Smoke strains vs Eat strains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoke strains vs Eat strains

Okay, we probably do many different things with our grows. I'm a new grower and so far just a smoker of the product. I'm gonna try my hand at making some eats. My question is do most of you grow different strains for eats and different strains for smoke? It's almost a shame to grow a great smoking bud just to make a cookie with it. What breeds are good for each (I've just opened a can of worms since we all have our 'favorites')? Right now I've got White Widow & Candy Cane growing in the yard. Thanks 😊
    Mother Earth Coco/Perlite 70/30
    Canna Coco Or
    Happy Frog soil
    Fox Farms nutrients trio
    Smart pots
    Vivosun tent, LED lite & fan

Semper Fi brothers and sisters!

Hi again james, I think it's all a matter of personal opinion. I throw all my sugar leaves together and make hash; and I've made some edibles with home made concentrate. So that's usually trichomes from six different strains. Cannabis is always morphing and changing for me, kinda like each high is unique, like a snowflake...
    Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
    2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
    Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I am gonna use the trim but would also like to grow a plant or two to use bud too. Have you ever done that or are you just using trim? Hell if the trim will do the trick I won't have to grow a separate tree just to make the eats from...
      Canna Coco Or
      Happy Frog soil
      Fox Farms nutrients trio
      Smart pots

Comment

Trichomes on sugar leaves contain hella THC and all the good stuff. This is what I posted about shaking all the good stuff out using my Trim Bin: https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...gathering-kief

Here's the hash puck I made: it went fast, it was very good quality.

Click image for larger version

Name:	hash puck.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	2.52 MB
ID:	523103
        Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
        2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
        Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

Yum. That looks very nice. What are you growing? I've tried a small sampling over the past year but I really liked the Girl Scout Cookies & Northern Lights the best
          Canna Coco Or
          Happy Frog soil
          Fox Farms nutrients trio
          Smart pots

Comment

• alltatup
            alltatup commented
            Editing a comment
            Lately I've been growing high THC strains: Royal Queen Seeds has a lot of fantastic hybrids.

Some varieties are good to smoke and even better in a dry herb vaporizer such as Acapulco Gold (Barney's Farm) and Sweet Zombie (Expert). I haven't had much harsh smoke from my own grows in a while so for edibles it's a blend of whatever trim I have on hand.
          Coconut Grove
          4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Liberty Haze, Acapulco Gold, Lavender and Sweet Amnesia Haze.

3x3 tent, Platinum P300 LED. Flowering two Tangies.

Flower tent:
          4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Super Lemon Haze, Durban Poison and two Tangie x Blueberry crosses.

Nursery:
          32"x32" tent with Feit white LED. Vegging four Mother's Finest.

Coco/Perlite/worm castings/mycorrhizae living soil mix.
          Down-To-Earth dry amendments. Gnarly Barley added weekly. Eisenia fetida.

On deck: Winter indicas.

Comment

• TOKABIGONE
            TOKABIGONE commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey UF, I have a few questions for you about Barney's AG. Can I PM you tomorrow? Toka

I followed this recipe for gummies for mamma. Was fairly simple. Tasted fine with the infused coconut oil

Learned a lot this year. pH and whiteflies are issues that need controlling. Maybe an auto over January.....hmmmm...

Comment

I use good quality dried and cured bud to make cannabutter. It’s so versatile you can use it in so many things. If you make it super potent you only need a tiny bit for a really good buzz. There’s a tutorial on the main gwe site that’s really easy to follow.

Comment

I reduced a plant I did not like the smoke from, I was afraid I would still not like the result, however. This Supper Skunk Kush GOG extract puts my lights out for the night, I hated its flavor, and it had not a good high. It is still more a body high, but I am sleeping all night with it, instead of 4 hours.
              I more often use sugar leaf, steams from buds, several strains mixed from whatever I have been smoking. I tend to like this the best so far. (for daytime)
              Also old jars of bud are being reduced to make room for the next harvest, I have a nice amount of GG4 and BB3, Mazar, THP etc..
              I will also be reducing buds that were seeded. (after getting those seed out)

Comment

I was never enthusiastic about edibles due to a few over indulgent experiences, but my favorite mentor, BU2B guided me towards tinctures and I am now a huge fan.

