Trim bin redeems itself: Gathering kief

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trim bin redeems itself: Gathering kief

I always thought the Trim Bin was way overpriced, but now I don't. I made the easiest and best resin ever this morning. I've hade dry ice hash a few times, but I found the process to be a total pain in the ass, and my final product was always brown and contaminated by lots of leaf matter: NOT THIS TIME!!! WOW. The Trim Bin does a fantastic job!!!

In case you're not familiar with the trim bin, it consists of two parts, the top bin has a stainless steel screen (150 micron). I have used it primarily for trimming bud, as it's very comfortable to rest my elbows on.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	trim bin.jpg
Views:	1840
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	463783

Name:	suglf. copy.jpg
Views:	2164
Size:	360.6 KB
ID:	463780
    First I dried all the trim in my curing room: temp 68, humidity 50%. The above picture is the sugar leaf after I sifted like a gold miner for around 20 minutes. There was significantly more volume when I began, and quite a bit of the leaf did break, but didn't make it through the screen!!! I gently shook the bin and moved the leaves around with my fingers a little.

Name:	resin2 copy.jpg
Views:	1855
Size:	269.3 KB
ID:	463781Click image for larger version

Name:	resin3 copy.jpg
Views:	1829
Size:	254.7 KB
ID:	463782

It just kept coming and coming!!! I'm delighted with the amount and purity. I just ordered a hash press.
    Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
    2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
    Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Kool.! Can't wait to show us your Hash press. We shall call ourself "makehasheasy"
    Light: Viparspectra P2000, Viparspectra P1500, Viparspectra XS2000, KingLed 1500
    Medium: organic, Fafard perlite, Fafard Urban Garden organic mix, Organic compost shrimps.
    Nutrients: Alaskan Fish, Advanced Nutrients Big Bud, Advanced Nutrients Ancient Earth, Advanced Nutrients Sensi Cal Mag Xtra
    Full auto grow
    Grow room : 8X12X10, 2 industrial fans, 1 dehumidifier, 1 Vivosun carbon filter & controller
    12 Wild Thailand Ryder from WOS

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      I swear, Farmbuck this was so easy!!! Now I'm excited about collecting sugar leaf!!!

• Farmbuck
      Farmbuck commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm happy for you alltatup I prefer collecting dry than wet and beside I sometime cure my kief lolll Be safe !

Got my Nepal girls curing now !! A few more weeks before I collect their delicious trichies to make my hash.
      Last edited by Farmbuck; 10-30-2020, 09:16 AM.

You’re starting to become my product tester lol I’ve had this in
    my cart on Amazon for a while but thought too pricey. Thanks for the post!

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      bboyfromwayback When I think about the money I spent on dry ice hash equipment, I cringe. Well, it wasn't that bad, but the bags were such a pain to wash, and the dry ice was a pain to deal with, and clean up was also a pain, and my product never turned out right. Pain, pain, and disappointment.

So now I'm super happy with my trim bin.

• bboyfromwayback
      bboyfromwayback commented
      Editing a comment
      Well shit! I got all the stuff to make bubble hash the other day, I just haven’t tried it yet so maybe I’ll just return lol I also ordered the stuff you need for nebulas’s canna caps and it’s in route. I’ll just make those and some butter then try hash later. GWE has me venturing out

That contraption looks like something I want! Now it's in my Amazon wish list. Thanx alltatup

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      I hate to recommend that anyone spend 50 bucks or so on a plastic bin, but... the 150 micron screen is great. It also helps prevent a big mess...

• AccidentalGardener
      AccidentalGardener commented
      Editing a comment
      I thought about MacGyvering something. Perhaps a much smaller screen tray. I don't think my buds would fill up the tray -even if I cut all 6 bushes at once
      I would forever be coveting a full tray, lol.

alltatup wow,that is nice.
    Got a question for you, do you use a screen on your Solo2, ? my Flowermate, v2, is about shot, gonna get the solo2, today.
    Cfls for a week or two
    315lec for everything else
    Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
    36x36x63 inch tent.
    6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
    Smart pots
    Molasses
    Autoflowers

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
      D.A.A.S.69 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the information, I sure don't mind waiting, got plenty of rollinpapers here.
      Thanks Fbl, an 147.

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      D.A.A.S.69 Hey buddy, no, I don't use the screen--just the bent elbow tube. They say the screen heats things up more, so I like to avoid that. I also quit grinding my bud for the Solo II: I just gently break it apart with my fingers and fill the bowl lightly. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE MY SOLO II!!!!!

• D.A.A.S.69
      D.A.A.S.69 commented
      Editing a comment
      alltatup thanks alot, take care.

I love my trim bins! I bought 2 a few months ago. One for me and one for my honey. They work great. I haven't finish my outdoor harvest yet. About 1/2 way through. Ive got a nice size pile of kief ready to go into the jar. I ordered a hash press too. Should be here next week.
    The bins are super convenient to use and the kief just collects underneath.
    5x5 Gorilla tent
    Spectrum King SK402 - 2× Optic XL1
    Infinity T8 exhaust fan
    Technaflora nutes
    Nectar of the Gods soil

Comment

• bboyfromwayback
      Editing a comment
      Smart man! I handle the grow but anytime I order anything for trimming I always get 2. One for me and one for the wifey lol

• PLreef
      PLreef commented
      Editing a comment
      We know how this works. Happy wife, happy life!

