Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOIL Outdoor plant support

Hi all ,
    I’ve been off practicing and learning our craft. I was planning to take the summer off, as it’s a busy season for my business, but along came these two girls.
    They were clones gifted to me by my friend who decided he didn’t want to grow after all. A Lemon meringue pie and a Platinum, they are in super soil in 15 gallon fabric pots. I took them to the roof chasing the sun for flowering, as I live in the forests and direct light is in short supply in the fall.
    My question is what do people like to use for plant support ?
    Up on the roof the wind is quite a bit stronger than on the ground. I have them staked with bamboo and was considering adding a tomato cage this weekend.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated, thank you.
    KIS mix organic living soil from Black Sallow soils in 7gal. pots
    Black Swallow Organic Bloom mix top dress before flower.
    Reusing soil with Black Swallow nutrient pack between grows
    Maybe some compost teas
    Blumat watering system
    Microbial Mass and other microbial boosters(Wallace)
    3x4x6’ tent
    Photontek 465wpro
    6” AC Infinity outdoor air in and out, humidifier, dehumidifier, heater, oscillating fan.
    Inkbird controllers heat/humidity​

Bamboo stakes are good but your sticking them in the dirt - upsetting the roots - and you need lots of support. Wrap a coil of rope (I use jute twine) around your pots few inches or about 1/3 of the way down - put your stakes on the outside of the pot. Then nail a bit of wood on your roof ledge so it can't be blown off the roof. Use rebar if you have it.
    ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
    Mars Hydro
    Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

• Smallgrow
      Smallgrow commented
      Editing a comment
      I like not poking in the roots . I wonder how the rope would work on a fabric pot?

• Canuck147
      Canuck147 commented
      Editing a comment
      Rope works fine on my fabric pots

I could not get away with putting plants on top of the roof, here its simply to hot for them to be up there.
    Good Luck!

Comment

• Smallgrow
      Smallgrow commented
      Editing a comment
      Ya it’s warmer up there as well as windy, but warm for me in the fall is high 60F, so the heat is probably helpful.
      I just can’t help myself to try to give them the best light possible, 3-4 hours a day direct on the ground just ain’t cuttin’ it

• Rwise
      Rwise commented
      Editing a comment
      Gotya, I am still having near 100*F days.

• Smallgrow
      Smallgrow commented
      Editing a comment
      Yikes, I’m not sure which of us to feel sorry for 😎

No way could i stick photos on my flat roof to big an heavy total blow out up there from gust of wind. I've done full auto runs in 1 an 3 gal cont.
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• Smallgrow
      Smallgrow commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes it super inconvenient and windy, and I just about didn’t make it taking them up there a week ago.
      I don’t like not be able to see the girls, but they do have seat belts holding their pots down to the platform , and I check on them regularly

Here's a auto flower grow i did on my flat roof last summer. Only can go auto flowers up there this summer been way too hot early. Kinda miss doing it this year.
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Well the modified tomato cages went up yesterday.
      Thanks Canuck for the outside the pot idea it’s a good one. Wish I had thought of that before poked my girls roots.

These are 4 sided cages, and I bent them to be a bit round instead of square the way they came. I connected only the bottom ring around the pot, to make them flair out at the top like an ice cream cone, and I connected the top ring with some scrape rigid “piano” wire to hold the shape.
      Now I have some nice support and lots of options to add some more.
      KIS mix organic living soil from Black Sallow soils in 7gal. pots
      Black Swallow Organic Bloom mix top dress before flower.
      Reusing soil with Black Swallow nutrient pack between grows
      Maybe some compost teas
      Blumat watering system
      Microbial Mass and other microbial boosters(Wallace)
      3x4x6’ tent
      Photontek 465wpro
      6” AC Infinity outdoor air in and out, humidifier, dehumidifier, heater, oscillating fan.
      Inkbird controllers heat/humidity​

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X