Bugs and certain strains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bugs and certain strains

This is my first time growing outside. I've got six Auto flowers going. Two white widows, two white lightnings, and two candy canes. The bugs are having a field day on the white widows and the white lightnings. Not touching the candy canes at all. What gives?

I have staggered the start times so that they all come in at different times. Used a Neem oil mix on all but the candy canes. Not one drop on them. I guess the bugs are gonna eat the shit out of some strains and just skip on by the others. I'm going to make notes and remember that next year.
    Mother Earth Coco/Perlite 70/30
    Canna Coco Or
    Happy Frog soil
    Fox Farms nutrients trio
    Smart pots
    Vivosun tent, LED lite & fan

Semper Fi brothers and sisters!

If you visit the seed sites and read strain details you will see some do claim to be more pest resistant than others. I've been researching strains quite a bit lately so I've noticed it tho I had heard it before.
    Grow # 3 50/50 S/I Critical Mass photo fem
    Seeds drop in water 1/8/2022

Medium: FF Coco Loco plus 30% Perlite in 7 gal cloth bags
    Space: 30x48x62 DIY cabinet lined w/space blankets
    Lighting: Bloomspect SS1000 Quantum board x 3 - 300 watts actual draw
    Soil Supplements: Worm Castings, Crab Shell, Oyster Shell, Neem and Karanja Meal, Volcanic Basalt Dust (for minerals), Recharge root micros. Grow 3 is with reconstituted super soil to which I've added several additional minerals and supplements. A more complete list based on Cackamas Coots super soil recipe can be found in my Auto Toka thread
    i don't grow plants anymore, I grow soil that my plants can thrive in!
    My filtered tap water runs over 7.5 pH but the soil microbes
    make pH correction unnecessary
    Ventilation: Vipospar 4" Exhaust Fan w/RH controller, 12" Carbon Scrubber
    8" bottom intake fan, 6" clip on fan, 6" heater as needed
    Cabinet on screen porch. N AZ @ 4000 ft.

My salute to all who have served
    Semper Fidelis!

Comment

TOKABIGONE got it. I would think though that the bugs would at least nibble a little bit on the candy cane plants but not one bite. It's just like I'm growing inside and in the tent. It's a very strange thing going on I guess. Thanks for your reply - happy growing!
      Canna Coco Or
      Happy Frog soil
      Fox Farms nutrients trio
      Smart pots

Comment

Now this is just a theory, but after reading a little of the strain description and going by the name, it might have a terpene profile that deters pests like peppermint or what not. That would be my guess though purely speculative so take that for what it's worth.

Comment

• jamesphoto
          jamesphoto commented
          Editing a comment
          Tersky no I have to agree with you 100%. The bugs loved the white widow & white lights but skipped the candy cane strain all together. Something about that plant just turn them completely off.

• TOKABIGONE
          TOKABIGONE commented
          Editing a comment
          I guess this may prove that the critters really do have a sense of smell. They will travel far for a taste or run if they don't like it!
          Last edited by TOKABIGONE; 07-29-2021, 10:20 PM.

I see this too, the Black Domina x BB3 gets the most here.
        BTW dont use neem oil on buds, not safe. Outside invest in ladybugs and praying mantis.

Comment

One thing I have noticed with my outdoor grows is that moths seem to be attracted to strains that have a pine or citrus profile. Last year the only plants that seemed to suffer caterpillar damage were the ones that were piney. Is happening again with my OG Kush plants this year.

Comment

I stay hunting praying mantis and green lacewings and ladybugs. I throw them in my outdoor “tent” it’s all screen to keep moths or any butterflies basically to keep it free of caterpillars. Some growers mostly people that do living soil style grows indoors or out will keep what they call banker plants or simply trap plants. Meaning they know certain strains or plants attract pest and they grow them next to their prized plants (cannabis) some swear by it some hell no. I had thrips in my indoor tent and only one plant out of the 8 was getting the most affected I took it out and some lingered around but with some Cucumeris and rove beetles I made it thru to harvest this time around who knows where they went I didn’t even clean the tent guess my beneficials did their job. Not bad for 35 bucks and no bullshit sprayed on my plants. I do use Neem only during veg.

Comment

Thank you all for the feedback. I only use the neem oil during the vegetation stage. I read everything from this website and I was told to not use it during the flower stage so I don't.
              Canna Coco Or
              Happy Frog soil
              Fox Farms nutrients trio
              Smart pots

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X