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      I ordered a stainless steel hash press on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

20 bucks and 75% 5 star rating (377) reviews.

Not bad at all ! Looks nice 😎🤟🏻
    did you freeze the trim first or just normal dried and then sifted?
    Just because people are over 50 doesn’t mean they know everything.
    You can teach a old dog new tricks - But it will still think the old ways are the “best” lol

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      I left the trim in the bin in the cure room at 50% humidity for around a week, turning it.

Thanks alltatup - for that great review - you've sold me.
    ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
    Mars Hydro
    Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Enjoy, Canuck!!!

Trim Bin Tip 'O the Day alltatup. For ease of collection and less waste, line your bottom bin with Reynolds Freezer wrap. Easy peasy and no static.

Comment

• ChadWestport
      ChadWestport commented
      Editing a comment
      Like parchment paper?

Originally posted by alltatup View Post
    I always thought the Trim Bin was way overpriced, but now I don't. I made the easiest and best resin ever this morning. I've hade dry ice hash a few times, but I found the process to be a total pain in the ass, and my final product was always brown and contaminated by lots of leaf matter: NOT THIS TIME!!! WOW. The Trim Bin does a fantastic job!!!

In case you're not familiar with the trim bin, it consists of two parts, the top bin has a stainless steel screen (150 micron). I have used it primarily for trimming bud, as it's very comfortable to rest my elbows on.

Name:	trim bin.jpg
Views:	1840
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	463783

Name:	suglf. copy.jpg
Views:	2164
Size:	360.6 KB
ID:	463780
    First I dried all the trim in my curing room: temp 68, humidity 50%. The above picture is the sugar leaf after I sifted like a gold miner for around 20 minutes. There was significantly more volume when I began, and quite a bit of the leaf did break, but didn't make it through the screen!!! I gently shook the bin and moved the leaves around with my fingers a little.

Name:	resin2 copy.jpg
Views:	1855
Size:	269.3 KB
ID:	463781Click image for larger version

Name:	resin3 copy.jpg
Views:	1829
Size:	254.7 KB
ID:	463782

It just kept coming and coming!!! I'm delighted with the amount and purity. I just ordered a hash press.
    let us know mate when get press show us how it goes nice one

Comment

That is a great way to do it. I trim over my keif box, which isn't as large as this. The added size would be nice, fabulous review, thanks.

I've wondered if I took my collected kief and ran it through my bubble bags with water, if I could get further separation of the different micron trichome heads. Don't exactly want to waste a bunch of dry sift learning the hard way though.

Comment

I have a large box of 1000 sheets of 16" x 24" Quilon Parchment Paper Liner Sheets. I line the trim bin, I lay the branches and buds before and after trimming, I keep my sugar leaf on them while they dry. Can't beat them for keeping things neat and non-sticky.

Name:	quillon parchment sheets.jpg
Views:	1702
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	464012
        Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
        2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
        Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
          SoOrbudgal commented
          Editing a comment
          I did'nt know it came in sheets, i got a roll of it.

• bboyfromwayback
          Editing a comment
          SoOrbudgal right! She’s turning me onto all kinds of good stuff lol that box of precut sheets is pretty sweet

• Farmbuck
          Farmbuck commented
          Editing a comment
          Wife buy it at Costco

Canadian Government just gave us old agers - well me - $600.00 for COVID relief. Got it on order+a cheapass press.
        ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
        Mars Hydro
        Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

• ChadWestport
          ChadWestport commented
          Editing a comment
          lol. Not gonna lie, covid money bought me a new light. Good stuff Canuck, enjoy the new toys.

• bboyfromwayback
          Editing a comment
          I wouldn’t have spent the money on my new lights if it wasn’t for Covid relief

• alltatup
          alltatup commented
          Editing a comment
          Cannabis is covid relief!!!!!!!

20 minutes of sifting and I made this little pile of kief.
        5x5 Gorilla tent
        Spectrum King SK402 - 2× Optic XL1
        Infinity T8 exhaust fan
        Technaflora nutes
        Nectar of the Gods soil

Comment

• ChadWestport
          ChadWestport commented
          Editing a comment
          I've still made butter with it, chopped it up for joints and the trim that I don't heavily scrub on the kief screen, I'll toss it into bubble bags.

• PLreef
          PLreef commented
          Editing a comment
          Well shit... into the crockpot they go!

• ChadWestport
          ChadWestport commented
          Editing a comment
          Give it the smoke test. If a joint gets you high, it's still got some goodness in it.

I bought myself a TrimBin last fall (my local grow shop closed permanently over the summer...sniff...) and love it. I was able to get a little bit of kief out of my last harvest...but go figure, the jar somehow got lost in the freezer. I hope my mom didn't mistake it for sugar or baking yeast...well, guess it serves me right for swiping her parchment paper.
        ****tent (2x4) and large light (Relassy 300W LED) is in storage for now until I can solve some household electrical issues****

CoM Stonington Blend soil, distilled water; Liquid Squid amendment if needed, molasses for flowering

"I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up."

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X