Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Germination question..

Hey everyone.

I have started auto seeds the same way I have done with my previous three grows, they were all photo seeds previously, the paper towel method between two plates on a temp controlled heat pad(21°C). I have had great success with that method, 100% on my last grow, and all popping within 36 to 48hrs. I have only had 3, maybe looking like 4, out of 11 in nearly 48 hrs. If you have the time to give me some help/advice, it would greatly appreciated as always.

Questions..

1. Am I just being impatient and should just chill out a bit?
    2. As I am nearly ready to put the seeds that are ready into plugs, should I just plug all of them?
    3. My instincts tell me that I should also start the other 4 auto seeds left over, straight into the plugs this time? Or are my instincts off.. and maybe I should be less medicated?

I got these seeds through the same local Australian seedbank I used for my current number 3 grow, and have had 100% success with the photo seeds so far. The Breeder of two of the strains is Synergy Automatic Genetics, and the third is from the seedbank, inhouse breeding. As this is my first time doing Autos, it could be just nerves I guess. Any help/advice on this would be appreciated as always. Thanks for your time everyone. Cheers
    Last edited by newbutoldgrower75; 07-21-2021, 02:59 AM.
    3rd indoor grow in 15 years.

2 x Wedding Cake(New420guy)
    2 x Grandoggy Jones(Connoisseur Genetics)
    6ft x 6ft BudBox Pro White
    4 x 37litre(10 Gallon) Bucket Company pots
    Professor's Nutrients 70% Coco 30% Perlite
    3 x ES 300's (2 x V2, 1 x V3)
    Professor's Nutrients feeding program(slightly modified)
    ISO-Max 200 exhaust fan with filter

I have been having some issues with seeds lately and a friend n I were wondering with the big increase in growers that the breeders are allowing seeds to go through that they normally wouldn't or possibly immature seeds are being sent out to keep up with demand...I don't know this is happening it was just a conversation we had.

What I've done is change my technique a little by soaking the seeds in a cup with a splash of peroxide in it for 24 hours before putting them into the paper towels and it seems to be helping

Edit= forgot to say that on some seeds that they've just taken as much as 5-9 days to pop then a week to break ground so just major patience... I gave up on a couple sat em in the corner just for them to break ground like a week later... I don't know what is going on I'm just glad it's not just me having this issue I was about to go crazy
    Last edited by MeEasy; 07-21-2021, 06:18 AM.
    TENT 1 4x4 SF7000
    s silver haze... strawberry haze...
    .. gg4 and cheese berry auto thrown from the auto hut
    TENT 2 2X4 SF2000
    2x Thundersuck... og Jimmy... flo.... blue cheese
    TENT 3 2X4 SF2000 + 2 113w blurples
    3 gallon pots all autos
    Weddingcake..2 red Gorilla girl..2 cinderella jack

All growing in living soil using Earth Dust
    👇my one n only journal👇
    https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...oh-and-journal

Comment

• newbutoldgrower75
      newbutoldgrower75 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for your comment my friend. After I received my last delivery of seeds I actually thought the same thing, great minds think alike haha. The order I received had quite a few lighter seeds in the packets, but still plenty of dark ones with them. My first thought was demand is out weighing supply due to Covid19 lockdowns etc, more growers higher demand. As you said, this is only speculation though. I hope to get into a bit of breeding in a couple of years time, demand for good quality strains/genetics are increasing dramatically in Australia.

I will give your splash of peroxide in a glass of warm water technique a go next time before putting them in the paper towel, interested in giving it a go. I'm also going to try germinating some straight into the Eazy Plugs and see how they go.

"Edit= forgot to say that on some seeds that they've just taken as much as 5-9 days to pop then a week to break ground so just major patience... I gave up on a couple sat em in the corner just for them to break ground like a week later..." For some reason I had stuck in my head that if seeds haven't popped in the 48 to 72hrs time frame there is like a 80% chance that they wont. I'm guessing its some bad information that I have picked up somewhere when I first started researching. researching, not from the GWE site/forum though.

Thank you for your help/advice buddy, once again. I will message you a bit later on, going to be topping the WC's today, nerves are kicking in lol.

• newbutoldgrower75
      Editing a comment
      Forgot to say that I woke up this morning and had 6 ready and waiting to go into plugs..yay.

Yes it happens i've waited 5 days then just put them in a cup of soil set them aside forget for few days even put a humidity dome cup on top. But not too hot a area as these will rot in high humidity, hot area. sometimes we get slow starters hang in there.
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• newbutoldgrower75
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for your advice/help SoOrbudgal. Somewhere along the line I have picked up the wrong information and it got stuck in my head. I thought if they weren't popped by 72hrs they were pretty much no good, my bad. I threw out 5 x Red Velvet and 5 x Pineapple Express seeds Grow 2 because they didn't germinate in 72hrs, such a newbie lol. I don't think I have to worry about high heat and humidity here at the moment, we are having one of the coldest winters I have ever experienced in Australia. Do you think they are ok on a heat pad at 21°C(69.8°F)?

yes. I agree . Some take several days and some pop in 24hrs. I use the paper towel method, wait for them to pop and then right away into the rapid rooter things. Usually good results except for found seed which is a crapshoot.

