Clear All

Auto-flowers won’t flower

Here’s the story:
    (3) Autoflower seeds, Red Congolese
    All purchased together
    All germinated at the same time
    All in the same soil, same nutes, same location
    All grown outdoors

One went to autoflower around week 4, the other two are just in veg. All three look very healthy but no flowers on 2 of 3. Thoughts?

How old are they all, seed in soil till now how old? I've had slow autos
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• panalilies
      panalilies commented
      Editing a comment
      My CPs have a 70-80 day flowering time and my oldest just hit 70 days on Sunday. Physically tho, the oldest CP is like 2-3 weeks behind the younger plant. #1 is just now starting to beef up her buds while #2 will be ready to harvest in the next couple weeks

• MarkMariMan
      MarkMariMan commented
      Editing a comment
      All seeds were placed in the soil on June 04. The two that are not flowering were a little weaker than the one that is flowered, they had a hard time getting going, but as you can see, they got their footing and are coming along quite well. By week 4 the first plant was flowering but now we are coming up the the end of week 8 and nothing on the other two.

The leaves of plant #1&2 are mostly 5 lobed with wide lobes. The leaves on plant #3 are mostly 3 lobed with narrower lobes than the first two. They look like different plants, but they do go through changes when they go to bloom. When #3 was younger, did the leaves look like the first two? If not, then you may have a case of the wrong seeds being sent in your order. Just go with the flow and see what they grow into.
    Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

• MarkMariMan
      MarkMariMan commented
      Editing a comment
      I've trimmed the big fan leaves off of the flowering plant, that explains the greatest difference. The fan leaves were quite large. That said, the leaves on the non-flowering plants do appear to be somewhat different than the flowering one. All theree have some three-, five- and seven lobed leaves.

• MarkMariMan
      MarkMariMan commented
      Editing a comment
      On closer look today, the two non-flowers have 9-lobe, wider leaves than the flowering one. I think there may be a lot more Indica in these two than expected while the other has narrower lobes, likely more sativa. As I said in one of my other comments, I do this all for fun and don't even smoke the stuff myself. The apparent grab-bag of purchased seed isn't what I expected but the outcome may be an unexpected surprise. Just hoping the size remains compact.

Yeah Ckbrew and MarkMariMan buying seeds is like buying a box of chocolates...ya never know.... That's why I decided to keep with a select few strains of regular seeds and really Grow My Own. Properly kept, pollen will last quite awhile. Create my own private strains and stop buying who knows what ?!! Kind of a long range goal but what else have I got to do. Do try this at home!
    Last edited by TOKABIGONE; 07-28-2021, 12:13 PM.
    Grow # 3 50/50 S/I Critical Mass photo fem
    Seeds drop in water 1/8/2022

Medium: FF Coco Loco plus 30% Perlite in 7 gal cloth bags
    Space: 30x48x62 DIY cabinet lined w/space blankets
    Lighting: Bloomspect SS1000 Quantum board x 3 - 300 watts actual draw
    Soil Supplements: Worm Castings, Crab Shell, Oyster Shell, Neem and Karanja Meal, Volcanic Basalt Dust (for minerals), Recharge root micros. Grow 3 is with reconstituted super soil to which I've added several additional minerals and supplements. A more complete list based on Cackamas Coots super soil recipe can be found in my Auto Toka thread
    i don't grow plants anymore, I grow soil that my plants can thrive in!
    My filtered tap water runs over 7.5 pH but the soil microbes
    make pH correction unnecessary
    Ventilation: Vipospar 4" Exhaust Fan w/RH controller, 12" Carbon Scrubber
    8" bottom intake fan, 6" clip on fan, 6" heater as needed
    Cabinet on screen porch. N AZ @ 4000 ft.

My salute to all who have served
    Semper Fidelis!

Comment

• MarkMariMan
      MarkMariMan commented
      Editing a comment
      I do this all for fun, I don't actually partake in my own grow. I buy the autoflowers due to a short growing season and a desire to keep this all outdoors, so photos aren't a good option for me but I love the thought of it.

• Rwise
      Rwise commented
      Editing a comment
      I luv doing my own hybrids, even strains.

Me thinks you know have some photo plants and they will flower as the days grow shorter. This is happening more, kinda like they put the floor sweep back into the seed bin.

Comment

Ive got some autos on the go that were supposed to take between 70-85 days and im currently on day 137 with maybe a week or 2 left so id just be patient.You could put them on 12/12 to get them flowering or with a little training you could just keep them in veg till the others are done.Good luck.
      Grow tent=120x60x150 for veg,300x150x160 for flowering
      Current grow=4x dwarf autos,
      Medium=coco/perlite 60/40
      Nutrients=canna a+b plus calmag
      Lighting=2x110w QBs for veg,2x600w hps/digital+dimmable for flowering
      Ventilation=Small tent 2x4" ac infinity fans and 2x rhino carbon filters Large tent 8"ac infinity fan+filter.
      Circulation=2x6"oscilating fans in smaller tent, 2x8" oscilating fans and 12" static in large tent
      Pots=12l fabric
      Temps with light on 23-24c,lights of 17-18c

Comment

• jamesphoto
        jamesphoto commented
        Editing a comment
        How would you put outside plants on a 12 and 12 schedule? Not quite sure I understand how that would be done...

