Sticky question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sticky question

How long does it take after drying, for buds to lose their stickiness, and therefore become grindable without pogging up the grinder?
    600W LEDs (when growing indoors)
    70% John Innes #3 compost. 15% Perlite. 15% coir
    10 inch (3 gallon) pots

"I can resist everything, except temptation"
    Oscar Wilde

The longer the better.

Comment

I never want mine to loose sticky else it's like the hay you buy at some dispenseries.
      Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
      indoor/outdoor grower
      1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
      1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
      I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
      Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
      Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
      Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

I've had the same problems since I upgraded my lights. It's a good thing Space Cases come with a scraper.
        Coconut Grove
        4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Liberty Haze, Acapulco Gold, Lavender and Sweet Amnesia Haze.

3x3 tent, Platinum P300 LED. Flowering two Tangies.

Flower tent:
        4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Super Lemon Haze, Durban Poison and two Tangie x Blueberry crosses.

Nursery:
        32"x32" tent with Feit white LED. Vegging four Mother's Finest.

Coco/Perlite/worm castings/mycorrhizae living soil mix.
        Down-To-Earth dry amendments. Gnarly Barley added weekly. Eisenia fetida.

On deck: Winter indicas.

Comment

Sticky is Good. Dry is Bad. Always err on the side of good. Just clean your grinder and be happy you have something to use it on.
          Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
          5 gallon cloth pots
          30"x30"x60" tent
          Spider Farmer SE3000
          Coco Pearlite mix
          GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

• Puglover1
            Puglover1 commented
            Editing a comment
            My S/S grinder is 10 years old. How does one clean the golden goodies off of those diamond teeth's tops and vertical surfaces?

That's it then, chaps. I'm sticking with the sticky! Thanks.
          10 inch (3 gallon) pots

Oscar Wilde

Comment

If it's not frosty it's not sticky..! Got some old NL in a jar, it's sticky, spongy and goody.
            Light: Viparspectra P2000, Viparspectra P1500, Viparspectra XS2000, KingLed 1500
            Medium: organic, Fafard perlite, Fafard Urban Garden organic mix, Organic compost shrimps.
            Nutrients: Alaskan Fish, Advanced Nutrients Big Bud, Advanced Nutrients Ancient Earth, Advanced Nutrients Sensi Cal Mag Xtra
            Full auto grow
            Grow room : 8X12X10, 2 industrial fans, 1 dehumidifier, 1 Vivosun carbon filter & controller
            12 Wild Thailand Ryder from WOS

Comment

• welshweed
              welshweed commented
              Editing a comment
              So the frostier it is - the more chilled you become.

• Puglover1
              Puglover1 commented
              Editing a comment
              la preuve ou ça ne s'est pas produit

• Farmbuck
              Farmbuck commented
              Editing a comment
              Lollll Oh for sure the proof is in the Mason jar chère dame. After almost 2 yrs, she is still giving a good punch. Surprisingly it's a autos Northern Lights from Seedsman, they were freebies.

Love me some if that sticky icky.
            5x5 Gorilla tent
            Spectrum King SK402 - 2× Optic XL1
            Infinity T8 exhaust fan
            Technaflora nutes
            Nectar of the Gods soil

Comment

I don't think anyone answered the question, which is a good one. We all know how our scissors and fingers get gummed up when we initially trim weed; that's because the trichomes are wet like the rest of the plant. As the buds dry and cure, the trichomes also dry and voilá!! That's where all the wonderful kief comes from. That's why drying the sugar leaves and shaking them over a screen produces such nice hash-making kief.

My buds are very nice to handle by the time they get around 62-60% RH in jar. Yes, you always want to see the triches all over the bud, but they don't stay wet: they also dry out. It doesn't take long.
              Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
              2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
              Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

I have had bud that was sticky no mater how dry it was, could not roll a joint with it, well you could but it wouldn't hit.

Comment

The DO and the DON'T:

Do
                  1. Keep your bud in a dark place. Studies have shown that exposure to UV rays degrades THC levels.
                  2. Keep your bud somewhat moist. Between 55% to 62% RH is ideal to keep the trichomes from losing too much water. Smoking bud, in general, creates allergens, but when it’s dry, it can have a harsher effect on the lungs and sinuses. This amount of moisture also keeps the terpenoids and flavonoids in tact so they can release their aroma and taste.
                  3. Keep your bud in an airtight or low oxygen environment. Studies have shown that exposure to oxygen, over time, reduces THC levels. This is is why many dispensaries package their bud in nitrogen, because it disperses oxygen.
                  4. Keep your bud somewhat cool, between 50 to 70 degrees Fahrenheit. Higher temperatures correlate with a low RH, which drys out the bud, making the trichomes brittle and fall off.
                  5. Keep your bud from moving around. Friction and movement, like shaking it or knocking it around will cause the trichomes to loosen and fall. You want those little things to stay on the bud for the best experience.
                  Don’t
                  1. Don’t keep your bud in a freezer. This is the worst thing you can do. The trichomes will freeze, dry out, and break off. Bye bye potency.
                  2. Don’t keep your bud in a warm place. The attic is not a good idea. Again, low RH means brittle trichomes.
                  3. Don’t keep your bud in a clear jar and expose it to light. If you do use a mason jar, put it in a dark cupboard.
                  4. Don’t put fruit in your cannabis storage container. The theory behind this is that the fruit will emit moisture, but it ends up emitting too much moisture, causing mold growth.
                  5. Don’t leave your bud in a pill container or tin for longer than a few days. These are fine short-term solutions; the degradation process isn’t immediate, and is hardly noticeable to even the most trained connoisseur, but over the long run, both oxygen and dryness will eventually degrade the THC.
                  From Cannador.