Comment

hairyman Thank you for the advice/help, appreciate it. My plan is to put them in Eazy Plugs, similar to Rapid Rooters, once they pop. Then straight into 3 Gallon pots once they break ground, first sight of leaves. What are your thoughts on that plan buddy? First time doing Autos so a little anxious haha.

Comment

• Puglover1
        Puglover1 commented
        Editing a comment
        If I grow autos again I'm throwing the seed right into the pot to start. I have photo seeds starting in my Aero-Garden, worked fine first grow. One Wild Thai seedling is growing up, one WT seed's stem/rooting doesn't look promising, same with a WW Fast fem, No idea why. I have another WW seed soaking in a shot glass and a found Mag seed from my grow that I hope germs, first time they took several days. Good lick!

• SoOrbudgal
        SoOrbudgal commented
        Editing a comment
        Sure seems like a good germination temp. you have @newbutoldgrower. Yes i'd get a little root and put that in the final pot, drop a few tablespoons of water on it and place a clear cup on top as a dome. No need to have a lamp on it till it pokes through surface. I do full spectrum on my autos just keep the distance at least 36" just like photo seeds. I have used my old viparspectras with just the blue veg light only also for vegging seedling autos for a week then full spectrum. Once again it will be a test for you, not too much different than photo. Just don't over water , don't let the light get too close if it's a big one. You'll do just fine

Puglover1 I think I will do similar on my next Auto grow, plant the seeds directly into the coco. I'm going to give the 5 that haven't popped yet until the 5th day and then put them in a cup(dome on top) of coco/perlite then into the germination/propagation tent as SoOrbudgal mentioned above, and start a couple more just incase. The Wild Thailand looks like it will be a fun but challenging grow being 100% Sativa, guessing they will grow quite large. I would be seeing if Farmbuck can give you some advice(if he has the time of course) if you have any trouble with the WT, from what I have been reading he has grown nearly every Landrace strain out there. I wouldn't give up on the seedlings that aren't looking promising just yet. Had one seedling for Grow 3 break ground and it looked very sad, small and leaves were drooping. By day 5 of breaking ground the seedling was as healthy as the others, and now has 6 nodes and doing very well. Thank you for your comment and luck, and hope the two seedlings turn around for you. Good luck.

Comment

• Puglover1
        Puglover1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi newbutoldgrower75 I had a seed-to-pot seed not popping fast so I put a small upside-down Pyrex/glass bowl over the hole, it was born when I checked the next morning. Needed extra humidity boost. One WT seedling is growing as expected, roots showing on the under side of the starter, the one White Widow fast stem I pushed back down into the starter, the leaves are still alive. I dropped a new, 2nd WT seed for insurance after shot glass, water, peroxide. I did the same with my found Mag seed, before I buy some.

Regarding your question below, I'm not budgal and I don't know your whole set up but before I went from my starters to 3 gal fabric for autos Mr.furley advised me to wet the coco mix in my pots ahead of planting with cal-mag and water pH'd. HTH. Thnx.

• Farmbuck
        Farmbuck commented
        Editing a comment
        Bonjour @newbutoldgrower75
        You know I like growing Sativa from Ace Seeds. They could be a little bit challenging when you do it indoor like I do. Lucky I have a 10 feet ceiling so it easier to manage her height. So LST on them at the beginning is very important. Make sure to don't veg them too long or you will end-up in big trouble like I did once. Yes they do grow tall so keep that in mind.

Be patient they take longer to flower compare to Indica so again a challenge to keep them in good shape. Oh yes Sativa adore light so if you plan to be a Sativa grower make sure you have a lot of it. The more intensity the more the girls will like you. Oh yeah also try not to mix indica with sativa cuz your sativa will take over the light.

Anyway here are some good links to prepare you with some Sativa's growing :

Few people are willing to grow crazy Sativas at home. In this article, we will go over many tips that growers can implement in order to grow these elegant..

Growing a true sativa is becoming a lost art. A true, unadulterated sativa is simply not a commercially viable crop. They take more electricity to produce indoors, and they often take twice as long as indicas to flower, leading to fewer harvest per year. As such, they are an extremely rare item to find on a dispensary menu, and if you can find the real deal they are extraordinarily expensive. In order for a discerning craft cannabis connoisseur experience that euphoric sativa high, chances a

Whether you’re wondering where to start, or looking to level up an existing cannabis garden, here are some tips for growing sativa strains.

Last but not least: https://www.growweedeasy.com/guide-t...trains-indoors

Hope I was a little bit helpful !!

