Curing-Luxury or Necessity for RSO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Curing-Luxury or Necessity for RSO?

All of this batch is going to make RSO. No smoking, no vaping, just RSO.
    That being said, is the typical curing process as outlined in GWE necessary if it will all be processed at once into RSO?
    Thanks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BAAC6CD4-217E-4D4B-9C55-52127ED84E21.jpeg
Views:	276
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	531094

Hey Rodney1 . I'm going to come at this as a fan of live resin. I use live resin because it's about the cleanest thing I can use and because it has the most 'stuff' in it. Were I to make... uh... use cured resin, I would have a different product with different levels of 'stuff'.
    As a dabber, I know different temperatures produce different effects. Your answer might come in research on what you're looking for in your extract and how you plan to use it.
    Last edited by Gingerbeard; 08-15-2021, 06:54 PM.
    More elephant!

Coco/perlite
    3x3x6

Comment

• Gingerbeard
      Gingerbeard commented
      Editing a comment
      That's a suuuuuper short answer.

The shortest answer is yes. To make RSO as RS made it, it must be cured.
      Last edited by Gingerbeard; 08-15-2021, 07:13 PM.

I cure my stuff before making RSO - I use the term ‘making’ loosely as I am still working to perfect the process but I think my problem is the strength of ethanol I have available to me. Curing takes out some of the chlorophyll and generally makes for a smoother/better tasting end product. A really cold qwet will also help with that.

With that said, I can’t see any reason why you couldn’t make RSO with uncured stuff, although I’ve never tried it. You would need a good deal more ethanol to cover it if it is also undried I think. There are people out there who intentionally go from plant to processing without drying/curing because they feel it is more medicinal to use the freshest plant material possible. I personally think it would taste bad and I question whether the dry and cure degrades many of the cannabinoids if done correctly (that is speculation on my part) but I respect why other people might do it this way. The other question is whether you are going to decarb your weed first. If you decarb with heat I think you have a greater chance of degrading the cannabinoids than during a proper dry and cure. If you don’t decarb you will have very little THC, so it kind of depends on what you are using it for. I personally dry, cure and decarb but if you don’t care about the look or taste and want RSO as quickly as possible you might be able to dry and decarb in the same step and skip the jar curing. I wouldn’t do it but I can’t think of a reason why it wouldn’t be possible.

edit : to clarify, as GB said above, it may not exactly be RSO based on the way RS does it but it would essentially be the same end product - cannabis oil.

second edit as I think more about it : based on ‘exactly’ how RS makes his stuff I think a large portion of the world does it a little different already. I am pretty sure RS uses ISO as his solvent whereas most people I know use ethanol.
    Last edited by DeadlyFruit; 08-16-2021, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadlyFruit View Post
    I cure my stuff before making RSO - I use the term ‘making’ loosely as I am still working to perfect the process but I think my problem is the strength of ethanol I have available to me. Curing takes out some of the chlorophyll and generally makes for a smoother/better tasting end product. A really cold qwet will also help with that.

With that said, I can’t see any reason why you couldn’t make RSO with uncured stuff, although I’ve never tried it. You would need a good deal more ethanol to cover it if it is also undried I think. There are people out there who intentionally go from plant to processing without drying/curing because they feel it is more medicinal to use the freshest plant material possible. I personally think it would taste bad and I question whether the dry and cure degrades many of the cannabinoids if done correctly (that is speculation on my part) but I respect why other people might do it this way. The other question is whether you are going to decarb your weed first. If you decarb with heat I think you have a greater chance of degrading the cannabinoids than during a proper dry and cure. If you don’t decarb you will have very little THC, so it kind of depends on what you are using it for. I personally dry, cure and decarb but if you don’t care about the look or taste and want RSO as quickly as possible you might be able to dry and decarb in the same step and skip the jar curing. I wouldn’t do it but I can’t think of a reason why it wouldn’t be possible.

edit : to clarify, as GB said above, it may not exactly be RSO based on the way RS does it but it would essentially be the same end product - cannabis oil.

second edit as I think more about it : based on ‘exactly’ how RS makes his stuff I think a large portion of the world does it a little different already. I am pretty sure RS uses ISO as his solvent whereas most people I know use ethanol.
    I grow it then hand it off to my wife who has the RSO process down really well using a Magic Butter machine and alcohol to extract the bacony cheesy goodness then reduces on the stove at low temp. We definitely decarb first which would probably defeat the whole fresh thing anyway. Re taste, we cut it with coconut oil and put it in gel caps so no issues with taste.
    For alcohol we use this:
    New LOWER Pricing with Federal Tax Included! Certified Organic 190 and 200-Proof Alcohols - Organic Grape Alcohol, Organic Corn Alcohol, Organic Cane Alcohol, Organic Wheat Alcohol. Best for use in herbal extracts, natural perfumes, homeopathic medicines, body care products, alcoholic beverages, bitters, and more.

It’s 190 proof and the price is pretty reasonable, they also have 200 proof corn alcohol if you want to get that last bit of water out of the solvent. Plus it’s organic!
    I’ll prolly end up air drying it pretty thoroughly, skip the Mason jar curing process, and go straight to decarb/extraction.

Comment

• Catfish22
      Catfish22 commented
      Editing a comment
      After decarb I just slow cook mine in coconut oil for caps.

• DeadlyFruit
      DeadlyFruit commented
      Editing a comment
      Let us know how it turns out!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X