Magnesium Deficiency??? Super Soil Indoor Grow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Magnesium Deficiency??? Super Soil Indoor Grow

I am on Day 105 of my first ever "Super Soil" Indoor Grow (White Widow, Peyote WiFi) my plants are trying to tell me something. According to the GWE Plant Doctor I think it may be a Magnesium deficiency but not sure. I followed the directions from the GWE article on growing in Super Soil. Started the grow on 3.01.201 germinating in H2O then transplanted the seedlings into two fabric pots on 3.07.2021 with the ratios of Super Soil, Coco Coir and Baccto potting mix. I use only PH tap water per directions at about 6.5 +/- but found the watering schedule to be way to much resulting in fungus gnats. Cut back on H2O and let soil dry out / no more fungus gnats. As of today I am at Day 105 in Super Soil mix and the plants started showing signs of some sort of stress about a week or two ago. So I placed them outdoors on my deck in the sun and gave them 8 cups of PH'd H2O not knowing what else to do. So I figured it was time to call in the heavy hitters to see if they have any suggestions. I will try to post pictures to show what exactly I am talking about. Thanks for your time and patience with this long post, look forward to any and all suggestions.

This is just my opinion. 1) There is leaf clawing. 2) Leaves are not nice and green and some discoloration as well. 3) Soil mix is kind of a mystery to me... I only use FFOF straight up, nothing else added. 4) Where is the pH of water going in and pH coming out? You have some combination going on here. As I understand leaf clawing is from too much Nitrogen but you do not have dark green leaves. It does not look like a Magnesium issue possibly a potassium issue, not sure. There is also the possibility of Zinc deficiency. This tends to lead me in the direction of your nutrients being used and how strong, you soil pH, and water pH, and how often you water, but since you let it dry out and stressed them til they rebounded, hard to say at this point. I can only suggest you flush with pH 6.0 to 6.5 water (don't drown it but water thoroughly and get at least a 10 - 20% run-off), watch and see how they respond (since I use FF products, I cannot help you in this area) It seems to me there is something amiss between the soil and the nutrients used. I did look up some of your symptoms and it seems it points again to soil and nutrients used. I hope this may help clarify some of your issues... There are "remedies" you can also google or search for to help as well. From what I see, nice plants, just need the proper TLC. They should bounce back healthy. You also might have to get rid of the "bad" or "dead" leaves to help encourage new growth.

I was not aware that this was an organic grow. I only did it 1 time with the same soil (technically it is organic) and was disappointed with the results, therefore I was under the assumption this was a soil grow. You don't feed the plant, you feed the soil...
    Last edited by NuggetMan; 06-20-2021, 10:27 AM.

Comment

• oldandintheway
      oldandintheway commented
      Editing a comment
      I use NO nutes at all, that is supposed to be the purpose of the "Nature's Living Soil Super Soil Concentrate". Every grow before this I always used FF products but was trying this to see if I could get by without using Nutes. This was in the January 9th 2021 Edition of the GWE Newsletter. The plants were way to damp in the beginning and that was the only time that they dried out, after the gnats were gone they were on a regular watering schedule. I did however read in the article (Jan 9th) that if leaves were beginning to discolor or droop side dress with a little more Nature's Living Super Soil Concentrate. I guess I will check the ph runoff but in this type of grow you are discouraged from having runoff because you'll be flushing out the the nutrients contained in the Super Soil. Thanks for your time and advice!

Looks fine to me. You’re 105 days into a auto grow, there will be no new growth. The plant is maturing. You went a lot longer using living soil than I did before I started feeding regularly.

Comment

• oldandintheway
      oldandintheway commented
      Editing a comment
      This is not an Auto Grow, These are Feminised Photo period, White Widow and Peyote WiFi

• bboyfromwayback
      bboyfromwayback commented
      Editing a comment
      Either way, even with photos. If you’re 105 days into flower, they’re about done

• oldandintheway
      oldandintheway commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks

Doesn’t look bad to me since you’re so far along for an auto grow. I wouldn’t flush since you’re doing a super soil grow.

Comment

• oldandintheway
      oldandintheway commented
      Editing a comment
      This not an Auto Grow, these are feminised Phot period, White Widow and Peyote WiFi.

• Rik
      Rik commented
      Editing a comment
      oldandintheway oh sorry for the misunderstanding, my bad!

kind of looks like heat stress. what is the daytime temps in your area, and how much direct sunlight are they getting?

Comment

• oldandintheway
      oldandintheway commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks johnb1963, these are indoor plants that are in a grow tent with 75 to 80 F temps and 45% humidity. Just had them out so I could get a good look at them. thanks again

You've got a fairly large plant in a medium sized pot. What are you feeding your soil? A key step in having super soil is maintaining a living balance of microbes and bacteria in your soil. I feed my soil with a tea made of blackstrap, Epsom, and worm castings. The blackstrap feeds the bacteria, the Epsom provides more magnesium for the plant, and the worm castings introduce new bacteria and enzymes. When the beneficial bacteria run out of food they die off and stop the process of transforming nutrients the plants can process. This is a simplified explanation but you get the point. Your plant is at a point now where it is looking for P&K and has little need for nitrogen. The plants are doing okay but I think due to the smaller pot, a boost to the soil during bud will help carry them through to harvest. If they were my plants I would remove those yellowing spent sun leaves. Hope this helps - good luck.

Comment

• oldandintheway
      oldandintheway commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the advice. Just one thing, this is an indoor grow and I just had them out of the tent for a short period where I could get a really good look at anything. Those a 5 gallon fabric pots and I haven't given them anything as far as nutes other than ph'd tap water. I went back over the Jan 9th article and it said to side dress them with a little more of the Super Soil. Temps in the tent range from 75 to 80F, humidity stays about 45%. Do you have a recipe for your Tea? Thanks again!

My bad. From the pics I was guessing 3 gallon. The recipe is simple and straight forward. One gallon of rested water, 1/2 tablespoon Epsom, tablespoon of molasses, and 1/4 to 1/2 cup worm castings, give it a good stir and that's it. I feed in small increments over as much of the surface as I can until there is a small amount of runoff. The bacteria multiply rapidly and that should help with the plant's nutrient uptake again. I do this about once a week when my plants begin budding. I will sometimes add some banana or avocado to my tea for an extra potassium kick when they begin to develop more trichomes. Really seems to help swell the buds.

Comment

• oldandintheway
      oldandintheway commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks bunny, I'll give it try!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X