I keep my old jars of buds inside of a camping cooler in a dry dark cool room. It seem to do the work.
                  Light: Viparspectra P2000, Viparspectra P1500, Viparspectra XS2000, KingLed 1500
                  Medium: organic, Fafard perlite, Fafard Urban Garden organic mix, Organic compost shrimps.
                  Nutrients: Alaskan Fish, Advanced Nutrients Big Bud, Advanced Nutrients Ancient Earth, Advanced Nutrients Sensi Cal Mag Xtra
                  Full auto grow
                  Grow room : 8X12X10, 2 industrial fans, 1 dehumidifier, 1 Vivosun carbon filter & controller
                  12 Wild Thailand Ryder from WOS

Comment

I quit smoking quite awhile ago but if I remember correctly the sticky icky goes away after you smoke it..... 🤣😂😁🤪 smartazz!!
                  TENT 1 4x4 SF7000
                  s silver haze... strawberry haze...
                  .. gg4 and cheese berry auto thrown from the auto hut
                  TENT 2 2X4 SF2000
                  2x Thundersuck... og Jimmy... flo.... blue cheese
                  TENT 3 2X4 SF2000 + 2 113w blurples
                  3 gallon pots all autos
                  Weddingcake..2 red Gorilla girl..2 cinderella jack

All growing in living soil using Earth Dust
                  👇my one n only journal👇
                  https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...oh-and-journal

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
                    SoOrbudgal commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Correct-a-mundo with that statement MeEasy

I normally keep my jars at 62% (thank you boveda and cheap hygrometers) but lately I have been considering moving to 58%, at least for the jar I am immediately using, for exactly this reason. Sticky icky is desirable but sometimes the ground bud just doesn’t want to go down the holes into the collector part of the grinder. Not better or worse when I partake but thinking it might just easier to grind. Does anyone else use 58 over 62? Do you notice a difference? I think on GWE they suggest if you are going to airtight it and stick it in the freezer for long term storage (not that I would really be keen on freezering it) 58 is a better number.

Comment

• DeadlyFruit
                    DeadlyFruit commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Great way to use the stuff that doesn’t want to go through - just dump it all in a paper and fire it up! 🙂

• Puglover1
                    Puglover1 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Right, DF?

• MeEasy
                    MeEasy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I looked through my notes til my eyes started to bleed and can't find it in there, it's definitely something I would copy paste for myself. So went to their site and started reading I see that they are recommending the 58 n 62% dealers choice. So either I dreamt reading this or they've changed something since then. I emailed them to make sure I'll post when I hear back from them

DeadlyFruit I received an answer from boveda and I'm guessing that they added the 58% packs to the 62s formulated for cannabis they didn't explain anything. This is copy paste from the email

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Boveda. Yes, we have two RH levels designed specifically for cannabis. Both the 58% and 62%RH work for cannabis storage.

Please reach out with any other questions and have a great week!

Team Boveda
                  TENT 1 4x4 SF7000
                  s silver haze... strawberry haze...
                  .. gg4 and cheese berry auto thrown from the auto hut
                  TENT 2 2X4 SF2000
                  2x Thundersuck... og Jimmy... flo.... blue cheese
                  TENT 3 2X4 SF2000 + 2 113w blurples
                  3 gallon pots all autos
                  Weddingcake..2 red Gorilla girl..2 cinderella jack

All growing in living soil using Earth Dust
                  👇my one n only journal👇
                  https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...oh-and-journal

Comment

First grow, so I've decided to "go by the book" and use Boveda 62.

And talking of first grows, I hit a major milestone in my marijuana-growing career yesterday: I smoked my first spliff from my first grow!! And yeah - it seemed to hit the spot (the purple auto). And more importantly, it passed the acid test with my insomniac missus. She had a few tokes before hitting the sack and slept like a baby. The wonders of Mother Nature! (somewhat healthier than those sleeping pills the doctor prescribed).

Yield on the purple was modest - just half an ounce, but not complaining as a 1st grow experience. The other plant, Blodwen the blueberry, (to be harvested this week) looks bigger, and expecting to get something approaching an ounce from her.

All in all, a fascinating and rewarding few months I've had. And thanks to GWE for guiding me through the process.
                    10 inch (3 gallon) pots

Oscar Wilde

Comment

• Puglover1
                      Puglover1 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Congrats!

• MeEasy
                      MeEasy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Nothing better than enjoying the fruits of your labor, it makes everything about it better

• UndergroundFarmer
                      UndergroundFarmer commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hooray for Blueberry!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X