chlorine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chlorine

chlorine kills bacteria but some growers say tap is ok.Should I stay away from chlorine?.Duse

if u can afford not to use tap thts best but I use tap and just fill up my jugs and let them sit open so they can naturally let what chlorine out possible and I no im not the only one doing this and it works fine

Comment

• Beach_Town_Brit
      Beach_Town_Brit commented
      Editing a comment
      Chlorine will evaporate but chloramine is apparently harder to get rid of. I think it's worth checking your local water service to see if they've switched to chloramine. I use the big Brita filter which seemed like an affordable approach to me.

I think it's a matter of degree. Tap water will work, but filtering out chlorine and chloramine will work better. As I understand it, chlorine kills all the good bacteria the roots need to be able to feed properly.
    My first grow I just used tap and things weren't great. I looked into my water and found it had a bunch of chloramine which is extra evil (amonia and chlorine ... lovely!). I started using a water filter and things improved. Of course, it could be a million other factors but I'll never go back to plain tap.
    Sand, sea, sun, sausages, and sinsemilla.

About all you can do in life is be who you are. Some people will love you for you. Most will love you for what you can do for them, and some won't like you at all.

-Rita Mae Brown

My Small Tent, Monthly Harvest, Perpetual Auto Grow

My IG

Comment

• Weed Pharma
      Weed Pharma commented
      Editing a comment
      I use a Brita with tap water-
      If that wasn't working for me I would use Zero water filtration- inexpensive for what it does.

• Beach_Town_Brit
      Beach_Town_Brit commented
      Editing a comment
      Bklyndiaz I use standard Brita filters and their 18 cup Ultramax unit http://www.target.com/p/brita-ultram...k/-/A-50452482

• Bklyndiaz
      Bklyndiaz commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you @beach_town_Brit
      I'm gonna give it a try, like you, I CAN confirm the chloramine in my water, its some nasty stuff that my plants DEFINITELY do not like.
      Thank all!

Originally posted by St.buds View Post
    if u can afford not to use tap thts best but I use tap and just fill up my jugs and let them sit open so they can naturally let what chlorine out possible and I no im not the only one doing this and it works fine
    That is the way I do it also. Depends on where you are.
    Focus and relativity.

Comment

hello everybody. i'm still planning/setting up my first grow and one of my bigger little worries is how much chlorine is in my tap water. like you can smell

"i try to play the ball not the opponent."--Roger Federer

Comment

Still on tap water and im sure they chlorinate the shite out of it,when season starts you can smell it in the first runs! (Sinusitis has to allow that) And yes im 100% sure there are many factors to my not-so-well growing plants,chlorine might just be one of them!! I'll second the Britta for i also have one but just the small 2L bucket for drinking use...Next time around i will let the water sit for a while or as BT_Brit ill get the main Britta filter to filter that particular tap's water...
        Tent : 4x4

HPS/MH
        600W

LED
        2x Viparspectra v300

Substrate
        BioBizzLight Mix
        Felt Pots 15/25L

Advanced Nutrients
        Grow , Micro , Bloom , B-52
        Bud Ignitor , Big Bud, Overdrive
        CalMag Xtra

Completed Journals
        Nartak's 1st Grow - Canna Nutes - HPS 600W

Comment

If you can then yes stay away from chlorine. Not useful at all. It kills the good bacteria your supposed to have on the soil and roots

Comment

I was in an aquarium shop today and noticed they sold chlorine removing tablets.......didn't check them out though ......don't know if they would help
            The more I know, the better I grow.

Comment

• Nartak
              Nartak commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah i through about that also,never check to see what they contain tho..Will do next time i go for pups shopping..

I have always used Aqueon - Water Conditioner (makes tap water safe for fish) Instantly neutralizes chlorine and chloramines in tap water.

Before I make a nutrient bucket, this is the first thing I use, and I let it settle for about 5 min. And here is a current pic of what my bud looks like last week in week 7.
            Current Grow #16: White Widow Germinated Jan 2019
            10x10 Laboratory
            FloraNova in Recirculating Hydro
            T5HO White/Blue for Veg - 600 HPS + T5HO Red for flower

Comment

Welcome Duse, If you can smell the chlorine, then it is too strong to use on your plants. I have been using chlorinated tap water for all of my (5) grows and have not had any problems. My reasoning is this, first, there are fewer microbes in it, and secondly, filling my water jugs from the tap aerates the water giving it a dose of oxygen. If you are worried about the potential effects of the chlorine, just do like St.buds said, just let it sit out in an opened container, over night, and the chlorine will 'bubble' out.
              Good luck with your grow
              Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

guess my post above didn't take...just tryna save some time and energy....

anybody have experience with highly chlorinated water?

12-21-2016, 02:57 PM

hello everybody. i'm still planning/setting up my first grow and one of my bigger little worries is how much chlorine is in my tap water. like you can smell it clearly-- not as bad as a swimming pool but clear, identifiable strong chlorine smell. up until now, i've always used a brita pitcher to make it taste ok but i wanted to get input on whether i need to purify my plant's water more than that given my particular situation.

that is, it would be dumb to spend all this time, money, and effort on lighting, nutrients, seeds, etc., only to undo all of that with funky water.

hello everybody. i'm still planning/setting up my first grow and one of my bigger little worries is how much chlorine is in my tap water. like you can smell

"i try to play the ball not the opponent."--Roger Federer

Comment

• Vitreous
                  Vitreous commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Bob...If your really concerned about the chlorine.... I have always used Aqueon - Water Conditioner (makes tap water safe for fish) Instantly neutralizes chlorine and chloramines in tap water. just acouple of mls in each 5gal and presto clean drinkable water.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X