• newbutoldgrower75
        Editing a comment
        Hello and thank you my fellow grower from Canada with the French accent🙂 Farmbuck I appreciate you taking the time to comment and post some links, I'm sure Puglover1 does as well. Great information from you and in the links, had a bit of a look at the links while doing some more research this morning. I thought 100% Sativa could be a bit challenging from my research over the last 2 years, and knew you would be the person to talk to about any problems etc, have noticed your passion for Sativa😉. Thanks again buddy.
        Last edited by newbutoldgrower75; 07-24-2021, 10:19 PM.

Thank you again for your advice/help and encouragement SoOrbudgal. I have a couple of questions from your comment if you don't mind. When I go to put the seed with a little root into the final pot with coco/perlite, should the medium in the pot be already damp/prepared? And if yes, should I use 1/4 strength nutes in the final pot with the coco when preparing? That's what I would do normally with Photo's .. but his Auto grow has me a little anxious at the moment lol

As I will be preparing to put a seedling that broke ground this morning into its final pot in the main tent sometime today, should I keep the 600w HPS light I will be using at the 36" height that you suggested for the FS light? I'm going to start a grow journal/diary thingy for this grow as well, thinking I'm going to need a little guidance on this venture. Very much appreciate your time. Cheers.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
        SoOrbudgal commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes i wet the soil prior to putting seed in. I will do this evening before just helps settle the dry soil ya know how it sinks when first watering? Anyhoo, then i poke a hole, try an get that tail downward but if not an it goes sideways no matter it finds a way to emerge from soil correctly. I will drop a few tablespoons of water on it and that's it.

No i don't feed a seed/seedling right away. My soil i mix has worm casings so it's fine for couple weeks. Then i will give like 1/4 strength gradually move up as you see fit. I'm probley too conservetive on food but i do give full strength by a month old. How'd you do your other seeds with the light, did you use that HPS? I got little t-5 tube light stand i use an a CFL with a hood. I set them about 3" away. I've not used HPS but have use my older LED at 36"

Puglover1 thank you for your help and sharing your experience with me, I truly appreciate it. I think I will leave the seed to pot method to next time, by last night I had 8 out of the 11 seeds pop, and all seeds are in plugs now. 6 have broken ground and 2 are just about. Next time I'm going to try the soaking seeds in water/peroxide for 24hrs before putting in the paper towel to pop like my friend MeEasy mentioned earlier. Then straight into the final pot. As Autos are completely new to me I'm guessing I was a bit nervous/anxious about the grow. I did a lot more research yesterday and went over what I had already researched, and feeling more positive about the grow. I don't think I will start anymore seeds now as I am happy with what has germinated so far, save money and use them next time.

You seem to be on to it with the seedlings, and confident with what you are doing. Im really looking forward to seeing that Wild Thai grow

Sort of wish I had seen your comment earlier, I respect Mr.furley's advice. He has helped me out in my past grows. I ended up emailing the nutrient company I use directly and got responses within an hour each time, great customer service IMO. After emailing them and doing more research of feeding schedules etc for autoflowers, I prepared the pot with nutes at EC 0.6.

Comment

• Puglover1
        Puglover1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey, sounds like you're having a happy Friday, more assured and hopeful. I went to the dispensary this evening, my budtender was an OG. I told her I had a WT seedling growing and had dropped another seed for insurance, she said she wished she had WT again so I guess they don't anticipate it being available/grown again unless as a hybrid/cross. Now I have even more pressure on me for a harvest. LOL. But seriously, it helps pain for me better than anything I've sampled, or buy regularly, in absence of WT. Good luck, sounds like things are moving along well. (now I have to finish reading all of Farmbuck's links )

SoOrbudgal I now feel like such a noob for asking that question about wetting the medium first, I'm blaming anxiety with the new grow haha. After doing a bit more research and having a chat to the people that make the nutes I use, I think I have come up with a bit of a feeding schedule to use as a guide. To start seeds for my next Auto grow Im going to soak seeds in peroxide/water for 24hrs before putting them into the paper towel. Once I see a small tail I will pop them into my prepared final pots with a plastic cup over the top until they break ground. As you can see in the picture, Im already using the plastic cup trick in my germination tent. I was reading somewhere, can't exactly remember where, that Auto's in plugs should be transplanted when you get the first set of serrated leaves. Does this sound right?

I have a small germination tent( around 75cm x 60cm) with a small T5 light in it. With photo seeds I would usually put the rooted plug into a solo cup/pot in the germination tent, and grow for a couple of weeks. The T5 in the small tent wont be close to producing sufficient light in the 4x4 tent for nine plants I don't think. I do have a 400w HPS globe that I could start the seedlings off with in the 4x4, at maybe 24" to 30"? Otherwise Im thinking of just starting them with the 600w HPS at 36". From what I have been reading, Autos prefer low to medium light intensity for up to the first 3 weeks. Not sure how outdated the information is that I have been reading, but time will tell.
      Attached Files

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X