Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone store dried buds in ziplock freezer bags?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone store dried buds in ziplock freezer bags?

I grow for extracts mainly. I keep smoke buds in jars but I've been keeping my extract buds in ziplock freezer bags to free up jars. Is this a bad idea? I can't tell if it affects flavor or smell, or maybe the plastic leaches...?

how about curing in bags?
    Last edited by Cronk; 08-31-2021, 02:55 PM.
    complete beginner
    39" x 39" x 78" tent
    315 Watt CMH
    4" Phat Filter w/ 4" Hurricane duct fan
    Automatic top feed into coco.
    Mega Crop nutes

When I was a younger man the only way I got weed was in plastic baggies. That being said, it's probably the worst way possible to store fresh bud other than wrapping it in a paper towel. It may be a good way to keep a sandwich edible for a single day but it's a poor substitute for a glass jar or other airtight container stored in a cool dark environment. My suggestion is to bite the bullet and get more jars. We expend a lot of time, effort, and money into our grows so it only makes sense to cure and store it accordingly. Growing is only 50% of the process. Often times drying and curing can mean the difference between so-so and epic bud. Once a plant is harvested, the process of development doesn't end. Just my 2 cents -

Comment

I leave mine in jars until the next batch is ready to cure. Foodsaver vacume sealer bags keeps bud good for a long time. I don't have enough room to store a bunch of jars. Ziplocs are a not airtight.
      DIY 4x12 Farmacy box w/2 4x4x6 grow areas
      TrolMaster HydroX runs the whole show
      Dual tank Co2 injection w/ rain tubing
      10000 btu thru the wall A/C / 5000 btu heater
      50 pint dehumidifier/ cool mist humidifier
      8" intake fan w/ hepa filter / 8" exhaust fan
      2 Timber Fatty-vs COB 950 watt draw fixtures
      w/ added 4 2ft T5 Pure UV bulbs on each fix.
      2 DIY Hybrid DWC 5 gal bubble bucket systems w/ 55 gal reservoirs w/ PH dosers
      2 2"x2"cyl.stones in each bucket, 8"disk in reservoirs
      GH Flora series (entire line) + Orca
      Grow 3 = Blueberry 1 dwc 1 soil.
      . Cherry pie 1 dwc 1 soil
      Soil is great lakes "just add water" in 7 gal fabric bags

Comment

There was/is a thread on plastic bags to cure in, those that were trying them seemed to like them. I wonder what they think of them now?
        I have had a hard time finding new rings and lids for my qt jars, found some and bought all they had.
        PS Target has had (not a lot at a time) wide mouth qt jars for less money than anyone else here by 2-4 bucks each 12 pack.

Comment

• GreenState
          GreenState commented
          Editing a comment
          Second hand/thrift shops are a good place to look for jars as well. Pretty much $1.00/jar around here.
          I have a ton of the old clamp type up in my garage, but really never trust the seal.

• Rwise
          Rwise commented
          Editing a comment
          Buck each is high in my area, I get new with lids for that.
          I would luv to have latch top jars (and new seals).

It's not the money, Walmart has great deals, it's the space, really. just looking for an different way. I gave away my foodsaver, I never had a use for it......Damn.
        thanks for all the input
        complete beginner
        39" x 39" x 78" tent
        315 Watt CMH
        4" Phat Filter w/ 4" Hurricane duct fan
        Automatic top feed into coco.
        Mega Crop nutes

Comment

• Rwise
          Rwise commented
          Editing a comment
          I almost did that too.

In videos I saw someone in Cali, their shed was of 5 gallon plastic buckets with lids, stacked to the ceiling, full of beautiful manicured buds. They were showing how they make RSO, extracting outside.
        Soil: Coast of Maine Stonington Blend, perlite; Seedlings: CoM org potting soil
        Indoor: 2 x 5.5 x 8' Closet grow
        Viparspectra XS2000; EnjoYield 220W full spectrum light added during flower
        Various size fabric grow bags
        Cal-Mag & GH Trio if needed; Flower Fuel & molasses during bloom; ReCharge
        4 clip fans. Exhaust into attic is vented to the eaves
        Current grow: DEAD FLOWERS

"Joker, smoker & midnight toker, I sure don't want to hurt no one"

Comment

If you grow top shelf weed you use quality container such as Mason jar. If you grow schwag weed you use ziplock bag.
          Light: Viparspectra P2000, Viparspectra P1500, Viparspectra XS2000, KingLed 1500
          Medium: organic, Fafard perlite, Fafard Urban Garden organic mix, Organic compost shrimps.
          Nutrients: Alaskan Fish, Advanced Nutrients Big Bud, Advanced Nutrients Ancient Earth, Advanced Nutrients Sensi Cal Mag Xtra
          Full auto grow
          Grow room : 8X12X10, 2 industrial fans, 1 dehumidifier, 1 Vivosun carbon filter & controller
          12 Wild Thailand Ryder from WOS

Comment

The best deal I found on large mason jars is: https://www.uline.com/BL_8192/Ball-G...rds=Mason+Jars

Delivered to your door.
            Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

Ball jars at Walmart were $11/case back in June. 16 oz wide mouth.

Comment

• Ckbrew
                Ckbrew commented
                Editing a comment
                I need a 64 wide.

I’ve started using the amber coloured wide mouth ball jars with one piece plastic storage lids (sold separately). The jars are more expensive than clear ones but I like that they filter light. The one piece storage lids are useful because it saves me from having to find both pieces of a regular lid (have no idea where the pieces keep hiding themselves) and the rust that seems to start on the rings after the first time they are washed.

Comment

Ckbrew Here are some one gallon square jars. I wish they were full of weed. Cost Plus World Market, bought during Cyber Monday free shipping time. Click image for larger version

Name:	Jars.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	697.4 KB
ID:	534290
                Soil: Coast of Maine Stonington Blend, perlite; Seedlings: CoM org potting soil
                Indoor: 2 x 5.5 x 8' Closet grow
                Viparspectra XS2000; EnjoYield 220W full spectrum light added during flower
                Various size fabric grow bags
                Cal-Mag & GH Trio if needed; Flower Fuel & molasses during bloom; ReCharge
                4 clip fans. Exhaust into attic is vented to the eaves
                Current grow: DEAD FLOWERS

"Joker, smoker & midnight toker, I sure don't want to hurt no one"

Comment

I have gone from plant to freezer without the drying process and I have no ill effects.

Comment

• DeadlyFruit
                    DeadlyFruit commented
                    Editing a comment
                    In the past I have bagged and froze trim straight from the plants and noticed no problems with the resulting edibles, although these days I usually dry and cure (and decarb) it first because the end product is better. I’ve never frozen bud that I didn’t intend to use for RSO or edibles so I can’t comment on its suitability for smoking afterwards.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X