Timing my next grow. Opinions please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing my next grow. Opinions please.

I am on course to harvest my current grow by September 1st. I know that within a week I will suffer a very strong attack of ETS (Empty tent syndrome). I grow for a hobby and entertainment more than to obtain product. Of course the only way to demonstrate success in this hobby are by yield, effects and reduction of my own grow errors. I always have much more than I can consume and have developed a large group of faithful friends.

I am trying to decide on the timing of my next grow. We are leaving for a week in early December. If I start a grow right after harvest, it will be in it's 13th week when we leave town. What are my choices? Wait until my return to start a new grow and suffer ETS for three months or start the seeds in a week or so using a fast growth bud and hope I can get a harvest prior to leaving town. I was planning on planting 2 each of Caramelo early version and Sugar Black Rose early version. Both are supposed to have a 45 day flowering period.

PLEASE! I am soliciting as many opinions as possible from experienced indoor growers. What would you do? Start seeds now or wait until December.
    Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
    5 gallon cloth pots
    30"x30"x60" tent
    Spider Farmer SE3000
    Coco Pearlite mix
    GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

It would be very tight. I think you could probably bring in the grow by then if you start on sept 1 (but better still if you can start the seeds right away) but the bigger concern would be trying to monitor the dry and cure for a week fairly soon after harvest when you aren’t home for a week. If you start the seeds right away it might give you that little bit of breathing room to stabilize he harvest in jars and burp them for a couple weeks at least.

You might consider starting later, maybe in late September or early October, rather than earlier and harvest after your return in mid/late December. Give them a good drink before you leave and mix up some nute water in case you can convince a friend to water them once or twice while you are gone.

edit: not sure if you have them but there are sensors that you can check online that will give you the humidity and temp in your grow room as well as graphing it over time. That would help with peace of mind while you are away. You could also get a nanny cam you can check online so you can keep an eye on your grow. Probably not of interest if you are a traditional grower but if you like toys (like I do!) it might be a good excuse to pick a few things up.
    Last edited by DeadlyFruit; 08-04-2021, 11:30 AM.

Comment

• GreenState
      GreenState commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't forget, you have to dry it and attend to the jars for a week plus burping ect. Have to add that to your grow time as well.

ETS is horrible. I'm in the the middle of it right now and it sucks!! If it was me I'd throw them beans in a pot asap and hope for the best.
    5x5 Gorilla tent
    Spectrum King SK402 - 2× Optic XL1
    Infinity T8 exhaust fan
    Technaflora nutes
    Nectar of the Gods soil

Comment

• PLreef
      PLreef commented
      Editing a comment
      Do you have any trusted friends that could potentially tent to your crop while your on vacation?

One word: Autos.
    A Legend...in his own mind - , 48" X 60" X 80" 2-in-1 Grow Tent, Flower light: Vivaspectra P2500 LED. Veg light: Mars Hydro TS600 & Mars Hydro TS1000 LED lights. Nutrients: GH Flora Trio/Calmag coco/perlite, GH PH Down or pure lemon juice, in case PH down isn't available.

Comment

• OldManGrower
      OldManGrower commented
      Editing a comment
      Good idea if I had the seeds in hand. Unfortunately, all I have are photos.

Yes I am down with ETS as well but my beans are in the mail so I have to practice patience. Aahhh the wait!
    Grow # 3 50/50 S/I Critical Mass photo fem
    Seeds drop in water 1/8/2022

Medium: FF Coco Loco plus 30% Perlite in 7 gal cloth bags
    Space: 30x48x62 DIY cabinet lined w/space blankets
    Lighting: Bloomspect SS1000 Quantum board x 3 - 300 watts actual draw
    Soil Supplements: Worm Castings, Crab Shell, Oyster Shell, Neem and Karanja Meal, Volcanic Basalt Dust (for minerals), Recharge root micros. Grow 3 is with reconstituted super soil to which I've added several additional minerals and supplements. A more complete list based on Cackamas Coots super soil recipe can be found in my Auto Toka thread
    i don't grow plants anymore, I grow soil that my plants can thrive in!
    My filtered tap water runs over 7.5 pH but the soil microbes
    make pH correction unnecessary
    Ventilation: Vipospar 4" Exhaust Fan w/RH controller, 12" Carbon Scrubber
    8" bottom intake fan, 6" clip on fan, 6" heater as needed
    Cabinet on screen porch. N AZ @ 4000 ft.

My salute to all who have served
    Semper Fidelis!

Comment

I don't have ETS but I have EGRS... Go with autos I'm doing it all the way this time. Me too my autos are in the mail. Now it's a waiting game.
      Light: Viparspectra P2000, Viparspectra P1500, Viparspectra XS2000, KingLed 1500
      Medium: organic, Fafard perlite, Fafard Urban Garden organic mix, Organic compost shrimps.
      Nutrients: Alaskan Fish, Advanced Nutrients Big Bud, Advanced Nutrients Ancient Earth, Advanced Nutrients Sensi Cal Mag Xtra
      Full auto grow
      Grow room : 8X12X10, 2 industrial fans, 1 dehumidifier, 1 Vivosun carbon filter & controller
      12 Wild Thailand Ryder from WOS

Comment

If someone can't go in and tend to them during that week while you're gone I'd wait until December. Not sure if you don't want someone in your place while you're gone or don't trust them to know what to do? Even with remote monitoring and auto-watering you'd need someone to go in if there was an issue.
        Soil: Coast of Maine Stonington Blend, perlite; Seedlings: CoM org potting soil
        Indoor: 2 x 5.5 x 8' Closet grow
        Viparspectra XS2000; EnjoYield 220W full spectrum light added during flower
        Various size fabric grow bags
        Cal-Mag & GH Trio if needed; Flower Fuel & molasses during bloom; ReCharge
        4 clip fans. Exhaust into attic is vented to the eaves
        Current grow: DEAD FLOWERS

"Joker, smoker & midnight toker, I sure don't want to hurt no one"

Comment

Boy i do feel your ETS right now. I've got very low reserve of homegrown and nothing to harvest in the near future until mid to late sept. crossing my fingers i won't have to spend much to suppliment until then. But if i were you i'd wait unless you have a very good friend who knows how you care for your plants.
          Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
          indoor/outdoor grower
          1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
          1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
          I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
          Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
          Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
          Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Hey Everyone! Thanks for the input. After reviewing you suggestions, I believe I shall do the following:

I will start my grow the last week of August. By the time I leave town, they should be in the last 2 weeks of flowering( If the seed purveyors description is correct). I will give them a real soaking prior to leaving and put in two 12 ounce watering bulbs per plant. I have done this before and the plants made it through fine. I can have a neighbor check in to see if any more watering is required before I return. By the time I leave, the plants will be sufficiently into flowering that I will be finished with defoliating and LST and there isn't much more I can do but wait. When I return, they should be close too or ready for harvest.

Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
            5 gallon cloth pots
            30"x30"x60" tent
            Spider Farmer SE3000
            Coco Pearlite mix
            GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

My yield is always so low that I've convinced myself that success is based on the tastiness of the bud. I have little hands and feet too.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X