Decarboxylation on a pellet grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decarboxylation on a pellet grill

My wife brought up a novel idea. Normally I would use my toaster oven out on the deck to decarb my weed prior to making edibles. Her idea was to put it on our pellet grill where I can regulate the temperature and more or less have "smoked" weed. Has anyone out there ever tried this? Any comments positive or negative would be welcome.
    Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
    5 gallon cloth pots
    30"x30"x60" tent
    Spider Farmer SE3000
    Coco Pearlite mix
    GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Haven’t done it as I’m always looking for the most neutral flavor to allow the most possibilities for infusion, that said if I was looking to infuse bbq sauce or glaze I would think smoked herb might be doable. Personally I would stay neutral and use liquid smoke in the recipe
    Soil - NFTG, recycled & amended.
    Nutes - NFTG - modified regiment, SLA-100, Photo +, Mammoth
    Veg - 4x4 tent, TSW2000, TSW1000 6”vent
    Flower - 4x4 tent, TS3000W, TSW1000 6”vent
    Dry - 2x4 tent, 6”vent

Comment

Smoked weed. Never heard of it but sounds interesting. For edibles I presume? Sounds like something that is either very good or very bad, no in between. Let us know how it goes.
      Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

As much as I want to balk at the idea of smoking weed to decarb, why not cheese dip with hickory smoked RSO? Get a nice Liquid Smoke terp profile going. Do it.
        More elephant!

Coco/perlite
        3x3x6

Comment

• Gingerbeard
          Gingerbeard commented
          Editing a comment
          Velveeta and Ro*Tel.

• Ckbrew
          Ckbrew commented
          Editing a comment
          Don't forget my favorite- Nutella.

• Gingerbeard
          Gingerbeard commented
          Editing a comment
          I never forget Nutella. First ate it in a hostel in Germany with my parents while we watched military convoys cruise down the autobahn. Crazy memories. Haven't thought about that for a very long time.

I like the idea. As long as you didn’t add wood for smoke it’s just heat. Anyway to decarb without stinking up the house is worth a shot

Tell who the city folks are by the comments btw 😂

Comment

• OldManGrower
          OldManGrower commented
          Editing a comment
          A pellet grill burns wood for heat. Everything gets smoked in the process.

• bboyfromwayback
          bboyfromwayback commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh yea, I’m aware. I thought you meant just using it the grill for the heat so you don’t stink up the house but looks like you’re talking about smoking it while decarbs. Unless the smoke messed with the chemical process of the decarb it shouldn’t hurt, just make anything you make taste like it was smoked I’d imagine. Only one way to find out

I guess I take it different, so just to be clear, OldManGrower you do mean to keep it inside a container and not actually "smoke" the weed, yes?
        Now I have thought of doing BBQ over trunks and logs from nice big plants. Munchies that give you the munchies.

Comment

• bboyfromwayback
          Editing a comment
          I’m of the same mindset, if we’re taking about covering your weed and using the grill as a heat source then it’s just that. Now if we’re leaving it uncovered and throwing a chunk of hickory or cherry wood on there that weed sounds ready for some bbq sauce

• OldManGrower
          OldManGrower commented
          Editing a comment
          It would be on a BBQ mat in the grill, not in a container.

I decarb in a one quart mason jar with the lid on tight. No smell, no loss of terpenes, no problem.

Remember accurate heat control is the secret to good decarb, can you really rely on the temp in your grill?
        My goal is epicurean quality rather than high yield.
        I'm learning how to create cannabis tinctures and hashish and I almost always use a vaporizer to spare my aging lungs.
        Despite my avatar name I'm generally amenable and helpful. So, if there's a question I'm qualified to answer, hit me up!

-Grouchy

Comment

• Ckbrew
          Ckbrew commented
          Editing a comment
          I have been thinking of trying this. What temp and for how long do you run it? Any correction for the mass of the glass?

• bboyfromwayback
          Editing a comment
          I’ll have to try this. My magic butter machine came with their decarb box. It’s effective but definitely not smell proof

• DeadlyFruit
          DeadlyFruit commented
          Editing a comment
          I also decarb in sealed mason jars. To decarb it is basically the same time and temp as any other method.

I’ve also decarbed on my grill to avoid stinking up the house (even a sealed jar isn’t perfectly smellproof). The trick is offset heat (only light a burner on one side and have the jars all the way over to the other side). You also need to let it run for a bit while you fidget with the gas to get it stable on the desired temp. Finally, remember that there is a big heat variance in the different parts of your grill and the bbq thermometer that is built in may be off by quite a bit as a result so I use a meat thermometer where I have my jars for accurate measurement.

Ckbrew, I use 240 degrees for 40 minutes in a sealed mason jar regardless of how much herb is in there.

As I'm sure you know, decarb temps and times are a compromise and many different combos seem to work so I just stick with my program since it seems to do the trick. The attached chart shows other options.

One tip is to let the jar cool completely before opening the lid or the terpenes you preserved will be lost. I think they are volatile enough to be released at those temps, then reabsorbed when cooled. Dunno if that's really what's happening but I did notice a difference when I popped the lid too soon.
        My goal is epicurean quality rather than high yield.
        I'm learning how to create cannabis tinctures and hashish and I almost always use a vaporizer to spare my aging lungs.
        Despite my avatar name I'm generally amenable and helpful. So, if there's a question I'm qualified to answer, hit me up!

-Grouchy

Comment

• DeadlyFruit
          DeadlyFruit commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree with grouchy on all points.

I read an article from someone who decarbs his finished RSO/tincture rather than his bud so that there is less terpene degradation and no toasted flavour. He does it in a sealed jar in a secure lab oven (if I remember correctly) in case the jar ever ruptures and the ethanol flashes. While I am not sure I will ever try it I don’t think it would be any more dangerous than usual if done outside away from anything that could catch fire (including yourself). Maybe on an electric hot plate under a closed grill lid. I know there is a lot of fear about fires with ethanol (probably for good reasons in many cases) but given my family lights up warmed brandy multiple times a year on different foods and drinks (eg Xmas pudding) I am not as afraid of it as I probably should be 🙂 (do at your own risk - I officially advise not to even if I don’t feel overly nervous about it myself).

• Ckbrew
          Ckbrew commented
          Editing a comment
          Decarbing the oil when the ethanol has been removed is one way to do it. Putting ethanol laden tincture in a sealed jar and heating it is nothing short of making a bomb. One of the primary rules of lab safety is never heat a closed system.

• DeadlyFruit
          DeadlyFruit commented
          Editing a comment
          Probably for the best

OldManGrower Did you do it? How did it turn out? The issue I see is if you get it to hot you would loose THC being open.

Comment

• OldManGrower
          OldManGrower commented
          Editing a comment
          Not yet. Most likely this weekend.

Originally posted by OldManGrower View Post
        My wife brought up a novel idea. Normally I would use my toaster oven out on the deck to decarb my weed prior to making edibles. Her idea was to put it on our this pellet grill where I can regulate the temperature and more or less have "smoked" weed. Has anyone out there ever tried this? Any comments positive or negative would be welcome.
        It seems to be a cool idea! So it's been a long time since your post, and I'm really interested in the result!

Comment

• OldManGrower
          OldManGrower commented
          Editing a comment
          Worked Great! Put the weed into a ball jar, seal tightly and bake.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X