

Yes you can take the broken branches stick them in water and they will continue on, just be sure to get them into water immediately and don’t change the light cycle. I’ve been experimenting with taking cuttings and have had one group in glasses of water for over a month and they are still going, albeit very slowly, though they are only getting water changes no additional feeding. Interestingly enough they were in full veg when cut and have since switched to flower as their lighting has changed.
    Soil - NFTG, recycled & amended.
    Nutes - NFTG - modified regiment, SLA-100, Photo +, Mammoth
    Veg - 4x4 tent, TSW2000, TSW1000 6”vent
    Flower - 4x4 tent, TS3000W, TSW1000 6”vent
    Dry - 2x4 tent, 6”vent

Comment

I've never heard of doing this? If i can't repair a split at the node or break with tape of garden rubber wire i just treat as low grade weed for canna butter, tag it an bag it.
      Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
      indoor/outdoor grower
      1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
      1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
      I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
      Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
      Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
      Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

I live in the Smokies in N GA, and I've been trying to grow my meds outdoors for the past five years. We rarely see humidity below 60%, so bud rot is always an issue. I've always used stakes or cages for support but rain damage was always a problem.
        This year I built a hoop house for my 3 girls and even though they are dry, with plenty of air movement I still have random bud rot.
        I look at my outdoor grow as a garden project so anything I yield is a bonus.
        WHAT???
        5x5 grow space
        900w of Vero's and F-strips
        4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

I never heard of, or thought of, putting branches in water to continue maturing. I think I may get on board with this little science experiment too! I am also battling mold here in the southeast and have been successful up until now. Harvest day is today, a little earlier than I would have wished but that's the life of a farmer! One tip to share, maybe for next year. When my squash plants get downy mildew on the leaves, I spray them with 9 parts water mixed with 1 part milk. Unlike most sprays, this is done when the sun is shining on your plants. There is a reaction with the protein in the milk and the sunlight that kills the mold. It works on the squash and it seems to have helped with the bud rot too, really kept it at bay until here at the end where it's been raining every afternoon. This is my first grow and now that I know the perils of that ol' bud rot I will be more diligent next year. Also I used a small oscillating fn on my plants to keep air flow on humid days.

Comment

I found that branch lying on the ground after a storm healed right up and when I ripped out males I threw them in the woods In water roots and all a month later i took his pollen and used it on that branch i circled i know there is one seed I saw and it's not getting fat so thinking it worked

Comment

Were getting dumped on again now my plants were sagging big time getting heavy so I tried to tie up to support the branches will see sorry the pics suck I'm pretty soggy

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X