Once you understand how to control the potency you can dial in the desired buzz for a predictable, enjoyable and relaxing session.

In answer to your question, I have recently used buds from a sparkly White Widow harvest to create a tasty and efficacious tincture so you might want to start there.

My goal is epicurean quality rather than high yield.
                I'm learning how to create cannabis tinctures and hashish and I almost always use a vaporizer to spare my aging lungs.
                Despite my avatar name I'm generally amenable and helpful. So, if there's a question I'm qualified to answer, hit me up!

-Grouchy

Comment

grouchyoldman I have some White Widow growing right now. Thinking my first try will be some tincture. Something I can take with me when I go out. Thanks
                  Canna Coco Or
                  Happy Frog soil
                  Fox Farms nutrients trio
                  Smart pots

Comment

This is a great question. I rarely smoke, all of my strains are grown out for edibles. I can't say I have a preference for a particular strain, not yet. When my flowers are cured I soak them in 190 proof ethanol cooled to -40° F and distill out the alcohol for oil to use for edibles.

Comment

• Farmall
                      Farmall commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I Don’t…. Like alltatup I blend many strains of similar characteristics in a universal mix, I keep some separate, I don’t mix sleep class weed with sativa types, and I have concentrates, oils and tinctures that get added to edible mixes, I’m not really a smoker. I have several vapes like Ghost MV-1, Pax 3, Puri 5, Terp Pen and a Freeze Pipe. Capsules work wonders as does candies and lozenges made with honey. That taste of cannibis still makes a yuk face. There are SO many good books and magazines on making high quality edibles that the smoking format is my least used method

• PeterMatanzas
                      PeterMatanzas commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Farmall with pelletized dry ice. Today I started using a dry ice + isopropyl slurry - I'm at -55 now. There isn't a shortage of dry ice here.

• PeterMatanzas
                      PeterMatanzas commented
                      Editing a comment
                      jamesphoto the only seeds I grow are from two breeders: ACE, and DJ/JD Short blueberry strains, and one LIT strain. I've been gifted many many seeds. I don't care about cost because once I have a seed I will have clones. The LIT Farms strain I like, Gatorade #25 - is a pack that was gifted by vendor oregoneliteseeds two years ago and I have a dozen clones of that strain going now. The ACE and Short blueberry strains are regular - I save males, and pollinate fems if I feel like it. So I have more seeds than I could ever grow in my lifetime. Are they high in THC? Yes, but the entourage affect is what I want to capture. Cheap seeds are a gamble, but I'm not in the market to buy seeds and don't expect I ever will buy again.

Farmall great information, thank you. I grow for many of my family members. Some choose not to smoke, that is why I want to make edibles.

If there is one book or even better one website you would recommend what would it be??? Thank you!
                    Canna Coco Or
                    Happy Frog soil
                    Fox Farms nutrients trio
                    Smart pots

Comment

• alltatup
                      alltatup commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I've been following this woman for some years now, and she taught me how to make tincture. She has great recipes. https://wakeandbake.co

Here's a link to my goto tincture resource. Covers everything from simple QWET extraction to making a wide variety of edibles, and ointments.

Introduction Before prohibition in the 1930’s, many of the medicines used were tinctures derived from cannabis and other healing herbs. A tincture, by definition, is a medicine made by dissolving a drug in alcohol. When I make a cannabis tincture, I will refer to it as a Green Dragon tincture or simply GD for short. This is Not Just Another Tincture Thread. This thread will be devoted not only to the Green Dragon tincture recipe, but also on how to use the tincture for edibles and topicals. T...
                    My goal is epicurean quality rather than high yield.
                    I'm learning how to create cannabis tinctures and hashish and I almost always use a vaporizer to spare my aging lungs.
                    Despite my avatar name I'm generally amenable and helpful. So, if there's a question I'm qualified to answer, hit me up!

-Grouchy

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                    X