• homegrown
        homegrown commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey jamesphoto, unless your outside plants are in pots..your outta luck, mother nature has to switch the time for you. I have 2 outside in pots that i forced into flower by bringing them into my garage at night(12hrs of darkness) then back out to the sunshine for the day. Only problem with this is..i have to do this every night now till harvest Or until we have 12 hrs of natural darkness. And moving the 8 foot monster every day is a pain in the arse.

Afghani autos I'm growing now took 8 weeks to begin flower. Northern Lights autos started flowering in 5 weeks.
      Danny

Lovin' life...

Grow System:
      DIY RDWC built in 10 gal tote container
      Vipar Spectra p2000 LED full spectrum light
      Vent fan w/carbon filter and assorted fans, airpump, dehumidifiers, etc
      2x4 grow tent

Current Grow: TOO MUCH

made the newb mistake of starting too many plants in my system. 2 Northern Lights autos and 2 Afghans autos

Comment

• MarkMariMan
        MarkMariMan commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm going to keep these around for the rest of the season. If they flower - great. If not, well I'll just have to rethink my seed supplier for next year. I did contact the supplier and, in theory, they will be sending replacement seeds but I'm not holding my breath.

I believe the issue of long flowering autos and short flowering photos has a lot to do with the ruderalis genetics being unstable in the hybrid. It's a crap shoot and what you get is just that.
      Grow # 3 50/50 S/I Critical Mass photo fem
      Seeds drop in water 1/8/2022

Medium: FF Coco Loco plus 30% Perlite in 7 gal cloth bags
      Space: 30x48x62 DIY cabinet lined w/space blankets
      Lighting: Bloomspect SS1000 Quantum board x 3 - 300 watts actual draw
      Soil Supplements: Worm Castings, Crab Shell, Oyster Shell, Neem and Karanja Meal, Volcanic Basalt Dust (for minerals), Recharge root micros. Grow 3 is with reconstituted super soil to which I've added several additional minerals and supplements. A more complete list based on Cackamas Coots super soil recipe can be found in my Auto Toka thread
      i don't grow plants anymore, I grow soil that my plants can thrive in!
      My filtered tap water runs over 7.5 pH but the soil microbes
      make pH correction unnecessary
      Ventilation: Vipospar 4" Exhaust Fan w/RH controller, 12" Carbon Scrubber
      8" bottom intake fan, 6" clip on fan, 6" heater as needed
      Cabinet on screen porch. N AZ @ 4000 ft.

My salute to all who have served
      Semper Fidelis!

Comment

• Ckbrew
        Ckbrew commented
        Editing a comment
        Is ruderalis a strain of cannabis or a completely different plant?

• TOKABIGONE
        TOKABIGONE commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey Ckbrew sorry I missed your post here. Ruderalis is a genre like Sativa and Indica with origin in Siberia so a very short grow period. It is the origin of Autos by crossing it with Ind and Sat and stabilize it for shorter grow plants. As I said above some new hybrids may have unstable genetics which is why shorter and longer grows. Just my opinion.

homegrown okay, now I get it. Yes my outdoor plants are in pots. They are autos and half the size of yours. I can see where moving your plants everyday would be a pain. But once you get to harvest time you'll have enough to make your eyes red...

Happy growing!
      Mother Earth Coco/Perlite 70/30
      Canna Coco Or
      Happy Frog soil
      Fox Farms nutrients trio
      Smart pots
      Vivosun tent, LED lite & fan

Semper Fi brothers and sisters!

Comment

Thanks to all for the comments. I really thinking two of the three seeds are a different strain than I bought but, cest la vie. I'll continue them on their journey and see what I get. They are outdoors and in pots but dragging them in and out of the garage isn't going to be workable. Gunna let them run their natural course and see what happens.

Comment

• Ckbrew
          Ckbrew commented
          Editing a comment
          My motto, don't worry, be happy. They r weeds after all. They will grow into their own destiny.

• SoOrbudgal
          SoOrbudgal commented
          Editing a comment
          Well it's a disappointment but hopefully a reward later down the road on your grow. Do they have any sign of pre flower on them MarkMariMan?

• MarkMariMan
          MarkMariMan commented
          Editing a comment
          @SoOrgbudgal, no sign of flowering yet. Being as it's early August they're running out of time to start. I guess I'll just keep them around as pretty ornamentals until they start to wither on their own.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X