Sweeten the bud.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sweeten the bud.

Has any one heard of during quenching of using molasses with the water?

Quenching? Is that the same as flushing? I use blackstrap molasses during the entire flowering period. This topic has come up both recently and in the past - do a search on molasses, I think you'll find good info.
    I like big buds and I can not lie.

Somango XXL (3 gal)
    Blue Mystic (7 gal)
    VIPARSPECTRA 450W LED Grow Light
    Coco Coir w/30% perlite
    Fox Farms Nutrients plus Cal-Mag Plus

Comment

Yeah, I use molasses once a week during the entire grow (after the second week) and then use it with every watering during a 7-10 day flush right at the end. Works well, and everyone likes how smooth and sweet the bud is once its cured. GWE has a tutorial on using molasses_ I think they recommend 1-2 tablespoons per gallon_ but you better check that, I'm not certain. Thats what I use 1x/week with a PH water and microbes_ don't mix any nutrients into this application since I use it to flush any salt buildup. Seems to work well with a coco/perlite mix that drains well and fast.
      Current grow_ coco based medium, Fluence LED lights, AIT, 5 gallon planters,
      liquid organic nutrients by Advance Nutrients and Vegamatrix. Strains_ Exodus Cheese (feminized), Meltdown (regular) and Caesar (regular).

Comment

I used 1/4 cup mollases from week 1 of seed to week 7 and when week 7 came up I started to get a light Meg defincitcy so I wouldn't recomend that much

Comment

• ZigZag
          ZigZag commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, I think that a 1/4 cup might be a bit much but then it probably is relative to lots of other factors as well. In combination with the microbes I think the extra carbs are good for the plants. Since I use coco and a "flood and drain" water schedule then I don't have to be concerned with the molasses leaving residue and maybe clogging up a true hydro system....for those using hydro with recirculating water I don't think molasses is recommended for that reason. Though there are other ways to get a little extra carbs into that kind of system too.

I use mo. Every other watering just a small amount a quater to a half a teaspoon desolved in a gal. Container with cal-mag and ph water,it helps roots with flush also adds microbes and sweetens up buds and is cost effcent. What more could you want?lol

Comment

Is if fair to say that you guys are all feeding the microbes for organic growing, or is there another reason I don't know about to us it?
          completed 7 grows
          what I have learned so far:
          environment maters more than nutrients
          at least a dab of nutrients in every watering
          effective flushing before harvest is critical to quality

Comment

• ZigZag
            ZigZag commented
            Editing a comment
            You can add microbes by using a "tea" made from compost and other organic materials if you have access to that but you can also add them by purchasing them in liquid or powder form from different manufacturers. They can be expensive but if you're growing 6 plants or less per crop then they will last a long time. They also seem to be good for root development and for breaking down nutrients so they are readily accessible.

I read if you feed your plants with sugar or mollases will help the buds be sweeter and smoother smoke. Trying it for the 1st time

Comment

• Flockshot
            Flockshot commented
            Editing a comment
            I read both ways all the time. That is why I was looking for some evidence. I look forward to seeing how it works out for you. Good luck.

I use non-sulfur Blackstrap molasses during flower. One tablespoon per gallon of water once a week. Non-sulfur is very important and blackstrap is better than grocery store molasses.
          DIY grow space 2.5' X 3.5' X 6.5'
          315 LEC
          6" Vortex exhaust fan w/speed control
          6" Carbon filter
          3- 6" fans
          humidifier
          temp and humidity gauge
          5 gal smart pots w/ FFOF soil
          FF trio nutrients

Comment

• Flockshot
            Flockshot commented
            Editing a comment
            This is confusing to me, probably because I have not tried it both ways and compared myself. You have reasons to avoid sulfur in flower, while others are going from cal-mag to cal-sulfur in flower to get more sulfur. I guess it all works. So much to learn.

• ZigZag
            ZigZag commented
            Editing a comment
            I use the blackstrap molasses too (got the recommendation from Nebula) but I never knew to check to see if it was non-sulfur.....is that something thats on the "ingredients label"?

• PuravidaC
            PuravidaC commented
            Editing a comment
            I had to get blackstrap molasses at a health food co-op as grocery stores in my area don't carry blackstrap. It is called unsulfured blackstrap mollasas on the label and on ingredients list. Like Zigzag, I went on Nebula's recommendation for all my grows so I don't have a comparison of growing without molasses.

Comment

U can order on line I use plantation brand not trying to sell just what I use .02$

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X