Found Seeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found Seeds

While grinding some weed I came across a couple of nice fat seeds. I am assuming that they would be feminized since they came from a feminized plant in a tent with nothing but feminized plants... I recently planted the two seeds and sure enough they both have sprouted. Is my thinking correct in assuming that they are feminized or could they go either way??? Just don't know... Muskie Man
    Potting Soil Pro-Mix HP.
    Grow Light Phlizon 1200 watts LED grow light.
    Grow Tent 36 inches by 36 inches by 72 inches high.
    Circulation 2 six inch fans.
    Humidity 48% to 54% depending when I water the plants.
    Temperature 70 degrees F. with lights off. 78 degrees F. with lights on.

I would have thought that logically they would also be females but when I tried planting a few I got a few males with them so unfortunately I think it might not be the case. I suspect it depends a little on whether you have seeds because of a genetic hermie, a stress induced hermie or perhaps just some pollen that blew over from the neighbors. I don’t have any scientific evidence beyond having had a couple males turn up when I planted a few.

Comment

IF the pollen came from a hermied female the seeds will be female as there is no male gene to work with. However the chance of more hermies is increased.
      IF the pollen came from a true male plant (yes even from outside your grow) then the seed would be 50/50 male/female (on average).

Comment

• DeadlyFruit
        DeadlyFruit commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m not saying you are wrong - you are probably right and I am wrong - I just want to understand why.

With that preface made, a hermie is for lack of a better description a mix of male and female parts… typically it is a female that is triggered (genetically or through environmental stressors) to develop male parts for the purpose of self-pollination. I get the sense there is a difference between intersex and hermaphrodite (intersex being more of a human thing) but I am not knowledgeable enough to say what that is. If these plants have no male genetic material at all carrying the blueprints for ‘male-ness’ how can they develop male parts? To stress again, I am not a genetics person I am interested in understanding why it is the way it is. Essentially, what do the chromosomes of a hermaphrodite plant look like and how can they generate male parts without any male genetic material? A very quick search didn’t reveal anything definitive but I get the sense that the genetic makeup of dioecious plants (to distinguish between plants that have a gender and those that are always both genders) isn’t quite as simple as just male or just female genetics. I would be very interested in the science behind how this works (because that is the kind of nerd I am 🙂).

Back before feminized seeds were a thing (or at least I hadn't heard of them) we would take any males out as soon as they showed themselves we would get a stray banana here n there and end up with a few seeds in our buds. I'm guessing now that I know what fem seeds are we had fem seeds we would use those seeds to grow the next year (seeds weren't so easy to get) and thinking back I do think we had fewer males but not knowing to keep track I'm just going off my weak memory lol I've actually spent time with my aunt who thought me to grow reminiscing and laughing about having fem seeds in the 80s and not knowing we did. This isn't really an answer to your question but your question brought up a memory I just thought I'd share. I believe rwise has already answered your question so I didn't think it was necessary to repeat him
      TENT 1 4x4 SF7000
      s silver haze... strawberry haze...
      .. gg4 and cheese berry auto thrown from the auto hut
      TENT 2 2X4 SF2000
      2x Thundersuck... og Jimmy... flo.... blue cheese
      TENT 3 2X4 SF2000 + 2 113w blurples
      3 gallon pots all autos
      Weddingcake..2 red Gorilla girl..2 cinderella jack

All growing in living soil using Earth Dust
      👇my one n only journal👇
      https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...oh-and-journal

Comment

• Rwise
        Rwise commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep BTDT, I too had fem seed before I new what it was, just never dawned on me that we got no males from them, at first.

• MeEasy
        MeEasy commented
        Editing a comment
        It's crazy Rwise my aunt and I were saying if we weren't so stoned back then and we would have been the ones to figure out they were fem seeds that we'd be millionaires lol joking of course but it's true

My ignorance is showing again lol... what is BTDT?

• DeadlyFruit
        DeadlyFruit commented
        Editing a comment
        MeEasy BTDT= been there done that

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X