Anyone else use COB LED lights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else use COB LED lights?

My set up is a 32"x32"x60" tent. I have 410 actual watts of COB lighting in three fixtures (300w., 50w. 60w.) I have been happy with them and have done at least five grows with them. I haven't seen any comments from other growers regarding this type of light and their experiences with them. I can say the heat is low, the light are bright and have great vegetation penetration. I keep them about 20" above the plants. I try new things each time I do a grow. This time I am working on yield which seems to be my most noticeable weak spot. I would appreciate hearing from any of you with experiences with these types of lights.

May you plants grow tall, your buds grow fat and your life be pleasant.
    Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
    5 gallon cloth pots
    30"x30"x60" tent
    Spider Farmer SE3000
    Coco Pearlite mix
    GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Hey OldManGrower - I've been using my Cree Cob light for the last three years - works great but like you I've been a little disappointed with the yields. I've convinced myself that the bloom lights contribute to WPM - but that's just me. Time for a change.

So yesterday I purchased a Mars Hydro FC-E3000 - $350 Canadian on Amazon - should get it in a week or so.
    ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
    Mars Hydro
    Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

Hey, thanks for the response. No one seems to post anything about COB lights and while I am not into the latest gear, I wouldn't mind hearing form others. I was not implying that the COB lights may be in part to blame for my yields. First and foremost it goes to "grower error". It's a process.
      Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
      5 gallon cloth pots
      30"x30"x60" tent
      Spider Farmer SE3000
      Coco Pearlite mix
      GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

• Catfish22
        Catfish22 commented
        Editing a comment
        The plants are capable of much more than I get out of them, for right now.

COB LED grow lights are regularly outperforming normal LED grow lights of similar wattage. The best COB LED Grow lights can compete with normal LED grow lights with 10% higher wattage output.

Comment

I can't comment from experience, yet. I just started my second grow yesterday,first with these new COBS. Went with the Timber fatty-vs, hoping they work good at 950 watts from wall in a 48x48. Can't be any worse than what I had.
        DIY 4x12 Farmacy box w/2 4x4x6 grow areas
        TrolMaster HydroX runs the whole show
        Dual tank Co2 injection w/ rain tubing
        10000 btu thru the wall A/C / 5000 btu heater
        50 pint dehumidifier/ cool mist humidifier
        8" intake fan w/ hepa filter / 8" exhaust fan
        2 Timber Fatty-vs COB 950 watt draw fixtures
        w/ added 4 2ft T5 Pure UV bulbs on each fix.
        2 DIY Hybrid DWC 5 gal bubble bucket systems w/ 55 gal reservoirs w/ PH dosers
        2 2"x2"cyl.stones in each bucket, 8"disk in reservoirs
        GH Flora series (entire line) + Orca
        Grow 3 = Blueberry 1 dwc 1 soil.
        . Cherry pie 1 dwc 1 soil
        Soil is great lakes "just add water" in 7 gal fabric bags

Comment

• OldManGrower
          OldManGrower commented
          Editing a comment
          That's a lot of wattage in that space. You should be able to grow some righteous weed.

• Smoklahoma
          Smoklahoma commented
          Editing a comment
          I hope so, they claim 7x7 veg 5x5 flower. I added 2 2ft double T5 bulb fixtures with pure UV bulbs. Had to redo the grow room to get them bad boys in there.

I have a couple Optic 1XLs cobs (100w each) I used them to light up the corners in my tent that weren't getting enough light. I thought they worked well for supplemental light but I don't think I'd use them for my primary light source. They put out alot of extra heat as well.
        I switched to a Growers Choice Roi 680e in my current grow and couldn't be happier. This light is a freaking beast.
        5x5 Gorilla tent
        Spectrum King SK402 - 2× Optic XL1
        Infinity T8 exhaust fan
        Technaflora nutes
        Nectar of the Gods soil

Comment

I have cob like pucks from chilled led. 3 hooked up to a 320 watt driver. I built 4 of these and they work really good.
          640 watt hlg quantum board
          320 watt diy chilled pucks x4
          300 watt mars hydro sp3000
          150 watt hlg quantum board
          100 watt spider farmer led x2
          organic soil with earth dust dry amendments
          Water only i don't check ph
          6 pot fabric autopots with GH trio nutes

Comment

My original DIY arrays I built 4 years ago use Vero cobs.
            I added a pair of 44" double-row F-strips as outriggers on the sides of the 4-emitter arrays,
            That gives me 460 watts as well as 35 watts of 660nm reds for a bloom boost over a 2x5 footprint.
            I also run a 480-watt qb fixture in my pheno tent, so I'm familiar with both types of fixtures.
            Primary difference I've found is the fact that cob's, like HID lamps, are a single-point source of light so getting uniform distribution can be a challenge.
            WHAT???
            5x5 grow space
            900w of Vero's and F-strips
            4-17gal totes self-made UC system.

Comment

• OldManGrower
              OldManGrower commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree. That is why I have three fixtures. This way I can spread out the light.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X