Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OUTDOOR: Brown Hairs a Bit Early & To Defoliate Again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OUTDOOR: Brown Hairs a Bit Early & To Defoliate Again?

So... This is my outdoor grow for the season. Located in Central NY. All 4 plants are rooted in Happy Frog Potting soil. They all receive a top dressing of Happy Frog All Purpose monthly. And now that in flower, are receiving frequent doses of "Flower Fuel" throughout the remainder of this season. I'm looking to push all 4 until late October if the weather allows.

My first question is with the Pineapple Express (First 2 Photos)... Many of the hairs are already turning brown, we're at about week 8 of flower on this one. Checked the trichomes with a digital microscope, majority are still clear. Are we thinking a possible nute burn situation? I flushed it thoroughly with water this morning. Any other ideas/advice?

Next question is with the other 3. Purple Paralysis, OG, and Cindy 99. I did a thorough defoliation at initial flower, again at about week 3/4 and they are all filling back out. Should one go about one more defoliation or let these ride until mid-late October?

Orange pistils are normal halfway through flowering - any leaves you cut off now will not grow back, so be careful what you do.
    ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
    Mars Hydro
    Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

• SeeMattForThat
      SeeMattForThat commented
      Editing a comment
      Got ya. May do one last trim of any leaves lacking trichomes.

I would not recommend to defoliate outdoor plants until day of harvest.

Comment

• SeeMattForThat
      SeeMattForThat commented
      Editing a comment
      Too late for that obviously... However, in my experience this season with stress training and defoliation... I have gained greater yields over the other plant that went untouched.

As mentioned the pistols changing color is normal. Topping training and defoliation is meant for indoor growers. There isn't a grow light available that can come close to matching the sun's nutrition and strength. We top because of our confined grow space and lack of veg time that doesn't allow the plant to reach 12 ft. We train and use defoliation because lights aren't strong enough to penetrate all the way through the plants canopy nor do lights move across the tent hitting every inch of the plants. Outdoors nothing is needed to be done or at least nothing excessive.

Comment

• SeeMattForThat
      SeeMattForThat commented
      Editing a comment
      Appreciate it. I suppose that I just need something to tend to... I have noticed an increase in production from stress training and defoliation however.

• Jam2dajar
      Jam2dajar commented
      Editing a comment
      Just a wee follow up question on that when if you where doing a indoor grow and your using estimated dates like should be ready in 8-10week in flower or 65-75days flowering time yer at 8weeks your probably further on than you should be when would you cut off your nutes to ger the plant to yellow its leaves would you start to give it just water when 70 percents cloudy or should it already have been on just water whens the right time to start doing this for best results??? No one seems to answer this and ave been trying tofind out for ages now

• GroBuddy
      GroBuddy commented
      Editing a comment
      You can't really go by estimated times. The breeders or googles estimated flower time is always a couple to several weeks off. That's a high selling point on seeds, you know if they list a shorter flower time than others. I haven't grown a photo period or autoflower that's done in under 12 weeks. You just have to grow, as with almost every aspect of growing cannabis with experience comes an understanding of what's going on. By looking at the bud and trichomes you can guesstimate how long you have left. First few times it's just a hit and miss guess. After that you'll be able to pin point when you are about 2 weeks out and can cut back or stop nutrients. Nothing wrong with feeding until harvest, relax don't sweat it. It'll come more naturally with each grow

I only grow outside I defoliate alot 2 pictures r from a week ago and I defoliated twice since than and 2 I took tonight sorry I didn't label but more fan leaves in last week's pics I do like a 3rd of the plant at a time I like to get sun on buds I think it makes them bigger and I have alot of milky trics I'm about 200 miles south of u

Comment

• SeeMattForThat
      SeeMattForThat commented
      Editing a comment
      Cool. And I agree. I have a couple plants in a separate garden that went untouched... They are 8 footers, which is impressive to see of course, but the bud status is about half. With stress training and defoliation.... I've accumulated bud sites everywhere and looking frosty AF.

I'm also an outdoor guy, and I defoliate quite a bit mostly for air circulation. My biggest enemies are worms and bud rot. Conditions here are right for both as summer turns to fall.

Comment

• SeeMattForThat
      SeeMattForThat commented
      Editing a comment
      Haven't experienced any bud rot myself the past two years... Fingers crossed. I do try to shake the plants off after any rain.

Ya bud worms, and this year add hemp borers along with the bud rot and WPM, I too defoliate for air flow, and remove under growth that will never make a bud.

Comment

• SeeMattForThat
      SeeMattForThat commented
      Editing a comment
      Pretty much exactly what I've been doing.

Yes i do defoliate all through my outdoor grow as i see WPM or yellowing leaf and all small stuff not worth a " pipe full ". Yesterday i found a catipillar worm inside a bud that appeared gray/brown. Some pistels are beginning to turn brown on tips, lots of resin production going on. Cooler mornings, dew an fog creates prime enviornment for bad issues. So yes i do remove alot of unneccesary airflow. I really think it helps in high humidity, rainy cool areas.
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• SeeMattForThat
      SeeMattForThat commented
      Editing a comment
      Cool. I will continue with me tactics. Those look sweet.

Took a couple pictures just cause it is so nice today one is gelato and the tall one is gg my 2 gg's just started blooming about 10 days ago gelato started like a month ago and my seed started the end of July . Blue skies that's what it looks like its been awhile

Comment

• SeeMattForThat
      SeeMattForThat commented
      Editing a comment
      Damn. Looks so tasty.

Nice here too. Hot and breezy, but the humidity has been very low for this time of year. Here's my biggest plant, a black widow clone that's now pushing 7 feet and is covered with well spaced, stinky buds. Would really like to get this one to the finish line.

Comment

• SeeMattForThat
      SeeMattForThat commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow... That's gonna be a nice stinky closet.

• soonboomer
      soonboomer commented
      Editing a comment
      It's in my backyard. Love the smell!

• SeeMattForThat
      SeeMattForThat commented
      Editing a comment
      Same. Can smell mine out in the road lol.

I cover my outdoor plants and at night and when it’s going to rain here in the northeast! I don’t let any dew or rain get on my budding plants, I also defoliate my plants..

Comment

• SeeMattForThat
      SeeMattForThat commented
      Editing a comment
      What are you covering them with? May have to follow suit.

Here is a Ariel pic of my seed tops are starting to turn purple I think I'm going to need more jars lol if that's the only thing I have to worry about ill be doing good just found a inch worm on her

Comment

SeeMattForThat i use a ez-up canopy it only has a 8ft center but it will fit 4 good size plants under it
      Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
      indoor/outdoor grower
      1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
      1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
      I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
      Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
      Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
      Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X